2024 Ironton Fighting Tigers

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Re: 2024 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:00 am
Larry Fine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:50 am
RBH23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:24 am

No small school produces D1 athletes like Ironton, and if you think it’s just about connections, you’re crazy.

ML and Kirtland programs are well known. Their coaches are highly respected and get job offers from all over, including colleges. Yet they rarely produce a single D1 athlete. Not sure if Kirtland has ever produced a D1 player.

The SR team that decimated Ironton in the state title game produced zero D1 athletes despite being located in an area that gets a lot of attention from college coaches.

In the entire history of Wheelersburg football, they have only produced 1 power 5 D1 athlete, and the stadium is named after him.

Does this make Burg unusual given their school size? Absolutely not. This is quite normal when you look at the other schools that have dominated D5 - D7 Ohio football. D1 athletes from these schools are rare.

Hence this is what makes Ironton’s lack of a state title since 1989 perplexing. How can a school with a loaded roster fail year after year after year…?

As for “attracting players and families to Ironton”… IHS may want to up their academic game because their number of students continues to decline while Wheelersburg’s continues to grow with Burg now being the bigger of the two schools.
Why does it bother you so much that players go to Ironton with a goal and then work hard to achieve that goal of continuing their athletic career at the next level ?

You keep mentioning how many D1 players Ironton puts out , like that’s a bad thing.
It doesn’t bother me at all. Players should go to where they want to play and should pursue their goals and dreams. I have never said anything negative about the Ironton players or transfers. And being a ND fan, I will be cheering for Terry’s success at the next level.

What I do find interesting is the lack of expectations from the Ironton faithful given the talent that they have. It’s as if they are afraid to hold Pendleton to a standard.

In his years at IHS, he’s had the best roster in D5 except 1-2 of those years, yet he’s been unable to win the big game. In fact, his teams’ performances are getting worse over time.

Going into 2024, he will have 18 returning starters, over 20 seniors, a tough regular season schedule, and a handful of legit D1 players. If he can’t win a state title with this team, I don’t see him ever winning state.

If 1989 turns out to be Ironton’s last state title, that would be really sad for a once proud program.
I have always been a Ironton Fighting Tigers fan since I was a kid and the reason why a lot of Ironton fans don't show high expectations and talk much about it, is because when they do they usually get called arrogant or other few choice words and i have seen it thats why i dont say much about it. I even refuse To talk about the team I root for which is Ironton because if you do you get talked to like your trash so I don't talk football even with friends when they bring up football in a conversation, I just completely leave the Conversation.

GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, HOOK'EM HORNS, HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS
Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:56 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:32 pm
RBH23 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Lattimore last year from Portsmouth.

Greg from Ashland a few years ago.

And the state team had a kid, Lowry, from Portsmouth.

Don’t know of any Green running backs that transferred in.
I think his name was Mathews, he started at Green and transferred in to Wheelersburg.
So which kid are you referring to because it was not Makya Matthews. He played football at Burg from pee-wee on.
So did he start at Green or Wheelersburg?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Larry Fine wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:30 am

I think his name was Mathews, he started at Green and transferred in to Wheelersburg.
So which kid are you referring to because it was not Makya Matthews. He played football at Burg from pee-wee on.
Oh good grief you are obsessed with Matthews! LOL.

I do not know his entire life story (where he was born, who is grandparents are, his favorite color, etc). All I know is that he played football at Burg from pee-wee through high school. That’s where he obviously learned football. The rest of his history, you’ll have to ask him.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

So, likely not an actual burg kid... I know, I know...out-of-towners are only bad when they play for Ironton. I think I finally understand. Thanks for the clarification.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:22 am So, likely not an actual burg kid... I know, I know...out-of-towners are only bad when they play for Ironton. I think I finally understand. Thanks for the clarification.
I have no idea if Matthews started Kindergarten at Burg or not. But the fact you compare a kid who only played pee wee to HS ball at Burg with a kid who transfers in high school to play ball for a year or two is ridiculous. Ironton fans have truly lost their minds!

