Final: Bishop Hartley 44 Wheelersburg 6

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Bishop Hartley @ Wheelersburg

Post by Raider6309 »

Yep but Hartley has to get through region 11 first. A lot of very good teams. Zanesville, Tri Valley, Granville, London, Hartley, and Eastmoor are very good

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

The Regulator wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:11 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:24 am
FBfan007 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 pm Wheelersburg has a load of talent but they arent using all weapons. I was told by a burg coach that they didnt show ironton anything in the scrimmage against granville. This makes me curious because the play calling in the granville jamboree game was better then the actual game against Itown. If they would rotate people around like swords, Clarke, and when makya is back out at WR, then they could have masters as a dual threat QB. They need talent at the receivers to stretch the field. Heck, I'd even throw the freshman in at QB and have masters at WR if it means they are getting more talent in the receiver core. No need for the full house set when you have talent. Utilize it and they will be perfectly fine this season and could make a nice playoff run. Burg coaches are some of the best around and will for sure have these boys ready to go.
fan, that's strange that you said that about not showing ironton anything. frankly I was kinda shocked as to what I was seeing. but it may be a personel problem and just not have the players to do it currently. I have no idea how young burg is. but the burg I've seen for 30 years well they onside kick, fake punt, burn you vertically, pull trick plays on you. and in general, you don't know what to expect but mayhem. I felt like your passing game wasn't there for starters. I mean that with the utmost respect. ironton's wasn't either. I told a classmate. I hope when this rain hits, we quit trying to pass, because we didn't need to. the passes for you all were not there, and granted a bunch were dropped. but you all attacked the strength of our intrior and the tigers were responding. they were gang tackling, had great lateral pursuit and In general swarming to the ball. I just wasn't seeing that from the burg side. and they were worn out the second half while ironton was charging to the line of scrimmage and back from tackles. I have never seen that from a burg team. ever. my advice is to open it up, keep people guessing and dance like it's your last chance. ironton was just too fundamentally sound to be beaten that way. but good luck to both our programs going forward. nothing but respect from this ole boy for both squads.YTB.
I agree with this. When your only halftime adjustment on offense is to come out and run a gimmick play from the 1980's Bears to line up your biggest lineman in the backfield to open up a hole you're in trouble. The defense didn't appear to make any adjustments and Ironton's OL manhandled Wheelersburg's OL all night and the backs just ran overtop of the linebackers to get into the secondary. For a school that has always had outstanding linebackers they have come up short this year
Regulator, I agree with part of that. But not all. Putting a guard in to play full back isn’t the plan I would’ve went with, but I understand what the OC was trying to set up.
O line didn’t manhandle burgs D line. Did o line win some, sure did. So did burgs d line. 26 (soph LB) had a good game and did his job. Losing 6 hurt cause he’s so instinctual from that spot. Db’s need to get off blocks to set the edge and they didn’t. I like the LB’s and the job they did. And our safety’s played very well. Our d is just fine.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 am
XandO72 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:25 pm Picking a qb is well and good, but Burgs o line got gashed week one. They had their moments as well, but they didn't look entirely sure of themselves. Hartley is gonna penetrate regardless & if the performance remains similar, so will Ashland.
I can agree in part to what you are saying. But the play calling was obvious on Burgs part. Sitting in the stands I could tell you what was coming. I'm sure every Coach for Itown knew too. So I don't think it was too tough a game to call for Itowns D.
Noted. But also noted that prior to the game we were incessantly reminded of Burgs "superior coaching" by the Burg base.

I seen Woodard get outcoached Friday. 🤷‍♂️

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

callie15 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:21 pm Pure stupidity for who ever scheduled a school like hartley
No. It's stones. The coaches and ADs should be praised for up-scheduling. Hartley nation has nothing but respect for Wheelersburg and coach Rob Woodward who consistently fields a strong physical team that doesn't back down from anyone. I like those kinds of coaches. Ed Nasonti at Bellevue, Ken Shriner at Ottawa-Glandorf, Dan McSurley at Clinton-Massie, etc. Hartley has D-I Gahanna on the schedule for week 3. Another example of ambitious over-scheduling. Southeasterners like to gripe about the lack of respect from the rest of the state, but it's this very kind of act of challenging yourself that builds and expands respect. Ya'll should be supporting this schedule; not calling it stupid.

