Wellston Golden Rockets Football 2011

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Re: Wellston Golden Rockets Football 2011

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

An editorial for Tuesday's Times-Journal

ESPN’s work at C.H. Jones is anybody’s guess

WELLSTON — Simply put, your guess is as good as mine.

I’m asked every summer how mine is going.

Truth be told, this summer has been spent answering one question related to one topic.

The question: “What’s the latest with Wellston’s football stadium and ESPN?”

My answer: “Good question.”

As of last Wednesday, a groundbreaking ceremony —albeit secret in nature —was held at C.H. Jones Field in Wellston where construction — actually massive renovation — is officially under way on the 1928-built football facility.

That’s because Wellston was selected by the ESPN RISE UP program to have its aged athletic facilities overhauled, although what work will actually be done is shrouded in secrecy.

It has been top secret since ESPN announced Wellston as one of its selections in late May.

The focus has been on C.H. Jones Field, located away from Wellston High School itself along Pennsylvania Avenue in Wellston.

ESPN only wants its own production personnel and camera crew there, indirectly ordering a media monopoly — and blackout.

With what details it does divulge to the local media, it is done with explicit and imperative instructions — where to stand to take photographs, etc.

But ESPN’s under-wraps approach is also extended to Wellston High School Athletic Department officials and even district administrators.

One source told me that even BrenMar Construction of Jackson, which is the local company working with RISE UP on the renovations, has been kept in the dark.

As of now, access is essentially denied to C.H. Jones Field, and they don’t want anyone up there to know what is going on.

While speculation runs rampant as a result, it is ESPN’s project and it can do and say what it wants with it.

So speculation continues as to what exactly the renovated stadium will look like.

It was overheard last Wednesday, though, “you won’t recognize this place in two weeks.”

Here’s my guesses.

The home bleachers, the press box, the “Big W” Club concession stand, the weight room and both the visitor and home lockerrooms will be torn down and built brand new.

One of the hangups has long been installing an eight-lane regulation track, which was actually looked into the late 1980s and early 1990s.

But because of the stadium’s setup, that was almost impossible.

Either the track would have to be built separate from the field, or a new field would have to be turned into an east-west direction as opposed to its current north-south state.

Again, we’ll know soon enough.

But this is exactly the sort of speculation that ESPN wants Wellston to engage in.

It’s “Extreme Home Makeover” of its football facility, and the RISE UP program wants us all to be shocked — but in a great way — when work is finally complete.

It was also overheard on Wednesday that turf is going to be put down, replacing the current natural grass surface.

That might be the closest thing to a no-brainer in this entire project.

Wellston will be the first school highlighted in the RISE UP series, which will debut on Tuesday, Sept. 13 and will air on consecutive Tuesdays: Sept. 20, Sept. 27, and Oct. 4.

All episodes will be televised at 7 p.m. on ESPN.

RISE UP is hosted by ESPN college football analyst Chris Spielman and mechanical engineer and television personality Deanne Bell.

The greatly renovated football field will be ready for the Golden Rockets’ home opener on Friday, Sept. 9 against Gallia Academy.

I, for one, am eager to cover Wellston football games in a brand-spanking new and sparkling Bob Walton Press Box.

Until then, we should all just continue to speculate and be excited about what’s being built, as the anticipation is actually — and should be — fun.

As for exactly what’s being built, your guess is as good as mine.

Paul Boggs is the sports editor of The Jackson County Times-Journal. He can be reached at sports@timesjournal.com.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah, that sounds pretty sweet.

ESPN is owned by ABC and ABC really went out of the way to make the Extreme Makeover Show a big deal with dramatic responses of joy......Wellston will be very happy I presume!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If Wellston will have turf, they will join NY and Athens - who will have turf this fall as well - as the TVC schools with turf.

Is ESPN paying for everything? Was there any local fundraising for this? I think it's fine if ESPN pays for everything, but there is certainly something to be said for community pride when groundroot fundraising occurs as occured at NY and Athens. I think it makes something seem more community owned, if that makes sense.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I know what you are saying.....but it can also be taken the wrong way.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

The renovations to the athletic facilities at Wellston were all ESPN's selection.

More specifically, its RISE UP program.

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Thanks Keyser for the information. This project will give a lot of exposure not only to Wellston but to the TVC. I am with you let's just enjoy it and see what happens. The community is excited and ready to watch the Rockets. From the little W to Big W there is excitement in the air.

zipper1
Freshman Team

Post by zipper1 »

the boys have been working hard by the looks of things going good and the rockets should be a good group of young men to watch go blue go rockets.

Spartan4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Spartan4Life »

Why would ESPN pick Wellston, of all places, to do this? It's like putting a diamond in a pile of sh&t.

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Wellston and its kids are good people. It seems maybe the green-eyed monster has gotten the best of you.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

When are they gonna get moving on the facility? I was there yesterday and I can't see where anything has been done. They're really good, or really gonna cut it close if they're gonna be ready by the home opener!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

They will get it done and do so by keeping everyone outside of what is being done.....unless the countless attempts to steal all the tools and supplies put them too far behind schedule. Our county is notorious for those types of thefts.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

hearing rumors that Bren-Mar isn't very happy with how things are going with ESPN not letting them know what to do and with the stealing of tools and are wanting out of the project. Has anyone else heard this?

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Tell espn RISE UP...To put a wall behind the vistors stands...So they wont have to dodge the rocks that keep flying from the wellston fans..

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Wellston and N-Y have a great rivalry. I have never heard of anyone in my life being hit by a rock in the visitor stands. If that ever occurs anywhere you need to let the school know in person. I heard a HSBF does not know what he is talking about.

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

I know iv been hit with em the top bleachers really got whacked with a handfull of rocks twice when i was their last.. It really sucks gettin hit in the back of the head with rocks when going to wellston you allways have to watch behind the bleachers if your on the away side.. heck last time ny was at wellston this dude from wellston[[ becoase he was wearing wellston team gear]] ran up the bleachers yelling glouster buckeyes suck :lol: didnt even know where were from :lol: :lol: :lol:

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Will be going this year, sounds like I will take a gatorade bottle full of skoal spit just in case. Of course if no different than last year, halftime will come quickly not allowing me to be hit too many times with rocks. j/k Hope things continue to look up in Wtown. I know some good people from up that way!!

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Game is at N.Y. this year.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

were you referring to me Rocket Proud?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

sure looks like it

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Rocket Proud wrote:Wellston and N-Y have a great rivalry. I have never heard of anyone in my life being hit by a rock in the visitor stands. If that ever occurs anywhere you need to let the school know in person. I heard a HSBF does not know what he is talking about.
It happens every time we go to Wellston! The Police just laugh and walk away when you tell'em

Return to “Football”