Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Week 9 (8-0) Lucasville Valley @ (7-1) Wheelersburg

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

You can't base this game on a game played in Junior High. Plus, Whitley is not even playing with the Burg anymore. Sure wish he was because I think he could be the difference maker in this game. He would have given Burg another threat out of the backfield either running or catching the ball.

I think one thing that might surprise the Valley O-line is first, they will look at Burg's d-line and more than likely laugh at how small they are and then second, after the Burg defenders are running past them, they will wonder how they are going to stop them. This is not your typical defensive line that has 250 lb tackles and defensive ends. Burg's line is just quick and will probably be the quickest that Valley has seen. I'm not sure that will make a difference, but if Burg can get pressure on Yates, they will have to contain him. I would put a spy on him everywhere he goes as Valley will probably do with Shears.

I still think with a sloppy field it could be anyones ballgame.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

as has been said before. if every year is "this is valleys year" they have to be right at some point. burg will make it interesting. valley is talented but they have been before. should be interesting.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

they will look at Burg's d-line and more than likely laugh at how small they are
When you haven't beaten someone in 47 years, took whoopin's on a yearly basis, you are looking for your first SOC II title, along with a home playoff game, not to mention having lost to this school in a regional semi in baseball and a sectional final in basketball... I highly and seriously doubt that anyone suiting up Friday night will be laughing at their opponent. These boys no what's at stake. I think they'll come in confident in their abilities, but in no way would they be arrogant enough to laugh at such a formidable opponent!

I can agree and see your logic in other parts of your post, but I don't think there is any way that Valley is over looking Friday night.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

crab_apple4 wrote:
they will look at Burg's d-line and more than likely laugh at how small they are
When you haven't beaten someone in 47 years, took whoopin's on a yearly basis, you are looking for your first SOC II title, along with a home playoff game, not to mention having lost to this school in a regional semi in baseball and a sectional final in basketball... I highly and seriously doubt that anyone suiting up Friday night will be laughing at their opponent. These boys no what's at stake. I think they'll come in confident in their abilities, but in no way would they be arrogant enough to laugh at such a formidable opponent!

I can agree and see your logic in other parts of your post, but I don't think there is any way that Valley is over looking Friday night.

Nothing intended by it crab, just a statement, because when you see them you will see what I'm talking about. They are by far the smallest d-line that I've ever seen at Burg. It's funny, because Burg used to hardly ever have a small defensive line until they played Versailles. When they saw how fast there line was and how hard they were to block, Burg started doing the same thing and to some extent it has worked pretty well for them. The Peach boys were a prime example. Those boys weren't probably 160lbs soaking wet and they were probably two of the best defenisive lineman the Burg has ever had. Those two were in the backfield before the lineman could even get out of his stance.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

I agree with what you're saying... Right down to the Peach boys on the D-line. I was just trying to point out that it wouldn't matter if Burg wore dresses and high heels Friday night the Indians wouldn't be laughing or taking them lightly.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:You can't base this game on a game played in Junior High. Plus, Whitley is not even playing with the Burg anymore. Sure wish he was because I think he could be the difference maker in this game. He would have given Burg another threat out of the backfield either running or catching the ball.

I think one thing that might surprise the Valley O-line is first, they will look at Burg's d-line and more than likely laugh at how small they are and then second, after the Burg defenders are running past them, they will wonder how they are going to stop them. This is not your typical defensive line that has 250 lb tackles and defensive ends. Burg's line is just quick and will probably be the quickest that Valley has seen. I'm not sure that will make a difference, but if Burg can get pressure on Yates, they will have to contain him. I would put a spy on him everywhere he goes as Valley will probably do with Shears.

I still think with a sloppy field it could be anyones ballgame.
The one thing you said that really stood out to me was the thought that Shears may spy Yates. My thought was that maybe Spears would go man up on Dwyer on the outside. I think that Valley can exploit (and no disrespect) the match up with, I believe his name is Claxon. I believe he is one of the starting corners and only looks to be about 5'6" or 5'7". Robbie is a legit 6'6". This could be a tough match up for the Burg.

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

I like the Pirates of Wheelersburg in this contest

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

yabba,

When I think of small Burd d-linemen, my first thought goes back to Justin Hawes (I think that is his first name...Chad's younger brother). Wasn't he one helluva NG and also only about 160lbs soaking wet back in '93 (class of '94). What year was the Versailles game that changed the d-line philosophy? I was thinking that was the '94 State Semi's with Jon Eaton, Rex Pyles, Mack Wolfenbarger, Andy Blankenship, etc. from the class of '95.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Crab's brother wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:You can't base this game on a game played in Junior High. Plus, Whitley is not even playing with the Burg anymore. Sure wish he was because I think he could be the difference maker in this game. He would have given Burg another threat out of the backfield either running or catching the ball.

I think one thing that might surprise the Valley O-line is first, they will look at Burg's d-line and more than likely laugh at how small they are and then second, after the Burg defenders are running past them, they will wonder how they are going to stop them. This is not your typical defensive line that has 250 lb tackles and defensive ends. Burg's line is just quick and will probably be the quickest that Valley has seen. I'm not sure that will make a difference, but if Burg can get pressure on Yates, they will have to contain him. I would put a spy on him everywhere he goes as Valley will probably do with Shears.I still think with a sloppy field it could be anyones ballgame.
The one thing you said that really stood out to me was the thought that Shears may spy Yates. My thought was that maybe Spears would go man up on Dwyer on the outside. I think that Valley can exploit (and no disrespect) the match up with, I believe his name is Claxon. I believe he is one of the starting corners and only looks to be about 5'6" or 5'7". Robbie is a legit 6'6". This could be a tough match up for the Burg.

