OHSAA website, Fairland job open

Da Bears
Freshman Team

OHSAA website, Fairland job open

Post by Da Bears »

Just saw on the OHSAA website that the Fairland job has been posted. Let's open up the discussion . . .

Game day
All State

Re: OHSAA website, Fairland job open

Post by Game day »

It is late in the year to start looking for a head football coach! I have not seen anything in the papers about it.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

There is a very good candidate already in the Fairland System if they would give him a chance and if he is interested.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Brent Wilcoxen is the logical choice.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I called the BOE and they basically said there is already someone in the district taking the job. The BOE is not even going to put it in the paper I was told. Is this fair to the kids and the other local candiates that would be interested in the job?

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

^^^^^^
Who ever said these things were "fair?"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

BlizzardMan wrote:Brent Wilcoxen is the logical choice.

I agree. If they want to win, they will heed this advice.

94dragons
Waterboy

Post by 94dragons »

I think Wilcoxen would be a good choice. He had the program going in the right direction last time he was there. The numbers were up and his win loss record was improving. They should have never let him go.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

As you grow and develop as a fan of the great sport of American Football, you must always remember these basic tenets which holds true regardless of what level of the sport you enjoy (pee-wee, middle school, junior varsity, high school, semi-pro, college or professional).

1. When a team is good, it is because the players are marvelous and talented.
2. When a team is bad, it is because the head coach has the IQ of brain-damaged monkey.

These facts can be supported scientifically. In a recent season of the Discovery Channel Show MYTHBUSTERS, Adam and Jamie proved that it IS possible to polish a turd.

-- excerpted from SPORTS LOGIC 101: HOW TO THINK LIKE A FOOTBALL FAN, a course available through Spilled Beer Community College.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

He wanted to move on! He is a great coach and got the shaft when he was the head coach at Fairland before. The truth the only place he lost as head coach was at Fairland. Coach Wilcoxen is very knowledgeable about the game. Everyone always wants to blame the coach because it is the easy way out instead of wanting to really look at the situation. He is a good coach and good man! Now the bigger question is would he even want to be head coach at Fairland? I agree they should have of never of let him go!

Oh by the way, I have a friend that once had the Fairland job. He left after two days and took an assistant job in south central Ohio instead after getting his mail at Fairland. Said it was a very good move!

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Anybody have Fairland's 2013 football schedule? Thanks.

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

I coached the kids youre talking about and yes they were a very talented bunch. Pee wee won 2 turf bowls going 19-1 over a two year span. I also coached them in MS . We were 6-2 with losses to Barboursville and a 3 OT thriller to the "peake". These same kids went pretty far in Baseball also. Deep into the Ohio BB playoffs. I believe they also won the OVC in 7 and 8th basketball. So to say those years are worthless is not a very intelligent thing to say. Talent and skills are developed at an early age. Do you think you can be successful with kids that come into
HS with no experience. I think not. But after all, I'm just a peewee/MS coach.

Coach Baker

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Whoever he is, the individual posting as UMP has a personal thing against Brent W., and no amount of reasoning will convince him that Brent knows a thing about coaching football.

I have worked with Brent. The guy studies the game hard. I hope that the individual posting as UMP (which is just one D short of a DUMP) spends as much of his time working to improve himself at his chosen vocation as Brent does trying to learn the game of football.

-- Dan Polcyn

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

KarlAgathon wrote:As you grow and develop as a fan of the great sport of American Football, you must always remember these basic tenets which holds true regardless of what level of the sport you enjoy (pee-wee, middle school, junior varsity, high school, semi-pro, college or professional).

1. When a team is good, it is because the players are marvelous and talented.
2. When a team is bad, it is because the head coach has the IQ of brain-damaged monkey.

These facts can be supported scientifically. In a recent season of the Discovery Channel Show MYTHBUSTERS, Adam and Jamie proved that it IS possible to polish a turd.

-- excerpted from SPORTS LOGIC 101: HOW TO THINK LIKE A FOOTBALL FAN, a course available through Spilled Beer Community College.
This made me laugh out loud Karl.lmao

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

UMP wrote:
mtswngrvsg wrote:He wanted to move on! He is a great coach and got the shaft when he was the head coach at Fairland before. The truth the only place he lost as head coach was at Fairland. Coach Wilcoxen is very knowledgeable about the game. Everyone always wants to blame the coach because it is the easy way out instead of wanting to really look at the situation. He is a good coach and good man! Now the bigger question is would he even want to be head coach at Fairland? I agree they should have of never of let him go!

Oh by the way, I have a friend that once had the Fairland job. He left after two days and took an assistant job in south central Ohio instead after getting his mail at Fairland. Said it was a very good move!

"Everyone wants to blame the coach" because he took a very talented group of young men and consistantly lost. He changed his offense every other week and the kids never had a chance to develope a "system". I know many OVC coaches that laughed about which offense to prepair for when they played Fairland. Spread one week then single wing then the pistol. I think he got his game plan off Monday Night Football or somewhere. The kids he had were winners all the way from pee wee to HS in every sport they played. NO, I did not have a child play for him but followed that group of kids all the way up through school. He had his chance...... now lets get someone from outside Fairland and bring in a new POSITIVE attitude. P.S how was the record at Huntington High when he was O.C.? One and done!!
I agree let someone outside the area of Fairland Coach the team. Next build a football field that the kids can be pround of!!!

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

coachb wrote:I coached the kids youre talking about and yes they were a very talented bunch. Pee wee won 2 turf bowls going 19-1 over a two year span. I also coached them in MS . We were 6-2 with losses to Barboursville and a 3 OT thriller to the "peake".
If my info is correct, these talented players played their senior year for Coach Roger Snyder, in his one-year return and still went sub-500, so it wasn't just Wilcoxon. There must have been something else. Could it have been these "pee wee prodigies" had not lived up to their 19-1 turf bowl prowess? Possibly. Could it have been that other teams players had gotten bigger, stronger and faster since pee wees? Probably.
coachb wrote: These same kids went pretty far in Baseball also. Deep into the Ohio BB playoffs. I believe they also won the OVC in 7 and 8th basketball. So to say those years are worthless is not a very intelligent thing to say. Talent and skills are developed at an early age. Do you think you can be successful with kids that come into HS with no experience. I think not.

I am sorry, but baseball and basketball talent does not necessarily equate to football talent. Look at Ironton or Coal Grove for example, they had killer, state playoff football programs year in and year out, but their basketball and baseball was mediocre. Portsmouth had killer basketball teams but football suffered for quite a while off and on. Sure, there are exceptions for cross-over talent but again, apples to oranges. I didn't say the early years are worthless, I said the records are worthless. My inference is that wins at those levels are not a guarantee of success at the high school level. Some kids grow, some don't. Some get better some don't. As far as intelligence, I think I will survive.
coachb wrote:But after all, I'm just a peewee/MS coach. Coach Baker

You said it, not me. And seeing as how you still seem excited, after all these years, over a "3 OT thriller" in MS, I think your assessment fits.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

I've got to say...Brent is a hard worker and is constantly studying the game...doing the things that give him the edge....if he were to have some talent..he could do some things in this area some might not have seen...it takes more than just knowing the game...you have to keep up with the game...and that he does.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Who is the new Fairland head coach?

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Who is the new Fairland head coach?

Game day
All State