2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Re: 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by Jackson Football »

fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:21 pm
Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:51 am
fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:46 am
Andy owns the burg. He will figure out a way to walk into the Ed and get a win. Will be interesting though to see how he does without his Dad. Lost a lot of football knowledge when he went to green
I believe Jackson is 5-6 against the burg recently , but trending in the right direction. Jackson will be more than fine 😀.
So losing over 40 yrs of coaching experience won’t hurt at all?
No

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:32 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:50 am
wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:52 am Burg has been regional runner up two out of the last three years and fans are questioning whether burg is good? SMH

Burg isn’t Ironton or prep or even d3 Jackson

Ironton and prep are teams with multiple transfers.

Burgs past team was a bunch of kids who played since 5th grade outside of Lattimore.

Jackson is a solid d3 team, why would we expect to beat them year in, year out?

If Burg would get multiple transfers every year like Ironton and prep, they would be just as successful. I think burg coaches have done a great job with those that they have had on their roster. Teams go through stretches where the wins aren’t as numerous but they still are successful with conference championships and being regional runner up.
I agree mostly with what you are saying except you left something out: in many of Burg’s losses, they beat themselves with mistakes and turnovers.

Last year, Ironton did their best to give Burg that game, yet Burg made mistake after mistake… Against McNich, Burg tried to give that game away. And against Jackson, Burg succeeded with at least three turnovers. At this point, Burg going the season without throwing an interception in the red zone would be amazing!

From the coaches, I expect a disciplined, fundamentally sound team. We see that on the D side but are not seeing it from the offense; has been the case over these past five years, hence so many four loss seasons. If coaches clean this up in 2024, that’ll be a step in the right direction.
You had a sophomore QB making his first start at Ironton against a transfer senior. The same happened two years ago. Again burg should begin better this year especially on the offensive side of the ball. That’s probably why the coaches are optimistic.
Yes, yet the coaches had the sophomore QB slinging the ball all over the field. Did the same against McNich and Jackson resulting in numerous turnovers.

Same with the sophomore QB a few years ago at Ironton when Burg turned it over four times in the second quarter resulting in 28 pts.

Coaches definitely confident in the O. Just hope they don’t fall in love with the pass and forget the run as they tend to do.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

:lol:
Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:23 pm
fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:21 pm

I believe Jackson is 5-6 against the burg recently , but trending in the right direction. Jackson will be more than fine 😀.
So losing over 40 yrs of coaching experience won’t hurt at all?
No
:lol: Ok

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:52 am Burg has been regional runner up two out of the last three years and fans are questioning whether burg is good? SMH

Burg isn’t Ironton or prep or even d3 Jackson

Ironton and prep are teams with multiple transfers.

Burgs past team was a bunch of kids who played since 5th grade outside of Lattimore.

Jackson is a solid d3 team, why would we expect to beat them year in, year out?

If Burg would get multiple transfers every year like Ironton and prep, they would be just as successful. I think burg coaches have done a great job with those that they have had on their roster. Teams go through stretches where the wins aren’t as numerous but they still are successful with conference championships and being regional runner up.
I agree mostly with what you are saying except you left something out: in many of Burg’s losses, they beat themselves with mistakes and turnovers.

Last year, Ironton did their best to give Burg that game, yet Burg made mistake after mistake… Against McNich, Burg tried to give that game away. And against Jackson, Burg succeeded with at least three turnovers. At this point, Burg going the season without throwing an interception in the red zone would be amazing!

From the coaches, I expect a disciplined, fundamentally sound team. We see that on the D side but are not seeing it from the offense; has been the case over these past five years, hence so many four loss seasons. If coaches clean this up in 2024, that’ll be a step in the right direction.
You had a sophomore QB making his first start at Ironton against a transfer senior. The same happened two years ago. Again burg should begin better this year especially on the offensive side of the ball. That’s probably why the coaches are optimistic.
It wasn’t just last yr though, it’s the same thing now for 4-5 yrs

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:46 am
Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:34 am

Exactly , beating a D5 power with a bigger roster is a great challenge. Hopefully Jackson can keep that winning streak going. Winning at the Ed isn’t easy. Burg has Ironton and Jackson at the Ed. I ll predict they won’t lose them both.
Andy owns the burg. He will figure out a way to walk into the Ed and get a win. Will be interesting though to see how he does without his Dad. Lost a lot of football knowledge when he went to green
I love the Burg-Jackson rivalry. Usually a tough hard hitting game. Gotta a lot of respect for the Jackson program and their fans. Jackson always hard nosed, tough physical team. I love Jackson facilities. Honesty I wouldn’t care if this was an away game for Wheelersburg every year lol. Awesome stadium.
As for this year I don’t think Jackson gonna drop off any losing Larry. I know Jackson lost Wolford but they just seem to always plug players in at the RB position. Their line is huge and always physical. The other Wolford is back at qb and the kid is a stud(comes with the last name).
Should be a good dogfight as it as been the last few years. Andy has definitely had Burgs number for a second. Let see if Burg can change that this year?? Will be a classic as always and look forward to it.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:14 pm

Yes, yet the coaches had the sophomore QB slinging the ball all over the field. Did the same against McNich and Jackson resulting in numerous turnovers.

