ESPN Rise Up

ACCBiggz
JV Team

ESPN Rise Up

Post by ACCBiggz »

WELLSTON-- It has been confirmed that ESPN has been in Ohio, more specifically in Wellston, and that the district is in the running to participate in a project called “Rise Up” that would benefit the district in multiple aspects of their athletic programs.

While initial reports that ESPN had been in Wellston didn’t carry much weight, The Jackson County Times-Journal was able to confirm that ESPN football analyst Chris Speilman had been in contact with the district’s superintendent.

ESPN’s RISE UP debuted last summer with “RISE Up: New Orleans.” In the show, ESPN helped renovate athletic facilities at Eleanor McMain Secondary School in New Orleans. Work included new electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems, two new locker rooms, a state-of-the-art weight room, a coach’s office, a film room, storage rooms and new floors, walls, windows, lockers and showers, according to the ESPN website.

ESPN’s Rise division is dedicated to the development of high school athletes, as well as a channel for those athletes to display their talents and make connections for the future. Rise has an entire website devoted to this endeavor, www.rise.espn.go.com.

Wellston certainly is in need of a new football and track facility. The stadium, C.H. Jones Field, named after the prominent sports official, and located on Pennsylvania Avenue in downtown Wellston, was built in 1935, or 1936, according to Jackson County sports historian Bob Willis. It has been 11 years since the Wellston City School District has hosted a track meet as well. The track facility is located behind the football stadium, and is even more dilapidated than the stadium itself, with cracked asphalt, mangled fencing, and six lanes, as opposed to the eight that most modern facilities have.

In addition to the problems on the surface dealing with just age and wear and tear, the district’s facilities have other issues as well. Parking for C.H. Jones Field always overflows from the small parking lot onto the football team’s practice facilities. Cars are found on any given football Friday night parked against goal posts and tackling dummies. This often leaves the practice field with oil spots, dead grass and other problems that would accompany vehicle traffic.

The district would also gain in that a nicer facility with a larger capacity would make a new stadium a nice venue for neutral site playoff games, which bring extra revenue into a district where the budget has, at times, been incredibly strapped for extra revenue.

Efforts of many in the community have been made to provide the district with a new football stadium, though nothing has materialized, as the costs of embarking on such an undertaking would be more than most districts could burden.

The project in the works is described by Rob Tobias, ESPN’s Vice President of Public Relations for New Content, Original Entertainment and Enterprises, as “a documentary of a community volunteer refurbishing project of high school athletic facilities and provides the school’s student athletes with proper training and fitness instruction in keeping with the ESPN RISE mission.”

Tobias went on to tell The Times-Journal, “The show documents how a community has come together�”donating goods, services/labor�”to refurbish a school gym�”as well as focusing on providing safe and effective fitness training instruction from local trainers and professional athletes.”

In a later conversation, Tobias, when asked questions about the facilities looked at for the program responded with the question, “Was the field destroyed by a tornado?”

This question confirms that Tobias and ESPN did, at the very least, have knowledge of the Athens High School’s situation, leaving to question whether Athens could potentially be another district that is a candidate for the program. ESPN’s interest in Athens High School was later confirmed when Tobias confirmed to Steve Robb of The Athens Messenger that Athens was being considered.

Rutter Field at Athens High School was heavily damaged by high winds that ripped through The Plains when a tornado touched down in the county in September. School officials plan to use insurance money to make repairs, but a fundraising effort has been under way to make improvements to the field. About $875,000 toward a $1.5 million goal has been raised, which allowed the recent awarding of a contract to install artificial turf and a running track at a combined cost of $754,500.

Athens High Principal Mike Meek, who was reluctant to talk about the ESPN visits because no offer of assistance has been made, said the ESPN representatives were interested in how the community rallied to support the rehabilitation of Rutter Field, and how so much money was raised in a short time during a down economy.

Martin said the district would welcome ESPN’s assistance.

