Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

N-Y has had a few go D1. Davey Boston, Brian Mays, Ben Roby, and Jay Edwards all went to O.U. off the top of my head. With Mays being a 4 year starter there at ILB.

BA11A
Waterboy

Post by BA11A »

I am trying to figure out who told Paladin that he is the only one who knows about foot ball and who told him he is the great all knowing on talent. Guess what you are on this site spouting your know it alls just like everyone else and it amounts to nothing. The things is these kids still have another year of school left and I know for sure and quote me on this that those kids I mentioned have more D-1 looks than you think. So make sure your sources are correct before you go with you know it alls.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Paladin wrote:Every year we get these dumb comments about the D-I "prospects" in SEO and each year.................................. well, you know the story. Bitching, complaining about how the coaches "missed" out on all the D-I talent down there. I'll stand by my evaluation. We'll hear the moaning & groaning shortly again.. Never fails. That's why this place is so entertaining. It keeps right on giving ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you missed my point lol, imagine that, I was agreeing with LoganLocos comment in that there are very, very few D1 players. The Williams kid at Jackson is the only one I can remember since Fenik in 1982, other than a few linemen here and there. Think we had one in 1981 Rick Milburn (???spelling) go to Toledo. But other than that they are far and few between.

Reagan Williams will go as a Linebacker (he has been offered at OU and Kent State), and as I recall that is what Mark Fenik went to Miami as also a linebacker.

We have had a bevy go to Ohio Dominican, Otterbein, Capital, etc. but a major D1...that is a whole different story.

This weeks game with Athens and TV is going to be exciting. We are going to find out a lot.
In a 5 year period Jackson had: Donovan Workman, Erik Davis, and Doug Wooten all DI scholarship players.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Though the number of DI (FBS) players are not what appears overly plentiful, you also have to keep in mind that the population of our part of the state is not as populous, so any real comparsion would be based on a percentage of players who have made it on to a DI roster. And the results over the past 25 years would surprise many.

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles

OV Football Expert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by gecko
Good Luck Tomcats this week. Represent the TVC well this week. Good luck to Athens and Wahama also.
Can you tell us why Athens is in the TVC? They are D3. They played three D4, three D5, and one D6 this year. Tri-Valley will crush them. In 2009, they missed the playoffs with a 9-1 record because they played a bunch of smaller schools.

lol this was on another forum from up north... BD93 and questionmark better get the numbers out and show these guys whats up!!! :-D

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Truly is amazing that they managed to get in the playoffs and by some miracle are representing SEO in the D3 Regional Semifinal, having played all those tiny little schools. But don't worry, Athens is in for it this week and will get what's coming to them because they are playing a real team this week, with real football players... unlike anything they've ever seen before because of their geography. Everyone down south is dumb and doesn't know what a real football player looks like, so they're not going to know what hit them this week. Wait till you see their fans also. It'll blow your mind how much smarter they are up there. They have all their teeth and everything!

thill2010
JV Team

Post by thill2010 »

Can someone from Athens get me a ticket to Friday's game

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

thill2010 wrote:Can someone from Athens get me a ticket to Friday's game
I got a Hocking river boat cruise schedule next to the swamp! Frist come first served!

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Pol Pot wrote: In a 5 year period Jackson had: Donovan Workman, Erik Davis, and Doug Wooten all DI scholarship players.
Those were all the lineman I was referring to above, they were all in 90's and early 2000's right? Does anyone know for certain if Jared Humphreys ever got a D1 football look, know he chose D1 baseball but was there ever a D1 football offer? As far as I am concerned he was one of most exciting players I have seen.

Lol and I may have just jinxed this Athens thread by even bringing him up lol.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

PREVIEW OF FRIDAY'S GAME IN LOGAN ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Feature_Article.html

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue allday »

Who cares. Let the kids play the game last i knew thats how you determined a winner not by how many d1 players you have everyone is talking how weak Athens is. You know they have pretty much same team that went to regional championship last year with an exception of Skyler Swartzle and he is curretly on the Ohio University football team. D-1 school

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Pol Pot wrote: In a 5 year period Jackson had: Donovan Workman, Erik Davis, and Doug Wooten all DI scholarship players.
Those were all the lineman I was referring to above, they were all in 90's and early 2000's right? Does anyone know for certain if Jared Humphreys ever got a D1 football look, know he chose D1 baseball but was there ever a D1 football offer? As far as I am concerned he was one of most exciting players I have seen.

Lol and I may have just jinxed this Athens thread by even bringing him up lol.
Humphries could have walked on at several programs. His biggest drawback was he never fit into that recurit box, he never met those physical requirements, too short for this position, too slow for that. Don't get me wrong the young man was a God-awful stud, but for the money investment some programs simply will not invest in too many players who do not fit the mold. He did fit the mold as a baseball player and had an amazing career, unfortunately he ran into the same issues trying to get an opportunity in professional baseball as he did trying to be a DI football player. My point is, Burrow and Williams meet those physical characteristics of a DI football player 1st and foremost.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Green Beagle wrote:
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles

OV Football Expert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by gecko
Good Luck Tomcats this week. Represent the TVC well this week. Good luck to Athens and Wahama also.
Can you tell us why Athens is in the TVC? They are D3. They played three D4, three D5, and one D6 this year. Tri-Valley will crush them. In 2009, they missed the playoffs with a 9-1 record because they played a bunch of smaller schools.

