Best Team in your Program's History

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best Team in your Program's History

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah, Logan held Athens to a season low 18 in 65. That was an offense with Todd Snyder

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Sept. 9 Jim Rockwell Stadium New Lexington WIN 30-06
Sept. 16 Bill Sauer Field Hilliard WIN 21-06
Sept. 23 Polley Memorial Field Nelsonville-York WIN 54-00
Sept. 30 Bill Sauer Field Wellston * WIN 49-00
Oct. 7 Tanks Stadium Ironton * WIN 20-14
Oct. 14 Bill Sauer Field Jackson * WIN 52-12
Oct. 21 Waverly Athletic Field Waverly * WIN 42-00
Oct. 28 Bill Sauer Field Athens * WIN 44-13
Nov. 4 Pomeroy Athletic Field Meigs * WIN 21-00
Nov. 11 Bill Sauer Field Gallia Academy * WIN 35-06

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

For an old curmudgeon, Waverly's teams 1967-1969 would have my vote. A know the latest generation of high school athletes are big, stronger, faster. and better trained, but players such as DeVito, Hance, Williams, Johnson, Schmidt, Varney, Adams, Foil, Welch, Kalfs, Downing, Dixon,
Kouns, Boggs, Thomas, Vulgamore, Skinner and even Pekala were great in their day. A record of 27-1-2 speaks for itself.
Last edited by Omega on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

as far as ironton goes it would be hard to argue it was anybody other than the 79, and 89 teams that both won state championships.ain't nobody else down here got any of them other than burg having one.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote:Scott Gasser was the Seoal MVP that year.
Wonder who many brothers have been MVP in the SEOAL other than the Gassers?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

98 Fisher (state runner-up to the DSJ/Chad Schulte buzzsaw) or 93 Fisher (10-0 regular season before losing 6-21 to Newark Catholic)

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

noreply66 wrote:
Good question, I can't think of any. It was a shame though, back then only 4 teams made the playoffs. Don't know how the regions worked backed then but Logan ended up that year 8th in the State in AAA and didn't make it in. They was way better than 8th Imo. They would have made some big noise in there. They was an amazing smooth team and had it all that any team could have ever wanted talent wise. They could do anything on offense and had one heck of a mean defense. Bob Boynton was one heck of a smart coach too. Would have loved to have seen how far they could have went but back then it was different getting into the post season.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:as far as ironton goes it would be hard to argue it was anybody other than the 79, and 89 teams that both won state championships.ain't nobody else down here got any of them other than burg having one.
Who is better 78 or 79?
On paper the 78 team was better
78 was 9-0 scored 251-57
79 was 10-0-1 scored 189-50

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that's a good question bob lutz has many times said that the 78 team was his best. that's the team I would have been a senior in had I not blown out my knee. that was the graduating class of 79.i can't recall it was either logan or meigs that was on strike that week and we didn't get to play the tenth game. and got passed in the rankings. bear in mind that was during the AAA,AA,A times not 7 divisions. ironton was AA and I think they only took the top 2 from each region if memory serves me correct.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:that's a good question bob lutz has many times said that the 78 team was his best. that's the team I would have been a senior in had I not blown out my knee. that was the graduating class of 79.i can't recall it was either logan or meigs that was on strike that week and we didn't get to play the tenth game. and got passed in the rankings. bear in mind that was during the AAA,AA,A times not 7 divisions. ironton was AA and I think they only took the top 2 from each region if memory serves me correct.
Logan didn't play past week 2 in '78 due to a teachers strike.

But Logan was going to be lucky to win a game that season. Ironton was probably better off not playing the game b/c the Harbin points take into account playing less than 10 games.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

noreply66 wrote:
Believe they are the only brothers.

Scott was the MVP in both '76 and '77 (John was the MVP in '65).

The only two time MVP winners are S. Gasser, Ryan Adams (Athens, 88-89), and Patrick Angle (Logan 08-09).

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

loganlocos wrote:
noreply66 wrote:
Believe they are the only brothers.

Scott was the MVP in both '76 and '77 (John was the MVP in '65).

The only two time MVP winners are S. Gasser, Ryan Adams (Athens, 88-89), and Patrick Angle (Logan 08-09).
Good info Locos, thanks.

896ffcadet
Waterboy

Post by 896ffcadet »

2015 Fort Frye Cadets. First 10-0 run since the late Coach Hucks team ran the table in 1974. '74 went 10-0 and still missed week 11. Fort Frye looks to take it to the next level with their first OHSAA State Tournament win Saturday night. Fredericktown coming to Beverly. Just something about this squad. A true band of brothers who have faced adversity together and pushed each other to be better.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Trimble's 2013 State Runner-up 14-1 Team would probably be the best in program history.
Nelsonville-York W 40-0
Wahama W 12-7
South Gallia W 48-0
Meigs W 16-0
Miller W 55-0
Waterford W 48-0
Eastern W 60-12
Belpre W 54-0
Southern W 42-14
Federal Hocking W 59-0
Beallsville W 61-0
Catholic Central W 27-22
Shadyside W 21-14
Western Reserve W 14-10
Marion Local L 0-33

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

2015 Alexander Spartans
But they had one other 9-1 season so I would like to know how these to teams would compare ??
Any old Spartans out there ?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

loganlocos wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:that's a good question bob lutz has many times said that the 78 team was his best. that's the team I would have been a senior in had I not blown out my knee. that was the graduating class of 79.i can't recall it was either logan or meigs that was on strike that week and we didn't get to play the tenth game. and got passed in the rankings. bear in mind that was during the AAA,AA,A times not 7 divisions. ironton was AA and I think they only took the top 2 from each region if memory serves me correct.
Logan didn't play past week 2 in '78 due to a teachers strike.

But Logan was going to be lucky to win a game that season. Ironton was probably better off not playing the game b/c the Harbin points take into account playing less than 10 games.
locos tell your family I said hi. and thank you so much for your hospitality the year that me and my friend came up there. it was a very good night of friends/fellowship

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Early 1950's Chauncey Dover is right with 2014 Athens. Dover played small schools but never lost for a very long time. Hubert Bobo and Joe Burrow in their era's were the best. Both went to The Ohio State. Bobo won a national title. Hopefully Burrow does the same

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Great thread so far, just what I was hoping for!

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

NY's State Championship team in 81.
However I have been told that the team in 1980 might have been better. (The coach ran his son too much)
Also the 82 team made it to the final 4.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

[quote="TRENCHFOOT"]Good question, I can't think of any. It was a shame though, back then only 4 teams made the playoffs. Don't know how the regions worked backed then but Logan ended up that year 8th in the State in AAA and didn't make it in. They was way better than 8th Imo.[/quote

Kinda like this year Logan's opponents didn't give them much help that year,they finished 8th in their region over 40 points out of 1st.

Return to “Football”