Tobias told The Jackson County Times-Journal that ESPN’s final decision on the school that is the chosen candidate is still several weeks away.

Wellston City Schools Superintendent Karen Boch would not comment on the possible relationship with RISE Up, citing that she didn’t want to draw any attention to a matter that has yet to materialize. Many questions about the matter will remain unanswered until ESPN decides what avenue to follow, with a decision to come in the next several weeks.
Jackson Times-Journal & Athens Messenger.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: ESPN Rise Up

Post by Orange and Brown »

I hope someone gets there help. I would like to see Athens get the help, but would be happy with any local school.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

I kind of laughed at:
Tobias went on to tell The Times-Journal, “The show documents how a community has come together ”donating goods, services/labor ”to refurbish a school gym”as well as focusing on providing safe and effective fitness training instruction from local trainers and professional athletes.”
If that's the case then you might as well skip Wellston. Living here my entire life, only a select few in the community do this. Ironton, Jackson, and other local schools that I've been around have true community support deeply rooted - Wellston does not. Not even close. I would love for them to come for the kids, but the community itself doesn't deserve it.

Rocketfan88
Freshman Team

Post by Rocketfan88 »

ACCBiggz wrote:I kind of laughed at:
Tobias went on to tell The Times-Journal, “The show documents how a community has come together ”donating goods, services/labor ”to refurbish a school gym”as well as focusing on providing safe and effective fitness training instruction from local trainers and professional athletes.”
If that's the case then you might as well skip Wellston. Living here my entire life, only a select few in the community do this. Ironton, Jackson, and other local schools that I've been around have true community support deeply rooted - Wellston does not. Not even close. I would love for them to come for the kids, but the community itself doesn't deserve it.
I Thought this would be for the Kids in wellston and the kids our part of the community! Just another Wellston basher speaking without thinking!

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Listen, I'm not bashing my home town. I'm simply speaking the truth. You live here as well and you should know I am. There are a select few in this community that go out of their way for the school and kids. I simply quoted that line from the story because if that is the purpose of the show - to show a town coming together and donating goods, services and labor - then they shouldn't come to Wellston because that does not exist and you know it. For you to immediately jump to me being a "Wellston basher" just shows you failed to read the purpose of the show and exactly what I was saying. I suppose if you wish to call me a "basher" because I don't hold back on the truth that our community doesn't exude these qualities then so be it, as the saying goes "Sometimes the truth hurts..."

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Wellston city school district has sufferd alot of loss this school year with the deaths of three of their own (Diane Tribby, Jim Derrow, and Tony Decastro) this would be a great thing for the schools and the city if it were to happen. I for one sure hope it does.

Vladd
Freshman Team

Post by Vladd »

It is great that both Schools are being looked at for help in redoing their facilities. Instead of choosing one School over the other, why doesn't ESPN help both Schools. Everyone knows how tight School funding is in our part of the State. This would give ESPN a lot of publicity, and they can afford to help both. We have a lot of Community pride here in Southeastern Ohio, just as much if not more than some of the richer Districts in the other parts of the State. Good luck to both in their chances to get some well deserved help from an outside source to get some repairs and rennovations done without costing the taxpayers any money.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

I've heard that this is now official and ESPN will be coming to Wellston. Chris Spielman interviewed Coach Derrow's son and daughter earlier today. Great news for the community, over the past few weeks we've really came together and I hope this continues to restore the pride in our town.

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Congratulations to Wellston! This community has pulled together and good things are going to happen.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Hope this is true
If so congrats to Wellston

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

It is noreply66. I got confirmation from ESPN and then Times Journal had the story that Chris Spielman made the announcement to the students at 1:30 today.

What I would expect them to do is focus on the home "bleachers" and press box and for Wellston to recieve a brand new track. Last year it was a two-week renovation so if they are holding true to that format it'll be interesting to see what else they can accomplish in that time. I haven't heard anything about field turf or anything along those lines yet but if anyone hears of their plans post them. Also, the show last year (for those that haven't seen it) isn't ESPN coming in and doing the work themselves, it's ESPN filming local contractors, businesses and locals donating time and money to complete the project(s).

