schedule for Notre Dame in 2011

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: schedule for Notre Dame in 2011

Post by ManitouDan »

just being very practical here but how often could we even produce a team that's a threat to win the state championship ? If we are honest the answer is somewhere between never and 0.0001 % .

why have the goal to get to the playoffs and get sent home after 1 ? I agree with dirt , schedule more appropiate to our school's size , win some games, and if the those things add up to playoff's consider it icing on the cake. And if a special group of atheletes come thru then schedule up. Until then lets put aside this belief that scheduling schools with huge numbers and teams that we don't have a legit shot at matching up with are a good choice for us.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

remember ND is not just some other school at d-3 or d-5 or even d-6. We compete well , but we do it with extremely small numbers to choose from. There are years where they might be only 40-45 guys in the whole HS .

BlueandGold
Waterboy

Post by BlueandGold »

ManitouDan...
I agree.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

No response to me blueandgold?

BlueandGold
Waterboy

Post by BlueandGold »

Sure...

You confirmed what I said about Valley. They did go 10-0 and not get in when only 4 teams per region got in...

I specifically stated Division 6 teams. Division 5 teams apply to this particular topic. We are talking about Valley specifically because they have done a good job in the past of winning games, drawing interest, and building on that to become a very strong program.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

ND has such a rich history of playing against bigger schools and doing very well..The ND coach has the team going in the right direction..ND has had the same problem as PHS in enrollment,,if the town,or area, has less people with kids the school population is going to go down...ND has never been a huge school but has played in the SOC and done well...Not being, or have ever been involved with ND I have admired what they have done with the numbers they have...it would be nice if they could play teams closer to Portsmouth so the fans could travel....either way ND will be okay...wipalawalt

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Even though there were only 11 kids on ND's Jr high team this year, they will have some decent freshman this coming year. with the coaching staff we have, the the titans will reach the playoffs soon

TribeParent
Waterboy

Post by TribeParent »

Maybe Valley can replace Huntington Ross with Notre Dame. It would give ND a closer game and valley a better game.

photo_electric_guy
JV Team

Post by photo_electric_guy »

We used to play Valley. 2005 was the last time that the two teams met. The final score of that game was 42-7 in favor of Valley. I think that they are a little out of reach for us but so is Oak Hill so why not. I say do it.

BlueandGold
Waterboy

Post by BlueandGold »

I wouldn't think Valley would want this match up. If they lose, they leave themselves open to much criticism. If they win, they don't really gain much because ND is a division smaller. Huntington Ross may get beat bad by Valley, but they are Division 5. It benefits Valley more to play them.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

O my' my Photo takin friend, We want no part of my buddies from Lucasville. Not a good choice, we need to schedule down not up. IMO MD

induct chuck
Riding the Bench

Post by induct chuck »

I don't think Notre Dame should schedule cupcakes, but toning it down isn't a bad idea. I like Greenup on the schedule. It's a challenge, but I think that the boys could take them. Greenup was pretty good this year and judging by history won't have another team like that for a while. Division 2 points are huge, and it's a "nothing to lose, everything to gain kind of game."
That being said, however, we shouldn't have those every week. I like maybe one or two games like that in non-league and then the rest be more even size wise. Maybe instead of Valley they could pick up Huntington Ross, Reedsville Eastern, or Racine? Nothing to easy though, you play too soft a schedule, the players get soft, and that ain't Notre Dame. ;-)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

current schedule teams records
48-51

Just asking how much lighter does it need to get?
4 playoff teams(one being Kentucky where almost everyone gets in)

induct chuck
Riding the Bench

Post by induct chuck »

Two 9-1 teams, an undefeated team, a team that plays D-2 schools in the City League in Columbus, and a D-2 team. The teams that they won against weren't very good. In my opinion, the schedule just needs to even out. I'd like to see more even matchups. It shouldn't just be cupcakes and strong teams. There should be some middle ground. Either way I think that the AD and Coaches do a great job, and that they'll do the best they can to provide our team with a challenging and rewarding schedule. It just didn't pan out the way most people had hoped this year.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

newcath--go back up and read Dirt Cinders post. you must have missed that one explaining why it's IMPOSSIBLE for ND to "lighten up" . We are one of the smallest schools in ohio , every week our young men go out against schools larger than them. every week.

Induct Chuck --welcome aboard and I agree 100% with your comments. I never meant search out the state for easy W's , but like you said , smooth out the schedule with teams we match up with on a more consistient basis. Should they be smaller schools ? I think so, like dirt said a few years we were the 2nd smallest school in state fielding a football team.

Lastly lets be honest where we stand , there is not a pipeline of athelet's heading towards ND the next 2-4 years. Some very small classes at this time. Jr high barely had enough to field 11 guys. The last 2 or 3 years we have been blessed to have solid teams and decent numbers , even for our school size. But to me it looks like we might even have fewer guys out the next 2 years . I would'nt mind keeping GC since they seem to have lower numbers/talent level also the next 2 years but Lewis is a better fit. IMO worring about playoff points is just not being realistic.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I can see where your coming from MD....we wont kno about playoffs until the seasons progress

induct chuck
Riding the Bench

Post by induct chuck »

Thanks for the welcome MD. Hopefully when I grow up, I can be a big "SEOP L" just like you! :122245
I get what your saying, and I think Lewis County would be a great schedule for us too. I think that those are the kind of games we need to get. Definitely not big, really good teams, but I don't mind big, mediocre or so-so teams.What kind of player wants to play 10 Manchesters? Like I said before: that ain't Notre Dame. I don't think the size of the school is relevant. We should be focusing on how we match up with the teams, and big schools do equal big playoff points. I don't think that the playoffs are out of reach for ND. And a state title would be miraculous, but hey, it IS a parochial school :lol:

All I'm saying is that they've done it before and they can do it again. The last 5 or so years have been pretty good, and really about as consistent as you can find in our history. With the right scheduling, You can build on it and maybe get some athletes in, get something going. Traditional powerhouses aren't built overnight, but there's some pretty good pieces in place and a decent start on it. We'll just have to wait and see where this goes.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I was not taking shot at N.D.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

don't even know what the L stands for --alot of my post were in the old politics forum --boy did the fur fly back then. MD

induct chuck
Riding the Bench

Post by induct chuck »

No offense taken here! Did the Green Wave win tonight? If so, congrats and good luck!

MD- I think the L is the first letter in LEGEND. Man, to get SEOP LEGEND would be quite a few posts!

Return to “Football”