RIO Hires Football Coach

sgtwilliamjames
Riding the Bench

RIO Hires Football Coach

Post by sgtwilliamjames »

Hired on name reckognittion and likely a recommendation from Rich Rod.

This ends badly.

https://www.rio.edu/news/rio-names-coach

sgtwilliamjames
Riding the Bench

Re: RIO Hires Football Coach

"I wanted to be a head coach so bad when I went down there that I ignored all of the red flags of 'we don't have this and we don't have that'. Once I got there, it was a nightmare," Wilson said of his brief stint in the Sunshine State. "But I'm looking at that whole situation there to becoming a blessing. It's kind of funny. I was telling everybody, even before the announcement was made, that I'd been on the Rio Grande campus before and said that this would be a great place to have football. Maybe I spoke it into existence."

Blame everybody but yourself… bad sign

TigerBlood00
Freshman Team

Post by TigerBlood00 »

Sounds like some locals are upset a local didnt get the gig. Wilson is a good hire. Quality guy.

shai-halud
Waterboy

Post by shai-halud »

sgtwilliamjames wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:44 pm Hired on name reckognittion and likely a recommendation from Rich Rod.

This ends badly.

https://www.rio.edu/news/rio-names-coach
regardless.. all choices are judged by the sands of Arakis

"the Old Man of the Desert"
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Good Luck Coach Wilson!

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

This should be fun to watch. There's a lot of talent to pick from in about a 60 mile radius from Rio.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:47 am This should be fun to watch. There's a lot of talent to pick from in about a 60 mile radius from Rio.
Here's the thing though......Rio is not likely going to recruit many local players. When Hocking College started up its football program, I assumed most of the top players in the region who did not go to a 4-year university would make up the majority of players. They do not. Players at Hocking actually come from all over the country.

If you look at the most recent roster, there was 1 player from Athens and 1 from Procterville. That is it for southeastern Ohio representation. There was a guy from Parkersburg and a couple from Pickerington. Those were the next closest players in geographical proximity to southeastern Ohio.

https://athletics.hocking.edu/sports/fb ... -24/roster

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

This will be a tough gig. He thought there was nothing in place in Fla. , LOL, wait until he stays at Rio. Rio is not a Campus town that will support football. Getting a player from Fla to come to this Country school will not be easy. Think about Rio Grande, what exactly is there to do for people living on campus? Bob Evans farm festival, go to Gallipolis? Go hangout at Raccoon Lake? Just going to be a tough sale with no infrastructure set up for football. IDK

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

A football program at Rio Grande? C'mon man, I bet Bevo Francis is spinning in his grave at that idea.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:23 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:47 am This should be fun to watch. There's a lot of talent to pick from in about a 60 mile radius from Rio.
Here's the thing though......Rio is not likely going to recruit many local players. When Hocking College started up its football program, I assumed most of the top players in the region who did not go to a 4-year university would make up the majority of players. They do not. Players at Hocking actually come from all over the country.

If you look at the most recent roster, there was 1 player from Athens and 1 from Procterville. That is it for southeastern Ohio representation. There was a guy from Parkersburg and a couple from Pickerington. Those were the next closest players in geographical proximity to southeastern Ohio.

https://athletics.hocking.edu/sports/fb ... -24/roster
Didn't they have the Hutchinson boys from South Gallia? Several years ago, mind.

sgtwilliamjames
Riding the Bench

Kids will use Rio like hacking or a juco

Get some tape and transfer out before the tuition jump in year three

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Nah…they are all major D1

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Tough sale but it’s doable. Look what Rio soccer is now and look back when they first started their program. They can definitely be successful over time and recruit locally. First few places I would start is right in Scioto County with West and Wheelersburg and then I would go straight up to MAC schools. If you can get kids from Marion Local and Coldwater, places like that, you’ll get them to stick it out for 4 years and more importantly than getting good players (that goes without saying), you’re also getting great kids academically and with a good work ethic that’s within the same state. They can be successful but growth and winning might take some time.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Maybe they can hire D1 as recruiting coordinator. I hear he is looking to get back into football in some way.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Their first recruit should be that trans state idiot from Ironton. That lets him show us exactly what kind of athlete we need in this area.

SEO Sports
Freshman Team

Post by SEO Sports »

Wishing nothing but success to the Rio football program.

MetalheadGamer87
Freshman Team

Post by MetalheadGamer87 »

Watched coach Wilson in high school, WVU and in the NFL. Why would he take on such a task? Really tough sell if you ask me.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

MetalheadGamer87 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:14 am Watched coach Wilson in high school, WVU and in the NFL. Why would he take on such a task? Really tough sell if you ask me.
Why ? Because every coach thinks they can be the reason to coach something great ! It’s called coaching EGO. Then after a year or two reality sets in.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:24 am
MetalheadGamer87 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:14 am Watched coach Wilson in high school, WVU and in the NFL. Why would he take on such a task? Really tough sell if you ask me.
Why ? Because every coach thinks they can be the reason to coach something great ! It’s called coaching EGO. Then after a year or two reality sets in.
Or cut and run when the tank is empty

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

Larry Fine wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:31 pm
baseball16 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:24 am
Or cut and run when the tank is empty
Come on fellas. Ain’t but a few D1 prospects in the area other than at Ironton. As one of the very few in the past I should know. So if he planning to win with “local” D1 talent he better ring up Athens and get versed in the old cut-n-run before he even gets to Rio.

I know, I was D1 fellas

Return to “Football”