Week 1: 8/23 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 1: 8/23 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by GrumpyPundit »

Way too early prediction:

Burg keeps the game close for a half, Ironton pulls away in the second half. 27-14 final.

TigerBlood00
Freshman Team

Post by TigerBlood00 »

GrumpyPundit wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:52 am Way too early prediction:

Burg keeps the game close for a half, Ironton pulls away in the second half. 27-14 final.
Thats decent.

Im.standin on my running clock prediction. Men of Ironton vs a very uncertain group of burg boys this year. Ugly early and fast in the Ed.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

I could see it going similar to last year: Ironton up quickly but Burg D adjusts and makes a game of it. Burg O will make a better showing but Ironton with too many playmakers: 27-20.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:25 pm

I could see it going similar to last year: Ironton up quickly but Burg D adjusts and makes a game of it. Burg O will make a better showing but Ironton with too many playmakers: 27-20.
Ironton has by far the best off season strength program around. That will also factor in the outcome of this game.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Larry Fine wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:55 pm

Ironton has by far the best off season strength program around. That will also factor in the outcome of this game.
Doesn’t look that way week one. I know they usually pull off the W because of all the recruits but there guys are usually pretty gassed early in that week 1 game, especially those big guys

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

What makes theirs by far the best? I don’t think there could be much days to support that statement. I’m guessing you’d have to rely on attendance or attendance percentage along with some rate of gain metric. More than likely their off season program mirrors the other southern Ohio blue bloods. But a very good strength program along with the most talented roster is a tough combination for Burg to overcome.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

GrumpyPundit wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:57 pm

What makes theirs by far the best? I don’t think there could be much days to support that statement. I’m guessing you’d have to rely on attendance or attendance percentage along with some rate of gain metric. More than likely their off season program mirrors the other southern Ohio blue bloods. But a very good strength program along with the most talented roster is a tough combination for Burg to overcome.
They grunt more.

All the coaches in our area lift and condition just as well. Participants are the key. Look at schools like rock hill and northwest, kids have a lot more difficulty getting to weights than say a city school.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Probably like the last few years, Ironton will take this one in week 1 especially with all the practices and work they put in since April/May they'll be peaked at that point. Burg will be burg have a good showing but will continue to get better as the season progresses. Some ppl will read into that for more than what it is but facts are the Ironton I've seen in week 10 is the same Ironton I see in week 1 it's why they won't will that title until they start to improve as the season goes on. This year should be very different given the schedule and I look forward to seeing if they'll improve as the season goes or just stay flat lined.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:01 pm Probably like the last few years, Ironton will take this one in week 1 especially with all the practices and work they put in since April/May they'll be peaked at that point. Burg will be burg have a good showing but will continue to get better as the season progresses. Some ppl will read into that for more than what it is but facts are the Ironton I've seen in week 10 is the same Ironton I see in week 1 it's why they won't will that title until they start to improve as the season goes on. This year should be very different given the schedule and I look forward to seeing if they'll improve as the season goes or just stay flat lined.
Good assessment.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:01 pm Probably like the last few years, Ironton will take this one in week 1 especially with all the practices and work they put in since April/May they'll be peaked at that point. Burg will be burg have a good showing but will continue to get better as the season progresses. Some ppl will read into that for more than what it is but facts are the Ironton I've seen in week 10 is the same Ironton I see in week 1 it's why they won't will that title until they start to improve as the season goes on. This year should be very different given the schedule and I look forward to seeing if they'll improve as the season goes or just stay flat lined.

I hope you’re right , Ironton is 60-8 since 2019 with 3 state championship game appearances. I hope and pray you are correct.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Larry Fine wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:10 pm

I hope you’re right , Ironton is 60-8 since 2019 with 3 state championship game appearances. I hope and pray you are correct.
Just to be clear, you are hoping and praying IHS football loses the state title again?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

The idea that Ironton gets worse and Wheelersburg gets better as the season goes along is just not reflected by what happens in the regional games. Outside of winning in 2021 (against a backup QB and while gaining 100 yards), Ironton has been faring much better against common postseason opponents. This is despite the fact that the Week 1 game has been close the last two seasons.

As far as the 2024 edition, Ironton’s biggest strength on the team will be in the secondary. Johnson and Terry outside, Edwards will be out there, Schreck, Markel, and a couple of the upcoming sophomores all have a shot. They’ll be athletic and deep. Backers should be athletic as well with Bump, Williams, Groves, etc. Bottom line is they’ll be tough to throw on. Wheelersburg will have to play bully ball to move it consistently.

Ironton will be loaded with athletes, but depending on the choice at QB, they’ll look different game to game or even drive to drive. Schreck and Edwards both bring different skills to the table. Wheelersburg will attempt to keep Terry in check and force 10-12 play drives out of Ironton. I don’t think they can do it, but maybe a few turnovers can keep in within reason.

