2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

RBH23
SE

Re: 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:29 pm If Burg is not a run first team this year, they will struggle. I think Rucker is a better runner then he is a passer. Line three up in the backfield and run Larry Hall's counter plays. No one ever knew who had the ball and if Rucker is a good play faker like Eaton was, he can be dangerous.

Just don't think Burg will have the WR's to throw the ball. They are going to need to control the LOS and grind out 12-15 play drives and put points on the board every time they get in the red zone.
Completely agree!!

Do the Burg coaches have the patience and discipline to run such an offense? Miller and Hall did, but our coaches today love to pass.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:41 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:29 pm If Burg is not a run first team this year, they will struggle. I think Rucker is a better runner then he is a passer. Line three up in the backfield and run Larry Hall's counter plays. No one ever knew who had the ball and if Rucker is a good play faker like Eaton was, he can be dangerous.

Just don't think Burg will have the WR's to throw the ball. They are going to need to control the LOS and grind out 12-15 play drives and put points on the board every time they get in the red zone.
Completely agree!!

Do the Burg coaches have the patience and discipline to run such an offense? Miller and Hall did, but our coaches today love to pass.
Most coaches don’t have the patience. Have a good friend that won multiple state titles. He once told me his D philosophy was to never never give up the big play which meant his team gave up a lot of yardage but very few points. He said coaches do not have the patience to take what you are giving them. They won’t go the distance running or settling for underneath stuff. They always have to take that deep shot.which gets you behind the sticks or leads to turnovers

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:05 pm

Completely agree!!

Most coaches don’t have the patience. Have a good friend that won multiple state titles. He once told me his D philosophy was to never never give up the big play which meant his team gave up a lot of yardage but very few points. He said coaches do not have the patience to take what you are giving them. They won’t go the distance running or settling for underneath stuff. They always have to take that deep shot.which gets you behind the sticks or leads to turnovers
Interesting. Did he say why coaches are that way? Is it simply human nature?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:59 pm

Completely agree!!

No. I’m guessing most coaches are just aggressive and are always looking for the big play🤷‍♂️. Not many Ed Millers or Bob Lutzes out there anymore. By the way my friend played for coach miller so he might have got his 3-4yds a pop all the way down the field mentality from him 😂

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Agree with the sentiment, but that’s not the kind of offense this group has ever ran (dating all the way back to pee wees). Spread has been all they’ve ever done, and don’t know if Burg is capable of just lining up and running the ball down other teams’ throats.

If Burg don’t “have the wide WR’s to throw the ball”, then the lack of development in their WR’s is concerning as a couple of them have been playing varsity since their freshman years.*

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

art_vandelay wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:34 pm

Agree with the sentiment, but that’s not the kind of offense this group has ever ran (dating all the way back to pee wees). Spread has been all they’ve ever done, and don’t know if Burg is capable of just lining up and running the ball down other teams’ throats.

If Burg don’t “have the wide WR’s to throw the ball”, then the lack of development in their WR’s is concerning as a couple of them have been playing varsity since their freshman years.*

I can agree with that. Evans to me has gotten to big to play WR so maybe move him to TE. Can't remember who the other WR is.

Against the Ironton's and Jackson's and Harvest Prep's they will need to hold onto the ball as long as they can to keep those teams offense's on the sideline.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:41 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:34 pm

I can agree with that. Evans to me has gotten to big to play WR so maybe move him to TE. Can't remember who the other WR is.

Against the Ironton's and Jackson's and Harvest Prep's they will need to hold onto the ball as long as they can to keep those teams offense's on the sideline.
It won’t matter in those games. They will fumble or have stupid penalties. They will figure out some way to lose those games. It’s just who the burg is now

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:30 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:59 pm
No. I’m guessing most coaches are just aggressive and are always looking for the big play🤷‍♂️. Not many Ed Millers or Bob Lutzes out there anymore. By the way my friend played for coach miller so he might have got his 3-4yds a pop all the way down the field mentality from him 😂
I don’t understand why coaches ignore the Lutz/Miller offense. White had incredible success at Hilliard Davidson running Miller’s offense. Kirtland has also been successful doing the same.

Maybe one day Burg coaches will learn and revert back to what works.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Didn’t Wheelersburg gain like 50 yards of offense against HP trying to run it down their throats? Maybe the coaches know that lining up and running it can work against Minford and Waverly but won’t fly in the games that matter.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:57 pm Didn’t Wheelersburg gain like 50 yards of offense against HP trying to run it down their throats? Maybe the coaches know that lining up and running it can work against Minford and Waverly but won’t fly in the games that matter.
not saying burg would have put up 500yds but burg did play that game without 2 starters on oline
thats another issue burg always has 5-6-7 kids in street cloths every game. one of those guys is always one of the starting olinemen. injuries or just soft?
Last edited by fbnut on Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:57 pm Didn’t Wheelersburg gain like 50 yards of offense against HP trying to run it down their throats? Maybe the coaches know that lining up and running it can work against Minford and Waverly but won’t fly in the games that matter.
First game they did well running the ball against HP; hence the closer game. Mostly using Hutch as QB.

If you look at the success Burg has against speedy teams, it comes from running the ball. Has been the case at Burg since they started football. Even during the state title run, they had to switch to power run to beat CA; fortunately Burg had that in the arsenal that year, or they would have lost that game.

That said, a team can’t install a spread offense and then turn it into a power run team over night. That is extremely difficult to pull off.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I’m hearing rumors that 3 Burg football players recently transferred?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Bfan99 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:41 pm I’m hearing rumors that 3 Burg football players recently transferred?
To Ironton

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:00 pm
Bfan99 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:41 pm I’m hearing rumors that 3 Burg football players recently transferred?
:?:

To Ironton
Is that a question or the answer?

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

What 3?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:04 pm
What 3?
The same 3 that transfer every year according to this site.

Don’t listen to these rumors. Same folks were saying a month ago that Rucker wasn’t playing football next season.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Heard an offensive lineman and running back to Green. Not sure if they’d been starters though.*

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:26 pm
TomUnessa wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:04 pm
What 3?
The same 3 that transfer every year according to this site.

Don’t listen to these rumors. Same folks were saying a month ago that Rucker wasn’t playing football next season.
That’s true lol. I remember every year The Lattimores were transferring because of lack of Playing time and Arthur was suppose to transfer. 🤷‍♂️🙄

joeshmo
Waterboy

Post by joeshmo »

I heard 3 have officially left and another one might be going. lineman, RB and WR.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

joeshmo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:47 pm I heard 3 have officially left and another one might be going. lineman, RB and WR.
Cunningham RB
Adkins WR
Clausey OL

Return to “Football”