TVC: Consider this!

Bart Kowski
Waterboy

TVC: Consider this!

Post by Bart Kowski »

As I mentioned in a previous post, the TVC should be looking at creating two 9 team divisions in football. This would set up the very real likelihood that we would get 3 teams in each division into the playoffs.

Here is what that would look like:

Ohio - Meigs, River Valley, Vinton County, Nelsonville-York, Alexander, Wellston, Athens, and two teams from the SEOAL. Logistically, Gallia Academy and Warren would seem to be the best fit.

Hocking - Wahama, Trimble, Eastern, Southern, Federal Hocking, Belpre, South Gallia, Waterford, and Miller.

Travel costs and late nights on school nights are a legitimate concern for the other sports. So consider this for all other sports:

OHIO
Gallia Academy
Athens
Vinton County
Warren
Meigs
Alexander

MUSKINGUM
River Valley
Wellston
Nelsonville York
Belpre
Federal Hocking
Wahama

HOCKING
Trimble
Waterford
Miller
Southern
Eastern
South Gallia

Where does it say in the rules that we have to have the same divisions during the whole school year? Lets think outside the box. This would work. Some might want to juggle who is in each division and that is fine. Find a way and make it work.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: TVC: Consider this!

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

In your 3 division set up I'd flip N-Y and Alex (for competition) along with Belpre and Trimble (both competition and travel). It is exactly what many have been wishing would happen for quite some time now. I also think Jackson/Gallia/Warren are all interchangeable in the scenerio.

Bart Kowski
Waterboy

Post by Bart Kowski »

Thats a legitimate consideration but I think it is tough to sell Miller on the idea of driving past Trimble to play the schools left. I do think flipping Nelsonville and Alex would be ok.

If the TVC is hell bent on the divisions being fixed for the year. I think you have to look at three 7 team divisions to insure football playoff appearances. Why not this:

OHIO
Jackson
Gallia Academy
Athens
Vinton County
Warren
Meigs
Marietta

MUSKINGUM
Alexander
River Valley
Wellston
Nelsonville York
Belpre
Federal Hocking
Fort Frye

HOCKING
Wahama
Trimble
Waterford
Miller
Southern
Eastern
South Gallia

Would Fort Frye even think about this?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Fort Frye wouldn't drive past Waterford for league games against bigger schools and longer trips. They are happy where they're at.

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

TVC: consider this . . . you have a very solid league that will stay that way . . . DON'T mess it up. Let the SEOAL teams sink by themselves. You don't need them and I'll bet no one wants them. To the Ohio division . . . sure Athens in dominant right now. Their athletes will cycle down. It ALWAYS does in SEO. Logan did, Gallia did, Jackson did, NY did, VC did, on and on. Leave the league the way it is. NO league is perfect. What you have is a group of rural SEO schools that have financial problems, but good kids. The SEOAL won't solve your $$$ problems. That is school funding in the state of Ohio. My opinion is this, if this merger (even though that is what it is supposed to not be, but we all know the reality) happens, eventually one of the schools that is forced to move to the SEOAL version of the TVC will leave and take some friends with them.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Well said, Mr. Bear.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Da Bears wrote:TVC: consider this . . . you have a very solid league that will stay that way . . . DON'T mess it up. Let the SEOAL teams sink by themselves. You don't need them and I'll bet no one wants them. To the Ohio division . . . sure Athens in dominant right now. Their athletes will cycle down. It ALWAYS does in SEO. Logan did, Gallia did, Jackson did, NY did, VC did, on and on. Leave the league the way it is. NO league is perfect. What you have is a group of rural SEO schools that have financial problems, but good kids. The SEOAL won't solve your $$$ problems. That is school funding in the state of Ohio. My opinion is this, if this merger (even though that is what it is supposed to not be, but we all know the reality) happens, eventually one of the schools that is forced to move to the SEOAL version of the TVC will leave and take some friends with them.
I agree, 100%. Short term, a few schools win. Long term, no one wins with this proposal.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Why do people lose long term? I have read all 24 pages of the other thread and have yet to see why a 20 team/4 division TVC isn't good? I think it gives every team to compete in every sport.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

baseballstud24 wrote:Why do people lose long term? I have read all 24 pages of the other thread and have yet to see why a 20 team/4 division TVC isn't good? I think it gives every team to compete in every sport.
For one thing that makes all four divisions have odd numbers. That means week 10 is open for someone in each, as well as week 9, 8, ... It is tough to schedule week 10 games non league. If you want football season to end in week 10 so your basketball team is ready for the season this is a good idea. If not, it is a bad idea. Ask Trimble how they liked going 9-1 and not making the playoffs when they were in a 6 team division. Those are two reasons why this is a bad idea. Of course if you don't care about football, then it is a good idea, maybe.

Bart Kowski
Waterboy

Post by Bart Kowski »

I stand by my earlier comment. We need to maintain two divisions in football. That means we should not be looking at adding more than two teams. One team added leaves no late season open dates in the Ohio division and probably makes the most sense. Adding two would make division sizes identical and that may be appealing to some. It also allows us to go to three divisions in other sports easily.