What I said Burg will have to put a spy on Yates as will Valley will probably do on Shears. No, I agree, They will probably put Shears out there on Dwyer with maybe even a double team. I agree, this will be by far the Burg's toughest matchup as they can get enough helmets to the ball if Yates and Keller run it. With Dwyer, that will usually be a one on oe matchup. I don't see Claxon being the one to cover.

forward
Waterboy

Post by forward »

I highly doubt Claxon will ever be on the same side of the field as Dwyer friday night........ D. Miller at 6'3" , E. Miller and Shears at 6'"2" should be a mathup we can be deal with... Adjustments were made prior to the the Portmsouth game to compensate for the taller WR against another passing team. I think Burg mathes up better than West Portsmouth did in the secondary and with the smaller D-line rather that the Hogs WP runs up front, we may have the right combination to limit Valley of too many scores, as long as Burgs LB and ends can stop the run and the QB scramble

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Jesco White wrote:yabba,

When I think of small Burd d-linemen, my first thought goes back to Justin Hawes (I think that is his first name...Chad's younger brother). Wasn't he one helluva NG and also only about 160lbs soaking wet back in '93 (class of '94). What year was the Versailles game that changed the d-line philosophy? I was thinking that was the '94 State Semi's with Jon Eaton, Rex Pyles, Mack Wolfenbarger, Andy Blankenship, etc. from the class of '95.

Yes, Justin was a tough NG, but they first played Versailles in 1987 and saw what they were doing with the quick defensive linemand and Burg has been doing that ever since. Burg first started usuing the small, quick NG in 88 with Scott Vassar. He was probably one of the best to play that position. They actually didn't play Versailles in 94, that was Germantown Valley View they lost to.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
Jesco White wrote:yabba,

Yes, Justin was a tough NG, but they first played Versailles in 1987 and saw what they were doing with the quick defensive linemand and Burg has been doing that ever since. Burg first started usuing the small, quick NG in 88 with Scott Vassar. He was probably one of the best to play that position. They actually didn't play Versailles in 94, that was Germantown Valley View they lost to.
Thank you sir :122245

I remember thinking that the Pirates had played Versailles before I got to high school, because I never could pronounce it right as a kid. :lol: :lol: But, I somehow had it in my head that they had played them in '94. Regardless, I still don't think I can pronounce Versailles right, even in my mid-30s :oops: :lol: :lol:

I have always enjoyed watching the d-lines that the Burg has put together over the years. They've always had some quick, strong kids up front who's play far exceeds their size.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley is not a "passing" team.

Alot of rain moving through in the next few days....HOPEFULLY this wont be like that Portsmouth playoff game at Ironton...MUD BOWL. Anyone remember that?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

chicken_coop wrote:Valley is not a "passing" team.

Alot of rain moving through in the next few days....HOPEFULLY this wont be like that Portsmouth playoff game at Ironton...MUD BOWL. Anyone remember that?
I was at that game. It waa one of the worst games i've ever seen weather wise.

TribeParent
Waterboy

Post by TribeParent »

Alitown wrote:
forward wrote:I know this aint Jurnior High but i though some of you might find this intersting this week.......back when these Seniors were in the 8th grade the Valley boys came down to the Burg unbeaten in 7th and 8th grade, the 8th grade from Burg had struggled and had lost their share but were holding their own.. I am sure some had predicted a blow out and that Burg had no chance in the game or a victory.
But with the final seconds running out on the game clock Whitley took the snap under center sent the quick pitch to Schears, Whitley rolloed to the opposite sideline Shears then hit him with a perfectly thrown ball down the sideline for an untouched 6points and the VICTORY!!! Valley is favored i every aspect of the game some will say. but if the boys from Burg can keep this one close till late in the game there is going to be some nervous Indians on the Hill!!
That was also the worst officiating game I have ever seen.. I never blame a win or loss on officials but I'm pretty sure Keller had 3 or 4 TD called back. Ever long play Valley would have got called back. It was terrible.
I remember this game very well. Keller didn't have any TD called back and the officials were not bad. Rowe had the only TD for Valley. The TD by Whitley made the score 6-6 and the game went into overtime. Burg could not move the ball all game until when it came to overtime. Valley moved the ball well all night but had a hard time scoring. In overtime with NO lights and dark Valley couldn't score and Burg did. It was a very good game. I believe that if Valley plays power football that they could actually have a great outcome in this game. The size difference makes running at people negate the speed! I believe that spreading them and running with power could be huge.
Last edited by TribeParent on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Junior High scores will have NOTHING to do with any outcome. In 8th grade, we beat NW, and my senior year Doug Montovon and NW beat us 21-20

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

I remember. The HOGS from west side won that game. went to state.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

blue53 wrote:

I remember. The HOGS from west side won that game. went to state.
yup...mud was EVERYWHERE, it was insane..

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

that's all it did was rain. Portsmouth had a very good team that year, was really up in the air who was going to win. But they didn't have the size on the Line at all to play with west in a game like that. seemed like a foot of mud for a field after a couple minutes of play.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

34-7 Valley... and Keller makes the difference.

Return to “Football”