Ironton is probably a double digit favorite.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:41 pm The idea that Ironton gets worse and Wheelersburg gets better as the season goes along is just not reflected by what happens in the regional games. Outside of winning in 2021 (against a backup QB and while gaining 100 yards), Ironton has been faring much better against common postseason opponents. This is despite the fact that the Week 1 game has been close the last two seasons.

As far as the 2024 edition, Ironton’s biggest strength on the team will be in the secondary. Johnson and Terry outside, Edwards will be out there, Schreck, Markel, and a couple of the upcoming sophomores all have a shot. They’ll be athletic and deep. Backers should be athletic as well with Bump, Williams, Groves, etc. Bottom line is they’ll be tough to throw on. Wheelersburg will have to play bully ball to move it consistently.

Ironton will be loaded with athletes, but depending on the choice at QB, they’ll look different game to game or even drive to drive. Schreck and Edwards both bring different skills to the table. Wheelersburg will attempt to keep Terry in check and force 10-12 play drives out of Ironton. I don’t think they can do it, but maybe a few turnovers can keep in within reason.

Ironton is probably a double digit favorite.
First, who said “Ironton gets worse?” Interesting how some of you Ironton folk read what wasn’t written.

Second, that IHS 2021 backup QB played the vast majority of the first game against Burg that season. He was in when Ironton scored all of their points in that game, so we probably should quit blaming the QB for the loss when the blame belongs on the IHS coach who called the plays.

As for 2024, I think you are spot on. If Burg tries to pass against IHS, it will not work out well given IHS’ talent in the secondary. Burg will have to dial up their 2022 offensive game plan.

Double digits sounds about right, but this game always surprises me on how it played out. Plus, being the first game, turnovers could definitely make it interesting as well as sloppy.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I could foresee a 21-10 or 21-17 Ironton win. As said in prior posts this game is always very sloppy. I can’t imagine it being a points bonanza and all the time for these to to prepare for each other

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Nice for Ironton to have an easy game to start the season. It will get much tougher as the season gets going

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

gobucs20 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:28 pm Nice for Ironton to have an easy game to start the season. It will get much tougher as the season gets going
Actually, Burg could be the easiest of their first seven. To IHS’s credit, they did up the schedule. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

TigerBlood00
Freshman Team

Post by TigerBlood00 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:48 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:28 pm Nice for Ironton to have an easy game to start the season. It will get much tougher as the season gets going
Actually, Burg could be the easiest of their first seven. To IHS’s credit, they did up the schedule. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
That's fair. I'm also interested in how burgs season begins. If week one is an L at home vs Ironton things could be stressful FAST because the following weeks Cincy Mcknik contest potentailly will NOT be a game burg is favored in. Then burg runs straight into Jackson who guarantees another very physical contest vs an opponent Woodard & company have struggled mightily to find a way to beat. They potentailly will not be favored in that one either. After that is a couple weeks of lighter conf opponents where they will likely have a window to get some reps for younger players while the 1's that are banged up from weeks 1, 2 & 3, get a lil rehab window, but then,........ AT Harvest Prep. 2 & 4 or 3 & 3 heading into the last 4 reg season conf games is a real possibility. And Portsmouth West could potentially be a threat down the stretch.

I think its very possible that Burg may only be favored in 2 weeks out of their first 6 weeks of the season. The uncertainty and inexperience is gonna have to acclimate promptly imo.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBlood00 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:05 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:48 pm
That's fair. I'm also interested in how burgs season begins. If week one is an L at home vs Ironton things could be stressful FAST because the following weeks Cincy Mcknik contest potentailly will NOT be a game burg is favored in. Then burg runs straight into Jackson who guarantees another very physical contest vs an opponent Woodard & company have struggled mightily to find a way to beat. They potentailly will not be favored in that one either. After that is a couple weeks of lighter conf opponents where they will likely have a window to get some reps for younger players while the 1's that are banged up from weeks 1, 2 & 3, get a lil rehab window, but then,........ AT Harvest Prep. 2 & 4 or 3 & 3 heading into the last 4 reg season conf games is a real possibility. And Portsmouth West could potentially be a threat down the stretch.

I think its very possible that Burg may only be favored in 2 weeks out of their first 6 weeks of the season. The uncertainty and inexperience is gonna have to acclimate promptly imo.
But you just described Burg’s prior two years. They’ve lost close games against IHS to start ‘22 and ‘23 with follow-up games against McNich and Jackson. This is their regular schedule, so I don’t see the stress being any more or less than usual. The one plus this year is that two of those three are at home with a returning starter at QB. A first time starting sophomore QB opening with @IHS, McNich, and @Jackson is not a recipe for success.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

I think the most intriguing matchup here is going to be the coaches honestly. I'm curious to see how much input Kaskey will have for the Tigers, and for me the jury is still out on Salyers as a play caller for the Pirates. Burg has quietly had some significant changes in the coaches room since the State Title, not to mention one of their longest tenured coaches battling serious health issues. Woodward will be taking over as AD/VP -- that's going to take some adjustment to get use to.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

IRONTON WINS 31-14

GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, HOOK'EM HORNS, HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS

Return to “Football”