Same with the sophomore QB a few years ago at Ironton when Burg turned it over four times in the second quarter resulting in 28 pts.

Coaches definitely confident in the O. Just hope they don’t fall in love with the pass and forget the run as they tend to do.

One of those interceptions was by Hutchinson out of the wildcat when Burg staff had the brilliant thought of letting him throw out of it and he threw an interception.

What's sad is not sure Burg coaches worry too much about regular season record. AS long as they make the playoffs and that shouldn't be a problem anymore, they are fine with that.

They should be more of a running team this year with Emnett and Brown in the backfield running behind that huge line but for some reason they will try to sling it all over the field. They are just not going to have weapons they have had in the past to throw the ball to.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:36 am

One of those interceptions was by Hutchinson out of the wildcat when Burg staff had the brilliant thought of letting him throw out of it and he threw an interception.

What's sad is not sure Burg coaches worry too much about regular season record. AS long as they make the playoffs and that shouldn't be a problem anymore, they are fine with that.

They should be more of a running team this year with Emnett and Brown in the backfield running behind that huge line but for some reason they will try to sling it all over the field. They are just not going to have weapons they have had in the past to throw the ball to.
Thanks for reminding me of that Hutchinson pass play. Ugh!!!!

Agree with your assessment. Problem with “blowing off” the regular season: losing and winning have one thing in common, they are both habit forming. Get comfortable with losing, and it can become a habit. Hopefully the coaches consider that.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:12 am

Agree with your assessment. Problem with “blowing off” the regular season: losing and winning have one thing in common, they are both habit forming. Get comfortable with losing, and it can become a habit. Hopefully the coaches consider that.

That is so true. That playoff game against Prep last year was by far the worst Burg game I've ever seen. They were beat before they even came out of the locker room. They had no energy at all when they came on the field.
Last edited by yabbadabbadoo on Thu May 30, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasketballGuy
Waterboy

Post by BasketballGuy »

The 96 football season , grad class of 97 beat IHS @ Tank. fact check

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:27 am

That is so true. That playoff game against Prep last year was by far the worst Burg game I've ever see. They were beat before they even came out of the locker room. They had no energy at all when they came on the field.
Putting prep on the schedule was a mistake, same as Hartley a few yrs back. Scheduling teams that embarrass you accomplishes nothing

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:59 am

That is so true. That playoff game against Prep last year was by far the worst Burg game I've ever see. They were beat before they even came out of the locker room. They had no energy at all when they came on the field.
Putting prep on the schedule was a mistake, same as Hartley a few yrs back. Scheduling teams that embarrass you accomplishes nothing
Completely agree with Hartley but not sure they have any other options when it comes to HP.

One, Burg is playing HP and D4 McNich, both a nice drive from Burg. Don’t think Burg scheduled these games for the enjoyment of said drive. Probably couldn’t find anyone else to put in the schedule.

Two, no reason not to play HP. Even if Burg avoids them in the regular season, they get stuck facing them come playoff time.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:19 am

Completely agree with Hartley but not sure they have any other options when it comes to HP.

One, Burg is playing HP and D4 McNich, both a nice drive from Burg. Don’t think Burg scheduled these games for the enjoyment of said drive. Probably couldn’t find anyone else to put in the schedule.

Two, no reason not to play HP. Even if Burg avoids them in the regular season, they get stuck facing them come playoff time.
nothing wrong with disagreeing

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:44 pm

True.

Hope the coaches figure out how to beat HP, but not betting on it.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:20 pm

True.

Is somebody seat unseasonably warm on the jolly pirate ship? Should it be? 👀

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:34 pm
True.

No. The state title bought a lot of goodwill.

But if the O doesn’t improve, changes should be made on that side of the ball. At least my opinion.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

These consistent issues along with burgs recent failures vs specifically ranked r19 teams seems to collide with the superior coaching seops burg fans claim to be accustomed to?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:36 pm

True.

But if the O doesn’t improve, changes should be made on that side of the ball. At least my opinion.
Thats fair. Change is usually pretty reluctant anyway at this level.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:38 pm

I got high expectations for the offense this year: no interceptions in the red zone. That is truly all I ask. Would be progress over the past few years. 🤦‍♂️

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:38 pm

I got high expectations for the offense this year: no interceptions in the red zone. That is truly all I ask. Would be progress over the past few years. 🤦‍♂️
As an Ironton fan I share your pain watching the offensive playcalling. Lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

If Burg is not a run first team this year, they will struggle. I think Rucker is a better runner then he is a passer. Line three up in the backfield and run Larry Hall's counter plays. No one ever knew who had the ball and if Rucker is a good play faker like Eaton was, he can be dangerous.

Just don't think Burg will have the WR's to throw the ball. They are going to need to control the LOS and grind out 12-15 play drives and put points on the board every time they get in the red zone.

Return to “Football”