Huntington @ WELLSTON

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Huntington @ WELLSTON

Post by Blue Duck »

I look for Wellston to bounce back this week and get a win. Im guessing Wellston will be without a couple starters due to injury, but i still see them getting a convincing win along with some confidence.
Go Rockets!!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Huntington @ WELLSTON

Post by Dundas »

wellston by 3 tds.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Wellston has some weapons and some athleticism on this team and I stick by my preseason prediction of a 6-4 or 7-3 season. Look for them to give Oak Hill, Meigs, NY and Vinton County a game and surprise a few of these team. They beat NY last year and they have gotten nothing but better. They are gonna surprise some people.

Even though they may miss a player or two because of a concussion from first game they get back on track against Huntington this week by a couple scores I think.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Was at Wellston/Jackson game last Saturday. I will stand by my prediction of 4-6 for Wellston. I think they had 12 penalties, a couple of turnovers, and some very poor tackling. They get a win this week, beat Southeastern, River Valley, and Aleander.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Da Bears wrote:Was at Wellston/Jackson game last Saturday. I will stand by my prediction of 4-6 for Wellston. I think they had 12 penalties, a couple of turnovers, and some very poor tackling. They get a win this week, beat Southeastern, River Valley, and Aleander.
I agree with you on those four wins for wellston, but i cannot see them going 0-4 against oak hill, nelsonville-york, meigs, and V.C. I would bet anything that wellston finishes no worse than 6-4. With that being said, wellston get a good win this friday over Huntington. I look for a score like 26-7.

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

Let's take it one week at a time. I hope and believe the Rockets will win if they play well but it would be a mistake to overlook Huntington or anyone else.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Who is hurt for Wellston ??

I like Wellston huge in this game if their skilled players are healthy. They're backfield is very good but they took a beating from jackson.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Viking96 wrote:Who is hurt for Wellston ??

I like Wellston huge in this game if their skilled players are healthy. They're backfield is very good but they took a beating from jackson.
I dont think I would say they took a beating from Jackson. It was a hard hitting rivalry game,.. No doubt, but Jackson didnt just run through there 96. Yes jackson handled easily in second half when depth became the issue. I thought Wellston's speed was better, especially on special teams, and jackson is not quite as good as you make them out to be. They will lose 4 games and underachieve again

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

I was at the Wellston/Jackson game. It was a clean hard hitting game. I agree with you Blue Duck . . . Jackson didn't manhandle Wellston at all. Depth was a factor, but that is what you condition for. Wellston looked quick but not what I would call in great shape. They had some kids that looked real tired at the start of the second quarter. I am not sure Jackson is underachieving. They always overrate themselves. I think they lose 3 games this year. Maybe 4. Anyway, this is about Wellston. I think they win this week if they are close to healthy. Anyone have any info on their injured players?

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Not going to hijack a thread but reiterate a point I have made a few times on this and couple other topics. I would not use underachieve folks as an adjective, because this Wellston group is pretty darn good and I not only want them to win a bunch of games to grab the secondary points and because I want local teams and kids to be successful but the fact is I would place good money that they will win two out of four or three out of four of the games that involve Meigs/Oak Hill/Vinton Co/Nelsonville.

Hopefully the kids banged up get back to the field soon, it was a smash mouth game nothing dirty just a rivalry game.

With respect to Jackson and being overrated, not going to argue that point, but a lot of people year in and year out have high expectations and that needs to be translated to beating teams like we will see this year: West Jefferson, Bishop Ready, Wheelersburg, Logan and Ironton...if not then that 3-4 loss projection mentioned above will obviously be accurate.

Best way to prove something is not overrated is for everyone to shut up and go win one game at a time.

Wellston goes to 1-1 this week and gets back on track to what will be a 6-4 or 7-3 season.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

I agree that this Wellston group is pretty good they just ran out of players. I have to think Jackson held back some with Williams at tight end was split out most of night and is probably the best and most dominating blockers in ohio. I'm sure we will make adjustments this week or starting week three season will get long.

Oakie_Dokie
Waterboy

Post by Oakie_Dokie »

doubleplay643 wrote:Not going to hijack a thread but reiterate a point I have made a few times on this and couple other topics. I would not use underachieve folks as an adjective, because this Wellston group is pretty darn good and I not only want them to win a bunch of games to grab the secondary points and because I want local teams and kids to be successful but the fact is I would place good money that they will win two out of four or three out of four of the games that involve Meigs/Oak Hill/Vinton Co/Nelsonville.

Hopefully the kids banged up get back to the field soon, it was a smash mouth game nothing dirty just a rivalry game.

With respect to Jackson and being overrated, not going to argue that point, but a lot of people year in and year out have high expectations and that needs to be translated to beating teams like we will see this year: West Jefferson, Bishop Ready, Wheelersburg, Logan and Ironton...if not then that 3-4 loss projection mentioned above will obviously be accurate.

Best way to prove something is not overrated is for everyone to shut up and go win one game at a time.

Wellston goes to 1-1 this week and gets back on track to what will be a 6-4 or 7-3 season.

Oak Hill will steam roll Wellston!

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Oakie_Dokie wrote:
doubleplay643 wrote:Not going to hijack a thread but reiterate a point I have made a few times on this and couple other topics. I would not use underachieve folks as an adjective, because this Wellston group is pretty darn good and I not only want them to win a bunch of games to grab the secondary points and because I want local teams and kids to be successful but the fact is I would place good money that they will win two out of four or three out of four of the games that involve Meigs/Oak Hill/Vinton Co/Nelsonville.

Oak Hill will steam roll Wellston!
I want whatever your smoking buddy. Oak Hill game will be a dog fight

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

"Underachieve?"
How is Jackson underachieving? I never said they'd win X amount of games, they have a brutal schedule and will be in a dog fight. They may be anywhere from 4-6 to 10-0. They'll decide that on the field not on the computer. As far as the wellston game, this was a 20-0 game after 1 quarter . Jackson had some bad special teams plays combined with nice speed from wellston skilled kids made this game look closer than it was. Wellston did engineer one nice drive for a score. However , when jackson needed to score they did with ease.
Jakson had over 350 total yards
Wellston had 89 total with their leading rusher having 29 yards . Wellston only had 5 first downs total.

As far as jackson line not dominating , that's true to a point. Wellston did penetrate our backfield on occasion but Big Nate Williams is a stud at tackle. He is an anchor for that wellston defense. Wellston has some nice skilled players. They're not a bad football team and for jackson to limit them like they did was impressive. They game was a hard hitting affair leaving the wellston kids bruised and battered.

It was week 1 and both teams will watch film and get better. I hope we "underachieve" like that every Friday.

Good luck to the Rockets !!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good luck to the Wellston boys.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Nice win for Wellston tonight, congratulations Rockets and keep on winning. Get everyone healthy and go get after week 3.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Blue Duck wrote:
Viking96 wrote:Who is hurt for Wellston ??

I dont think I would say they took a beating from Jackson. It was a hard hitting rivalry game,.. No doubt, but Jackson didnt just run through there 96. Yes jackson handled easily in second half when depth became the issue. I thought Wellston's speed was better, especially on special teams, and jackson is not quite as good as you make them out to be. They will lose 4 games and underachieve again
"My sources" tell me that jackson is pretty good and won't underachieve like we always do according to blue duck ! Lmao

Return to “Football”