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

For those who would like to see what ESPN did in New Orleans and the Wellston story with Spielman, go to espn.com and click on football.

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Congrats Wellston, hopefully they will build new lockerrooms so the visiting team can have somewhere to go before, halftime, and after the game to shower.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

'RISE UP' crew surprises Ohio high school with makeover news
Former Buckeye and host of the ESPN series Chris Spielman on hand for announcement

WELLSTON, Ohio -- At 1:35 p.m. Wednesday Wellston High School students began to file into their gymnasium for their last-day-of-school assembly. Thirty minutes later they had more than the start of summer to be excited about.

Producers and participants in the ESPN series "RISE UP Powered by EAS" announced to the students and staff that Wellston had been chosen as the show's next project and that they will be renovating the school’s athletic facilities.

The assembly was lead by the show's host and former NFL player Chris Spielman.

"If you look at the facilities, it's what 'RISE UP' stands for … the chance to give people that want to do well and want to take ownership of it, to give them a chance," Spielman said. "And Wellston is a community that will embrace this."

In addition to poor facilities and hard financial times, the school is still recovering from the unexpected death of former basketball and baseball coach Jim Derrow. His wife Sheri Derrow delivered the official announcement to the students who welcomed the news.

"It's kind of surreal, it hasn’t really hit me yet," junior Blake Downard said. "I guess whenever we actually see (the crew) and they start building, it will hit me. But it's great. It's exciting."

Wellston superintendent Karen Boch did not anticipate the students' reaction.

"It’s hard to put into words how I feel today. I'm elated, I'm excited about what's going to happen for our kids and our community," she said. "The reaction was more than I ever expected. There was like a synergy in the room that can't be explained."

That reaction included multiple standing ovations and some tears from students and faculty.

"I'm pumped, I thought I was going to cry and I don’t know why," junior Taylor Davis said. "But it's just too exciting."

Though students are excited for the construction to begin, no details have been established. The project will be led by BrenMar Construction.

"Wellston's been through some tough times ... they could certainly use a shot in the arm, so this program is fantastic for the community, for the kids, and we're just proud to be part of it," BrenMar part owner and 1988 Wellston graduate Andy Graham said.

The assembly and Wellston's selection is a testament to the community's resilience, Principal Paul Bomo said.

"We just keep getting ourselves back up and keep working as a team to get things done," he said. "Our school has always had the spirit and they will always continue to have the spirit. I know I can count on them to rise up."

The show "RISE UP Powered by EAS" will air on ESPN in September.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

This is a well deserved break for our community. The kids are excited ,and should be . This is what Wellston needed just at the right time to build back up community PRIDE. Im excited about this ,and the football team this season .
Buckle those chinstraps ! The Rockets will be Rockin you soon!
GO ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Will get new track. Things needed, new lights, new P.A. system, new home stands, new locker rooms, fix the parking situation.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

Any truth to the rumor that ESPN is going to try to talk Jackson into moving their game back to Wellston this year so they can put the highlights of it in their presentation? Would Jackson ever consider this if it would be proposed?

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

Jackson would do it that would be nice to have Jackson beat wellston on there new field and be on espn while doing it. Haha jk. That would be really neat for both comunities but isn't that up to ohsaa?

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Ironmannut07 wrote:but isn't that up to ohsaa?
No, it's up to the athletic directors at the respective schools.
Would Jackson ever consider this if it would be proposed?
Most definitely. Sure you would lose some revenue, but the exposure gained from being on ESPN is worth it. When they air high school games they compensate the schools, and I'd imagine they would offer a small incentive to Jackson for their troubles. But the AD at Jackson has to consider putting the program on a national stage, even if only for a few minutes of the last episode.

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

That would be awsome to see to small south eastern Ohio schools on espn now that would be something right there. Oh okay I didn't know how that worked thanks for the info tho.

Return to “Football”