I still say there is no reason you couldnt go to a three division format for all other sports. There is nothing in the rules that says an elephant cant pitch.....so play ball!!!!!! :lol:

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I've been adamantly opposed to the multi-divisions because of football-----I see no problems and some benefits to putting the other sports into divisions. You won't have the scheduling problems and could eliminate some travel if it is done correctly.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Bart Kowski wrote:Adding two would make division sizes identical and that may be appealing to some. It also allows us to go to three divisions in other sports easily.

I still say there is no reason you couldnt go to a three division format for all other sports.
Fortdawg wrote:I've been adamantly opposed to the multi-divisions because of football-----I see no problems and some benefits to putting the other sports into divisions. You won't have the scheduling problems and could eliminate some travel if it is done correctly.
Agree completely. There is a lot more flexibility in scheduling other sports (can really play any day of the week being the biggest difference), "play-off points" aren't a consideration, you'll likely play double-round robin so there's still plenty of league games to determine a champion, etc.

I still think 4 divisions (with 5 teams) is ludicrous and anything less than 6 isn't worth having a division, but at 18 teams, that seems to work out well for both football and for any sports who want to have another option.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:
baseballstud24 wrote:Ask Trimble how they liked going 9-1 and not making the playoffs when they were in a 6 team division. Those are two reasons why this is a bad idea. Of course if you don't care about football, then it is a good idea, maybe.
With the new division 7 ... Trimble will never miss the playoffs at 9-1 ... in fact, I don't think a 7-3 Trimble team ever misses the playoffs.

Bart Kowski
Waterboy

Post by Bart Kowski »

In a 9 team hocking, you are right. A 9-1 team, whoever it may be, gets a good seed. Go back to our original format and a 7-3 record is hit or miss to get in. We get lots of "guaranteed" second level points because we are playing each other every week. This is why we would be crazy to change the hocking at least in football. What we should be doing is trying to set up that same situation in the Ohio division. That is why I think the smart thing is to add only one possibly two Ohio division schools. Then, stay with two divisions in football.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Fartdawg wrote:Go ahead and throw away your sketch pads boys. The vote has been taken and the TVC considered nothing.
Well good for them. :mrgreen:

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Da Bears wrote:TVC: consider this . . . you have a very solid league that will stay that way . . . DON'T mess it up. Let the SEOAL teams sink by themselves. You don't need them and I'll bet no one wants them. To the Ohio division . . . sure Athens in dominant right now. Their athletes will cycle down. It ALWAYS does in SEO. Logan did, Gallia did, Jackson did, NY did, VC did, on and on. Leave the league the way it is. NO league is perfect. What you have is a group of rural SEO schools that have financial problems, but good kids. The SEOAL won't solve your $$$ problems. That is school funding in the state of Ohio. My opinion is this, if this merger (even though that is what it is supposed to not be, but we all know the reality) happens, eventually one of the schools that is forced to move to the SEOAL version of the TVC will leave and take some friends with them.
I strongly agree. I feel sorry for the kids that are affected by the sinking ship that is the seoal but that isn't our fault or problem. Gas isn't getting any cheaper and driving to Marietta and Portsmouth on a Tuesday for a triple header basketball game doesn't appeal to me. RV is far enough.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I disagree the PVC is dying. Frontier wants to leave and I doubt a 5 team league can survive. Trail wants out as well. Unless PVC brings in Belpre or Barnesville I doubt the league last 5 more years. Fort Frye would be smart to jump to the TVC.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

EasternDspy wrote:I disagree the PVC is dying. Frontier wants to leave and I doubt a 5 team league can survive. Trail wants out as well. Unless PVC brings in Belpre or Barnesville I doubt the league last 5 more years. Fort Frye would be smart to jump to the TVC.
I have always thought that ft. Fry would be a great fit for the TVC.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

EasternDspy wrote:I disagree the PVC is dying. Frontier wants to leave and I doubt a 5 team league can survive. Trail wants out as well. Unless PVC brings in Belpre or Barnesville I doubt the league last 5 more years. Fort Frye would be smart to jump to the TVC.
Um, OK Mr. Hyperbole, what proof do you have that the PVC is dying? Have AD's and coaches been calling you asking for your expertise on what they should do next? Let me remind everyone. The PVC (formerly the PVL) has been around since the mid 60's. None of the drama that we've seen concerning other leagues in the last 10 years. There is a reason for that stability. It is a competitive league that gets teams to the post-season. While small in numbers, they've done great in getting football programs into the post season, with good success, better than most leagues of similar size. Why would Frontier want to bail after 45 years? Who are they going to play instead, and who would want to play them? Go the same route as Beallsville and play a weak-assed WV league? Has not worked out too well for the Blue Devils. Not that it matters, looks like Beallsville is going to close anyway. Frontier gonna take their place in that substandard league? And go where? Seems like the travel would be as bad or worse than what they have now. And honestly, is not that bad, other than Buckeye Trail. All this conjecture just makes me laugh.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Well I heard it from a certain ad / coach but keep thinking it's invincible because it's not. I love the PVC but they need to regroup and get Barnesville or Belpre on board. All these PVC schools have the option of just being an ovac school. I know they are a little bigger but how about Meadowbrook? They have been getting pounded by the ECOL.

Return to “Football”