WEEK 7: LOGAN (3-3) @ JACKSON (6-0)

doubleplay643
S

Re: WEEK 7: LOGAN (3-3) @ JACKSON (6-0)

Post by doubleplay643 »

Locos - every week this squad starts to make greater inroads to what is something special. I have been hedging trying not to get caught up in all the hoopla but it is harder every week not to think that way.

Modus Operandi for this group is their physicality on both sides of ball, Logan for an entire quarter went blow for blow but at some point after we tied up the score it swung our way and defensively they smelled blood in the water and figured some things out Logan was doing and started to shut things down.

In order to rise to a really great team, I think we need to make sure that physicality doesn't cross over into being undisciplined (it is a fine line) and continuing to develop offensively each week with all the weapons we have. Like to see us take some shots down field when we have single coverage, use Leach or Farley on a jet sweep or some bubble screens. But bread and butter with this group is going to be smash mouth cause all 40+ dressed have grown up practicing that style of ball lol.

Mention above of the secondary is "kinda" accurate, but the coverage with exception of one TE that slid down the seam was good. It was not that the coverage wasn't good, it was the DB just never found the ball till late, and give the Logan athletes some credit they made some plays.

Score was not indicative of the team Logan is or has, and I know the junior class will be ready for us next year.

We will have a week 1 Saturday game in 2015. Me and a my guess is a car full of guys will be sitting in Logan that first Friday night watching a certain game there. :122249

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

If the suggestion is that the one seam route was the only receiver uncovered all night, I will politely disagree. There weren't receivers running wild be there were several times receivers were open. Like I said the coverage this season has been vastly improved over the past. It is a high school team.
I disagree also about taking shots down the field. Coach Hall does take those shots but sometimes coverage and protections dictate otherwise. I've always believed that you can easily outcoach yourself by going away from what's working to offset adjustments that you expect to be made by your opponent but are not or just for the sake of mixing it up. Play calling is a fine art. Coach Hall was a good play caller when he came here, he, as any quality coach will, has continued to improve.
Logan was not going to let the Ironmen throw deep but couldn't stop the power running game in the second half. The Ironmen have the luxury of several high quality running backs to include the quarterback.
You take advantage of what the defense gives you and adjust when they take that away. They never really took the cross buck away.

TigerBacker#1
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBacker#1 »

I am impressed by the effort and success Jackson has had this season. I am a big SEOAL supporter. However it appears the 600 lbs bulldog will be licking it's chops to get at that pass coverage. To be fair it is going to take a special team to contain the Athens attack. I know the Ironmen will have a good pass rush but Athens also has an answer for that. Trae Williams. Keep winning Jackson I want a week 11 home game.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

ji81grad I don't necessarily disagree with you, I was referring to one play in particular where it seemed that there was a wide open receiver (tight end) and Logan just missed the connection. That was the one glaring play I remember but perhaps there were others like you mention that I didn't see lol because an umbrella or two or three blocked me lol.

And in no way shape or form do I disagree with play calling, just pointing out Logan put 9 in the box with a 6-2 type of look to stop our run game. Several occasions there was single coverage with no help over the top and I thought maybe we would take a shot. Despite Logan stacking the box we were able to defeat it eventually. I am just worried at some point we will face a team that we may not be able to consistently defeat when it comes to loading up to stop the run. If you noticed we split out our tackle in the first quarter to see how they would shift when we sent someone in motion to that side, I think they were looking to set up a screen to that side depending on how Logan reacted.

As you know we have a lot of weapons and sometimes you are right you can outsmart yourself trying to find ways to get the ball into the hands of everyone instead of just keeping it simple.

We may politely disagree with a few things here or there but I bet we can agree this is a team that still has huge upside on getting better every week, and still has not reached their potential.

As always, Go Red, go get the Trojans!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

doubleplay643 wrote:j Several occasions there was single coverage with no help over the top and I thought maybe we would take a shot.
I noticed this several times also,and was thinking to myself if Jackson would just try a deep post or quick slant to one of them receivers it would be an easy score,Logan was definitely selling out to stop the run and still couldn't do it.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Our problem has been the defense all year! Need some changes on that side of the ball!

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

I guess I could see throwing over the top based on single coverage but when you're getting chunk yardage and scoring with base running plays I would question why? This team has already established their ability to throw in previous games. There are three results to throwing the ball and two are bad. While I recognize the need for a viable passing game in this era of football, passing just for the sake of running up the score or padding one's stats isn't good football. It gives your opponent more possessions. If you can run between the tackles, eat clock and score touchdowns, why do anything else? Entertain the fans? Impress the media? I still think you accomplish any mission in the easiest most high percentage way. Deep post passes are low percentage plays especially in poor weather conditions.

I have a difficult time questioning the play calling of a team that put 42 points on the board and beat a quality opponent decisively.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I am not saying that's what they should have done,but it was there when the game was still in doubt in case they needed it.Might need them plays later on when teams are able to stop the run when they are stacking the line,but I agree why go away with what's working,it would be silly to do so unless a team wanted to practice something like that for future games.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

doubleplay643 wrote:Like to see us take some shots down field when we have single coverage, use Leach or Farley on a jet sweep or some bubble screens. But bread and butter with this group is going to be smash mouth cause all 40+ dressed have grown up practicing that style of ball lol.
Just to be clear, nothing about that statement is critical of play calling. Nothing about that statement "questions" play calling. In fact it states just the opposite, that what we know the best is a run oriented smash mouth team...just to be clear.

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Stop the Arm Chair Quarterbacking, geesh we won 42-7 !!!

PIGSKIN
Freshman Team

Post by PIGSKIN »

Think we will see alittle more passing this week just because we might have better weather. Run right counter left for lots hard to justify anything else.

Return to “Football”