Portsmouth to the OVC?

goUK
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth to the OVC?

Post by goUK »

Do all sports schedule that far in advance or is it just football?

blacknblue
JV Team

Post by blacknblue »

ytb, it's not a matter of ironton giving in, it's a matter of the ovc wanting them in. ironton has been voted down in the past, and i'm not so sure they would get the vote to get in now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that would suit me fine either way.
much rather be in soc, but I have no control over either.

readn,writn,&rt243
Riding the Bench

Post by readn,writn,&rt243 »

Ironton will be invited and will join,most likely at Monday's meeting.

Gallia not leaving SEOAL yet, seven team league for now.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

readn,writn,&rt243 wrote:Ironton will be invited and will join,most likely at Monday's meeting.

Gallia not leaving SEOAL yet, seven team league for now.
Key word is Yet Gallia may see what the SEOAL has to offer in the future if they should decide to stay will the SEOAL find other schools wanting to enter the League or stay at 4 teams.

readn,writn,&rt243
Riding the Bench

Post by readn,writn,&rt243 »

You are right maniac, may see them and Jackson head to the OVC and add one more to make a ten team two division conference.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I think Jackson would love to be in the OVC maybe some of the fans wouldn't like to see them make the move but who knows.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

readn,writn,&rt243 wrote:Ironton will be invited and will join,most likely at Monday's meeting....
So what made Rock Hill and Coal Grove decide to let Ironton in?

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

If they do let Ironton in the league, the other teams in the ovc could be competive in other sports, but Ironton would win the ovc in football, year in, and year out.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

manwithplan wrote:If they do let Ironton in the league, the other teams in the ovc could be competive in other sports, but Ironton would win the ovc in football, year in, and year out.
they just got beat by Portsmouth and Fairland and CoalGrove both looked better against Burg then they did. Facts are facts.

blacknblue
JV Team

Post by blacknblue »

i don't think ironton is a good fit for the ovc. listen up forrest.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I think Ironton is a good fit for the OVC travel is local and fans would rather go to Coal Grove South Point and Ect..... than to Columbus or even Lgan and such if the was in the SEOAL.
Times are tight and gas is well not cheap and with Ironton shrinking more than growing school and Economic wise I believe the OVC is a great move.
Now the question is will it happen or is this just a bunch of talk.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Ironton is a good fit.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

I would love to see Ironton in the OVC and I don't think they would win the OVC in Football every year like some are saying on here. They have to get in a league of some kind. Their kids have nothing to play for except for the play offs, Right now if the season is half over and you know you don't have a chance to get in the play offs what are you playing for, were is the incentive to play.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I also think Ironton would be a great fit in the OVC. And, as an SOC fan, it makes the notion of the two leagues continuing non-league games with each other much more appealing by adding more options for balance with Portsmouth and Ironton. I'd also love to see Gallia Academy and Jackson in the OVC for the same reason. A lot of folks have talked in the past (and currently posts are made) talking about the above mentioned schools being a good fit for the SOC. Unfortunately, the SOC doesn't really have much room for further expansion without changing a lot of things in the league. Due to the number of SOC schools that don't have football, it has to be remembered that the SOC is already a 16-school league, with 8 schools in each division in sports such as basketball, baseball and volleyball. That being the case, the OVC is the perfect fit for the other schools within the "area" in terms of travel and competition.

If Ironton was also added to the OVC, the non-league match-ups to choose from could be rotated and would be beneficial to both leagues without a ton of travel and still leave room for a game or two for each team against stout competition from wherever they choose to look...

OVC
Fairland
Coal Grove
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill
Portsmouth
Ironton

SOC 2
Valley
Wheelersburg
West
Minford
Waverly
(eventually Oak Hill or Northwest when they are ready to step back into the larger division...possibly even both schools at some point, with Eastern Pike joining varsity play next year in the small division I think)

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I still don't think it makes sense for a 7-team league. You are going to have teams looking for late season non conference games and you are going to have basketball teams without a league game on Friday. Those are money makers. I hate that the SOC II is going to be 5 teams next year and this time next year Valley will be prepping for South Point in week 8.

The OVC shouldn't bring in Ironton unless Gallia, Jackson, or Raceland is coming with them. JMO

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

knightruner wrote:I would love to see Ironton in the OVC and I don't think they would win the OVC in Football every year like some are saying on here. They have to get in a league of some kind. Their kids have nothing to play for except for the play offs, Right now if the season is half over and you know you don't have a chance to get in the play offs what are you playing for, were is the incentive to play.
if they win there last 2 games they WILL get into the playoffs and crabs brother is exactly right a 8th team is a must.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Would you want to be in the playoffs with a losing record?

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

game day wrote:Would you want to be in the playoffs with a losing record?
with the schedule they play a 4-6 ironton is way better than any 5-5 6-4 team below them so the answer is YES and if col ready beats hartley , wheelersburg will finish 1st and if ironton is 8th hmmm sounds like a rematch could be brewing. but ironton must win the last 2 games

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

didn't Portsmouth beat Ironton? 33-20 I believe....tells me Ironton isn't that good and at 4-6 it would be a shame to see them in a playoff game.JMHO

Return to “Football”