But if we want to keep score that way, I can name far more kids that started at Burg and left versus moved in. Example: the two best pee-wee football players at Burg during my first year never graduated from Burg. One transferred to Minford and one moved out of state. The kid that moved out of state was also an exceptional basketball player who really could have lead Burg to a title. And that kid also had two brothers who were athletes as well; all started at Burg in kindergarten but none graduated from Burg.

Last year, IHS fans wanted to argue about Hurchinson’s home address. This year, they want to debate in Matthews started kindergarten at Burg. Meanwhile, high school “transfers” keep rolling into Ironton just for football. LMAO!!

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Larry Fine wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:30 am

Here you go. I actually found a 2008 yearbook online. Matthews was in pre-first in the yearbook. Sorry I couldn’t find the 2007 yearbook but assume it’s out there if you are truly interested.

Do you need his social security number and date of birth? I believe he was adopted, so do I need to dig up info on his biological parents as well?

https://www.yourppl.org/history/files/o ... ec8ec4.pdf

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Oh, the obsession with Ironton football and its transfers these days is quite funny, as if Irontons the only team that gets them. Love it 😂 😂 😂

There’s 21 teams in D5 with a CB # of 20 or more and 14 with a CB # equal or higher then Irontons.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:20 am Oh, the obsession with Ironton football and its transfers these days is quite funny, as if Irontons the only team that gets them. Love it 😂 😂 😂

There’s 21 teams in D5 with a CB # of 20 or more and 14 with a CB # equal or higher then Irontons.
Obsession with Ironton football and transfers? I had to dig up a 2008 Wheelersburg elementary school yearbook to prove to Ironton fans that Matthews actually went to Burg!

Ironton gets grief due to high school transfers. Burg gets grief if their players aren’t from multi-generational Burg families!!

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:44 am
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:20 am Oh, the obsession with Ironton football and its transfers these days is quite funny, as if Irontons the only team that gets them. Love it 😂 😂 😂

Obsession with Ironton football and transfers? I had to dig up a 2008 Wheelersburg elementary school yearbook to prove to Ironton fans that Matthews actually went to Burg!

Ironton gets grief due to high school transfers. Burg gets grief if their players aren’t from multi-generational Burg families!!
So last year you had a transfer that was your best player , so 1 is good , 4 is bad ? Please help me understand. You welcome them at Burg when they get there , but Ironton is cheating ?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Larry Fine wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:10 pm

So last year you had a transfer that was your best player , so 1 is good , 4 is bad ? Please help me understand. You welcome them at Burg when they get there , but Ironton is cheating ?
That was a quick change of subject. Since you were wrong on Matthews, it’s time to move on? :)

Where did I say “Ironton is bad” for taking kids from other schools? I’ve actually said the opposite; Pendleton is smart to do so. He needs a great deal of talent to overcome his coaching flaws. Question is: how much talent will it take to do so?

As for whether him contacting kids at other schools is against the rules or not, that is between him and the OHSAA, not me.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Ironton recruited the kid who went to Wheelersburg!

The big key is if a kid moves to Wheelersburg it is a transfer, probably for reasons other than football. Better school, escape a bad situation, mom got a job, something. They are coming for reasons other than football and just so happen to be good at football. Also, Ironton recruited them but they choose Wheelersburg because Wheelersburg is better.

If a kid moves to Ironton, Trevon Pendleton personally called him and offered him an apartment, a no show class schedule, and possibly Tiger Clan cash via NIL depending on the talent level. Nobody would ever move for any other reason.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:41 pm Ironton recruited the kid who went to Wheelersburg!

The big key is if a kid moves to Wheelersburg it is a transfer, probably for reasons other than football. Better school, escape a bad situation, mom got a job, something. They are coming for reasons other than football and just so happen to be good at football. Also, Ironton recruited them but they choose Wheelersburg because Wheelersburg is better.