I think it sends a good message to the kids that there's no reason why they can't physically match up with anyone. Watterson played D-I Lancaster the other night and went toe to toe with a gigantic physical team trading away 20-40 pounds at every position on the line. Setting stretch goals for kids pushes them to work beyond themselves, and that is valuable lesson for turning teenaged boys into confident young men. Yes, this can lead to losses, but that doesn't matter. Wins are nice, but what is really important is whether the team is getting better every week and each individual is learning to be tougher and smarter.

Wheelersburg took Hartley into overtime in the regional championship game in 2014, knocking out two defensive captains in the game and giving Hartley a pyrrhic victory that resulted in them being outmatched in the state semifinal the following week. The two teams/schools haven't significantly changed since then in either enrollment or typical makeup of the team. One could say that Wheelersburg might be having a "down" year this season, but even that is a flawed concept in the grand scheme of things. There's no such thing as a down year when everyone is learning and improving.

This kind of self-defeating attitude is unhealthy for the kids and the community. During their peak years, Ironton didn't fear anybody, and they won't be "back" until they go back to that kind of scheduling They were the giants once. In 2010, Hartley went to The Tank and got utterly destroyed. But they picked themselves up, brushed themselves off and got back at it. Never stop working, fighting, and trying. That's what the kids need to be told. Hartley did get a rematch at the regional championship that season and beat Ironton on its way to a state championship. One loss does not define either the team or the season. The goal of every week is to be 1-0 at the end of that week. In the three seasons that Hartley earned a state championship in the last decade, two of them had two losses and one had three losses. So shake it off. Get back up and get at it. Good luck this week. Hopefully no more injuries for you guys.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

One of the best post that I have read on here!

Challenging young men to face adversity and meet challenges head on is crucial in all aspects of not only a game, but in building character and teaching unforgettable life lessons as well. Very well written and thank you.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm Yep but Hartley has to get through region 11 first. A lot of very good teams. Zanesville, Tri Valley, Granville, London, Hartley, and Eastmoor are very good
Eastmoor is down. They graduated a lot. I expect them to lose the next three - against St Chucks, Granville, and Walnut Ridge. If they make the playoffs, they'll be done in week 11.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm
callie15 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:21 pm Pure stupidity for who ever scheduled a school like hartley
No. It's stones. The coaches and ADs should be praised for up-scheduling. Hartley nation has nothing but respect for Wheelersburg and coach Rob Woodward who consistently fields a strong physical team that doesn't back down from anyone. I like those kinds of coaches. Ed Nasonti at Bellevue, Ken Shriner at Ottawa-Glandorf, Dan McSurley at Clinton-Massie, etc. Hartley has D-I Gahanna on the schedule for week 3. Another example of ambitious over-scheduling. Southeasterners like to gripe about the lack of respect from the rest of the state, but it's this very kind of act of challenging yourself that builds and expands respect. Ya'll should be supporting this schedule; not calling it stupid.

I think it sends a good message to the kids that there's no reason why they can't physically match up with anyone. Watterson played D-I Lancaster the other night and went toe to toe with a gigantic physical team trading away 20-40 pounds at every position on the line. Setting stretch goals for kids pushes them to work beyond themselves, and that is valuable lesson for turning teenaged boys into confident young men. Yes, this can lead to losses, but that doesn't matter. Wins are nice, but what is really important is whether the team is getting better every week and each individual is learning to be tougher and smarter.

Wheelersburg took Hartley into overtime in the regional championship game in 2014, knocking out two defensive captains in the game and giving Hartley a pyrrhic victory that resulted in them being outmatched in the state semifinal the following week. The two teams/schools haven't significantly changed since then in either enrollment or typical makeup of the team. One could say that Wheelersburg might be having a "down" year this season, but even that is a flawed concept in the grand scheme of things. There's no such thing as a down year when everyone is learning and improving.