lol this was on another forum from up north... BD93 and questionmark better get the numbers out and show these guys whats up!!! :-D
Someone had better call Zanesville this year then and tell them that they are terrible and can't win a playoff game because in 2009 they also went 9-1 in the same region as Athens and missed the playoffs basically playing a SEOAL schedule not to mention finished behind Athens in the final computer rankings! Beagle, go pout in a corner somewhere about your team not making the post season and quit trying to run down our kids because you are mad that you can't compete with them right now!
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Ground Buck wrote:
Paladin wrote:Every year we get these dumb comments about the D-I "prospects" in SEO and each year.................................. well, you know the story. Bitching, complaining about how the coaches "missed" out on all the D-I talent down there. I'll stand by my evaluation. We'll hear the moaning & groaning shortly again.. Never fails. That's why this place is so entertaining. It keeps right on giving ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We're glad you are entertained, we got ya. Now can we just go with that, knowing how you feel, without you continuing to post telling us how you feel, and telling us how entertaining we are? JJ Huddle is calling, they miss you... :lol:
Ah yes Paladin, the great prognosticator himself. I love his formula....1. run down every team in SEO. 2. Predict the team in question will lose. 3. make some lame excuse as to why if the team does happen to win usually "because they played another school from SEO". 4. predict they can't beat a team from outside SEO. 5. make another excuse about the team being less than years past if they happen to win. 6. brag about how great he is after the team finally does lose while telling us all how he told us it was going to happen. 7. refer back to step 1. :lol:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

^ Nice summary.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Wellston has had some d-1 kids in recent past . Also in the history of the school including some Buckeyes. I would like to praise the kids from all these worthless schools the paldin speaks of who are serving on the ultimate team The U.S military . My son has scarificed in three combat tours in his 10 years in the US ARMY. My son played four years in High School and was well prepaired because of it . MR paldin you should recognize that winning a state title is not the most important thing these kids can do in their lives.

On the game good luck to both teams have a safe game .

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote: Someone had better call Zanesville this year then and tell them that they are terrible and can't win a playoff game because in 2009 as a member of the SEOAL they also went 9-1 in the same region as Athens and missed the playoffs not to mention finished behind Athens in the final computer rankings! Beagle, go pout in a corner somewhere about your team not making the post season and quit trying to run down our kids because you are mad that you can't compete with them right now!
Zanesville was not in the SEOAL in 2009, they left following the 2008 season.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

LoganLocos wrote:
A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote: Someone had better call Zanesville this year then and tell them that they are terrible and can't win a playoff game because in 2009 as a member of the SEOAL they also went 9-1 in the same region as Athens and missed the playoffs not to mention finished behind Athens in the final computer rankings! Beagle, go pout in a corner somewhere about your team not making the post season and quit trying to run down our kids because you are mad that you can't compete with them right now!
Zanesville was not in the SEOAL in 2009, they left following the 2008 season.
Zanesville's 2009 schedule

1. Newark
2. Licking Valley
3. Wheeling Park
4. Chillicothe
5. Beaver Local
6. Logan
7. St. Charles
8. Marietta
9. Gallia Academy
10. Jackson

I'm sorry about that Locos but a quick look at the schedule led to that conclusion and I'm sure you can see why. I have edited my post and thanks for the correction.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Green Beagle wrote: Can you tell us why Athens is in the TVC? They are D3. They played three D4, three D5, and one D6 this year. Tri-Valley will crush them. In 2009, they missed the playoffs with a 9-1 record because they played a bunch of smaller schools.
Athens Non-League
Watkins - D2
Jackson - D3
Galia - D4
Warren - D4
Fairland -D5

TVC-Ohio
Vinton County - D3
Meigs - D4
Wellston - D5
Alexander - D5
Nelsonville-York - D6

Balanced Non-League + Balanced League Schedule = #1 Seed in Region 9 ...
When Scheduled, Warren was D2, Gallia was D3 and in League Alexander was D4 and NY was D5...numbers change.

As for the 2009 season, Athens finished 9-1 and at home in a tough Region that year, as well as Zanesville...there one losses hurt them plain and simple...
Both had some teams on their schedule have really bad seasons...
Athens had (0-10 Belpre)(1-9 Vinton County)(2-8 Galia, Bloom Carroll)(3-7 Federal Hocking, Wellston)
Zanesville has (0-10 Newark), (1-9 Wheeling Park, Chillicothe, Beaver Local, Marietta) & (2-8 Galia)

(9-1 New Philadelphia) also missed the Play-Offs one spot ahead of Athens...All three Teams scheduled better non-league teams and All 3 made the Play-Offs this season...

fridaynightiger
Waterboy

Post by fridaynightiger »

93Bulldog wrote:
Paladin wrote:Just watch Prouty, the OT from TV. He'll be at Kent St. They plan to play him as a Center. You might learn something
Alex McCrory, the tailback at Shawnee, went to a MAC school. Big deal.

I'm sure Athens won't be scared of a lineman going to one either.

You might want to watch film of said lineman before making that statement. New Philly head coach, after the game, said that they built their game plan around neutralizing him. He also said that it didn't work.

Ya'll can stop the 'woe is me' sandbagging, as well. TV is not the favorite, nor some viking monsters from the north. They are just another SEO team that doesn't even get respect in their own league. Other than the TV fans, most thought that this year's squad would not win the MVL, and definitely not make it into the play-offs. Other than Prouty, they only have one or two impact players that are seniors, and only had about 4 returning starters. Athens is obviously the favorite, despite the posturing by posters on here to make it seem otherwise. Kenton is about the only offense that has been more potent in the past couple of years. All the Bulldogs need is a couple of defensive stops, and this one is over.

Tri-Valley will bring the 'smash'- just not sure if they can slow down the tremendous overload of fantastic skill players the Bulldogs will throw at them.

Return to “Football”