If a kid moves to Ironton, Trevon Pendleton personally called him and offered him an apartment, a no show class schedule, and possibly Tiger Clan cash via NIL depending on the talent level. Nobody would ever move for any other reason.
I can‘t comment on the Ashland and WV kids. No idea their situations, what contacts were made etc.

I know for certain that Lattimore was contacted about transferring to Ironton, and I know Burg did not contact him about transferring.

I know Perkins was contacted by Pendleton (that was publicly witnessed by many), and I know Burg did not ask him to transfer to Burg.

There are also other players from Burg that were contacted as well.

As for Ironton players getting a pass on grades, I do not know if that has happened under Pendleton; have not heard of this happening under Pendleton so I assume it is not. However, I do know it did happen under Lutz.

Finally, kids moving in and out of schools happens; part of life. But no family/kid is moving to Ironton for their “stellar” education system; maybe in the past but not now. Nearly all schools in Scioto and Lawrence county are better academic schools.

Transferring to IHS based on academics would be like transferring to New Boston for football :)

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

It blows my mind how many times I’ve seen this debacle. It’s like watching a dog run and chase it own tail. Who gives a flying if a kid goes to Ironton be thankful we don’t have what WV has which is 10x worse. Teams that are perennial state powers and have won state championships there are getting transfers in. Ironton has a rich tradition, he’ll an NFL HOFer is from Ironton

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:07 pm It blows my mind how many times I’ve seen this debacle. It’s like watching a dog run and chase it own tail. Who gives a flying if a kid goes to Ironton be thankful we don’t have what WV has which is 10x worse. Teams that are perennial state powers and have won state championships there are getting transfers in. Ironton has a rich tradition, he’ll an NFL HOFer is from Ironton
Agree.

No idea why IHS fans are so defensive about their transfers while constantly focused on where Burg players were born. Last year, they wanted to debate Hutchinson’s current address and where his dad/grandfather went to school. Today, it’s where Matthews started school.

Bottom line is: Pendleton is getting these kids, and he’s smart to do so. Not much more to discuss.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

If there is one guy who has clearly shown he couldn’t care less about transfers in high school football, it’s RBH23, who has spent two years at most posting about transfers (sorry recruits) on a daily basis.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

One fan, not all Tiger fans

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:18 pm
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:07 pm It blows my mind how many times I’ve seen this debacle. It’s like watching a dog run and chase it own tail. Who gives a flying if a kid goes to Ironton be thankful we don’t have what WV has which is 10x worse. Teams that are perennial state powers and have won state championships there are getting transfers in. Ironton has a rich tradition, he’ll an NFL HOFer is from Ironton
Agree.

No idea why IHS fans are so defensive about their transfers while constantly focused on where Burg players were born. Last year, they wanted to debate Hutchinson’s current address and where his dad/grandfather went to school. Today, it’s where Matthews started school.

Bottom line is: Pendleton is getting these kids, and he’s smart to do so. Not much more to discuss.
Woodward is getting kids too , he’s just attracting the talent like Pendleton

mustard
Varsity

Post by mustard »

:lol: :lol:

..again what was pendersons record before he got recruits transfers whatever you call em?? :lol: :lol:

i rest my case
mic drop
crickets :lol: :lol:

:lol:

wait to see how much braggin he does on social
Media when he doesn’t get em.., can’t get college offers with duds…. :lol:

poser team…

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:35 pm If there is one guy who has clearly shown he couldn’t care less about transfers in high school football, it’s RBH23, who has spent two years at most posting about transfers (sorry recruits) on a daily basis.
Do you have problems with reading comprehension?

I have stated on this site more than once that I agree with what Pendleton is doing. I’m actually supporting his efforts!! I have criticized his coaching when it comes to X’s and O’s, but I have always applauded his work in getting kids to Ironton.

I’ve also said on here that kids should be able to choose where they play; make decisions in their best interests. And I have never said anything negative about the kids that chose to play at Ironton. How does that make me against transfers?

Meanwhile, I have to pull grade school yearbooks to disprove lies stated about Burg kids.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:12 pm

One fan, not all Tiger fans
True. I apologize for generalizing.

Return to “Football”