This kind of self-defeating attitude is unhealthy for the kids and the community. During their peak years, Ironton didn't fear anybody, and they won't be "back" until they go back to that kind of scheduling They were the giants once. In 2010, Hartley went to The Tank and got utterly destroyed. But they picked themselves up, brushed themselves off and got back at it. Never stop working, fighting, and trying. That's what the kids need to be told. Hartley did get a rematch at the regional championship that season and beat Ironton on its way to a state championship. One loss does not define either the team or the season. The goal of every week is to be 1-0 at the end of that week. In the three seasons that Hartley earned a state championship in the last decade, two of them had two losses and one had three losses. So shake it off. Get back up and get at it. Good luck this week. Hopefully no more injuries for you guys.
S E V
That’s about as well spoken reason as I’ve heard for what the burg is doing. You really are “wisdom and truth”
Great post

“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:39 amBest talent money can buy
Hartley isn't a school with a large endowment like the big 6 schools run by religious orders. We do our best to help all kids have access to the kind of quality education that isn't available in the local city schools, but we've got a fairly limited budget for academic scholarships and need based aid. That process is 100% blind to athletics and was for years handled by our vice principal who was an extremely nice lady but clueless about sports. We had to keep a parent close by at games to tell her to not cheer when an interception was thrown. If the place would ever turn into the east side city all-stars, the suburban parents would take their kids, money, and support to the suburban publics. We already lose too many families as it is to the lure of zero tuition and the potential to move cheaply into one of the two Pickerington sports juggernauts. I suppose the haters in Minford would say the same about booster public housing in Wheelersburg because three guys from that area attending the regional championship at Nelsonville York in 2013 didn't hesitate to suggest as much to a Hartley fan wondering why they were sitting on the wrong side. Success attracts kids into a program. Success generates scrutiny regarding recruiting from the surrounding districts. The schools that aren't caught breaking the rules aren't super clever about getting away with it. To the disappointment of conspiracy theorists, they're just clean. Eastmoor Academy is a selective admission public school a couple blocks from Hartley. They have citywide open enrollment, and they're tuition free. They are known for good academics (relative to Columbus Public in general) and good athletics. They beat us in the playoffs last year. Nobody from Hartley complained about unfair advantages or cheating.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Everyone loves a transfer when their school gets one.

Everyone screams bloody murder when they get beat by a team with more transfers

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Jack Sparrow wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 pm S E V
That’s about as well spoken reason as I’ve heard for what the burg is doing. You really are “wisdom and truth”
Great post
Thanks! I never explained my nickname here. This season, Hartley's team motto is "Better Than Ever," and the coaches and kids are putting #BTE hashtags all over the place. The motto isn't an expression of what or who they think they are. It's not excessive pride. Instead, it's a clear and concrete reminder of their goal for the season. To keep focus. Same with my name. I'm not wisdom and truth. Wisdom and truth is how I strive to express things in my postings. I'd throw in a "Caritas" as well, but this is a football forum and we can't be too mushy.

TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Post by TruthBeTold »

XandO72 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:16 pm
14U wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:10 pm My opinion is go with one QB and that Masters kid seems to look like the future and a true QB. He is a Sophomore? If so,keep him back there for 3 years. That might open the field up and keep all the big hits off Mathews.
Ironton gashed burgs offensive line. Seemed like they penetrated at will. Hartley is gonna eat good.
Wheelersburg gained 200+ yards against Ironton. I wouldn't say their offensive line was "gashed". Especially considering that for 3/4 of the game they were a 90/10 run/pass team. With that being said, Hartley will win this one pretty easily.

TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Post by TruthBeTold »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 pm
sapientia et veritas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm

S E V
Great post
Brilliant post. I believe I remember that 2014 game as it might have been one of the best burg games I've ever watched (other than the recent state championship). Never seen such hard hitting football with both sides hopping back up and fighting forward. This is a good game as it will make our players better. Better competition leads to a better team.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 pm S E V
Great post
Thanks! I never explained my nickname here. This season, Hartley's team motto is "Better Than Ever," and the coaches and kids are putting #BTE hashtags all over the place. The motto isn't an expression of what or who they think they are. It's not excessive pride. Instead, it's a clear and concrete reminder of their goal for the season. To keep focus. Same with my name. I'm not wisdom and truth. Wisdom and truth is how I strive to express things in my postings. I'd throw in a "Caritas" as well, but this is a football forum and we can't be too mushy.
I like it. Christian love of humankind; charity. You sir, are a refreshing reminder of why I post on this site. Thank you 🙏🏻 for your insights

XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm Everyone loves a transfer when their school gets one.

Nah. The only people who cry about it either way are people who do not understand it is part of it. Regardless of who you align with.

And mostly - its the southern ohio small towners who cry about it. Transfers/recruiting, prep academies, etc etc etc - all part of the game. Why complain win or lose? Makes no sense. Either you accept the landscape for what it is or ya don't.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

XandO72 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm Everyone loves a transfer when their school gets one.

Nah. The only people who cry about it either way are people who do not understand it is part of it. Regardless of who you align with.

And mostly - its the southern ohio small towners who cry about it. Transfers/recruiting, prep academies, etc etc etc - all part of the game. Why complain win or lose? Makes no sense. Either you accept the landscape for what it is or ya don't.
I’d love to buy you for what your worth and sell you for what you THINK your worth Sargent

XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

TruthBeTold wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm
sapientia et veritas wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm No. It's stones. The coaches and ADs should be praised for up-scheduling. Hartley nation has nothing but respect for Wheelersburg and coach Rob Woodward who consistently fields a strong physical team that doesn't back down from anyone. I like those kinds of coaches. Ed Nasonti at Bellevue, Ken Shriner at Ottawa-Glandorf, Dan McSurley at Clinton-Massie, etc. Hartley has D-I Gahanna on the schedule for week 3. Another example of ambitious over-scheduling. Southeasterners like to gripe about the lack of respect from the rest of the state, but it's this very kind of act of challenging yourself that builds and expands respect. Ya'll should be supporting this schedule; not calling it stupid.

S E V
Great post
Brilliant post. I believe I remember that 2014 game as it might have been one of the best burg games I've ever watched (other than the recent state championship). Never seen such hard hitting football with both sides hopping back up and fighting forward. This is a good game as it will make our players better. Better competition leads to a better team.
I think any team should be credited for playing up. But the credit for it is where it stops. You either win or lose and after its complete, nobody cares about your aspired personal ambition. The only metric that is measured is wins against losses. The sentiment is great and commendable. But unless ya hang W's to go along with em - So what. 🤷‍♂️

XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:39 pm
XandO72 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 pm

I’d love to buy you for what your worth and sell you for what you THINK your worth Sargent
The feeling is mutual uptight guy. 😂😂

XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

XandO72 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 pm

S E V
Great post
I think any team should be credited for playing up. But the credit for it is where it stops. You either win or lose and after its complete, nobody cares about your aspired personal ambition. The only metric that is measured is wins against losses. The sentiment is great and commendable. But unless ya hang W's to go along with em - So what. 🤷‍♂️
"But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."

~ "Burg will be 0 - 3 going into week 4."

FBfan007
Waterboy

Post by FBfan007 »

XandO72 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 pm

"But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."

You do realize X and O, if burg comes away with a win in the next two weeks, it wont just be one or two burg fans coming on here to tell ya all about it, but instead everyone that doesn't think of you too highly... you're singling out this school and everyone who's a fan of their program. But congrats on your victory and not thinking about the points you're missing out on if they do indeed lose the next two games.

XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

FBfan007 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:02 pm
XandO72 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 pm

You do realize X and O, if burg comes away with a win in the next two weeks, it wont just be one or two burg fans coming on here to tell ya all about it, but instead everyone that doesn't think of you too highly... you're singling out this school and everyone who's a fan of their program. But congrats on your victory and not thinking about the points you're missing out on if they do indeed lose the next two games.
I say what I say based on logic. Not sentiment. What I want is not applicable. Can't depend on a wounded duck. 🤷‍♂️

Return to “Football”