Week 10: Jackson (9-0) vs. Gallia Academy (6-3)

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Week 10: Jackson (9-0) vs. Gallia Academy (6-3)

Post by ironman02 »

Jottings,

You are correct. Gallia Academy did beat Jackson 12-6 in 1956. It broke a 9 game winning streak for Jackson.

After seeing Ironman92's post, I checked my records. It appears that he is correct. After losing their first game and playing to a tie in their second game, the 1953 team won eight straight games to end the season. The Ironmen were a perfect 10-0 in 1954, and the 1955 team won its first seven games. This means that from Week 2 of 1953 to Week 7 of 1955, Jackson won 25 straight regular season games.

In addition to that, it appears that another set of Jackson teams won 18 straight in the 1960s. The 1960 team won its last five games. the 1961 team went 10-0, and the 1962 team won its first three games. As far as I can tell, this is tied for second longest regular season winning streak in Jackson history. The 2011 squad (with the help of the 2010 team) has a chance to win its 19th in a row Friday night, surpassing the 1960, 1961, and 1962 teams. Hopefully this year's Ironmen can give the 2012 team a chance to set the all-time mark.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Jottings wrote:I would have to go back and check some records in the basement, but I think in 1956, Gallipolis upset Jackson 12-6 at Jackson, snapping a Jackson winning streak. I had just been drafted by Uncle Sam and was stationed at Ft. Chaffee, Ark., when that happened. Jay Simms and company turned the trick. Blue Devils weren't very good that year, but they beat the SEOAL champs.

Seems Ironmen fans had put tomb stones in the endzones dressed as Devils since it was around Halloween.

Clarence Thompson was Gallia Academy's coach. I believe Gene Slaughter was stiil JHS coach.

Gene Slaughter was coaching at South Point when he came to Jackson high school in the fall of 1952. He proceeded to coach the Ironmen (who were the Red Devils before the 1937 vote by James Rhodes (later governor) and others) for 5 seasons from 1952-1956 and finished with a record of 43-8-1. The 1954 year was a good one for a couple reasons. The Ironmen played Wellston in the last "thanksgiving day" game between the two (a lot of rivalries used to be played on that day), both were undefeated and ranked in the "Top Ten" in the state at the time and Wayne Woodrow Hayes was in attendance. Jackson won that game 21-6 the ended Wellston's chance for a championship. After leaving Jackson for Warren Harding high school in 1957 coach Slaughter coached another pretty good athelete who went to OSU and played for the Browns and Dolphins (Paul Warfield). Coach Slaughter was there from 1957 thru 1959 and compiled a record of 25-4-1 before going to OSU and becoming an assistant for Woody Hayes during the 1960 season. From 1961 thru 1985 Coach Slaughter was the head coach at Capital University in Bexley and won the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl (DIII Championship) in 1970. His overall record at Capital would end up being 120-94-3. If coach Slaughter isn't in the Jackson Hall of Fame, he should be even though it was only a brief moment in time.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

ironman02 wrote:
GAHS83 wrote:
Go preach that message to your team! I hope they all have that attitude going into the game!
I can assure you that Coach Hall, his staff, and the Ironmen do NOT share the same attitude as some of the posters on here. They are fully aware of what this rivalry means and they know that Gallia Academy will put forth their best effort of the season on Friday night.
I think the Ironmen aren't going to overlook the Blue Devils but I believe they will play with intensity which will produce results. They have a little bad taste in their mouth from last year when they won fair and square at Gallia and then the Bluedevils wouldn't shake hands after the game.
I'm Just Say'in!

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

jackson is good but you need to step up your schedule so when you are 9-0 in your region you can have a home playoff game... jackson wins

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

southernohiofan wrote:jackson is good but you need to step up your schedule so when you are 9-0 in your region you can have a home playoff game... jackson wins
Can't disagree. It sure would have been nice to host the first home playoff game in Alumni stadium if we go 10-0.
Oh Well it's been a great season no matter what happens from here on out.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

The Blue Devils didnt shake hands after the game??? I would really like to take a look at the game film to see if that is correct! I know my son probably didnt since he took a cheap shot to the knee in the last 10 seconds of the game with no one even around him!!!

Mrs M

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Gallia wouldn't shake hands ...
Jackson took a cheap shot at my son ...
The bottled water at Gallia is from the Chickamauga ...
Jackson served hot dogs made from roadkill to GA fans ...
Ah, the quasi-urban legends of the Gallia Academy-Jackson football rivalry!
Funniest thing I've seen in this series ... Former Gallia Co. Prosecutor Brent Saunders wore an awful-looking get-up to, I think, the playoff game at Jackson (1999?). He had on a hat with a mullet hanging off of it and a mouthpiece with some teeth blacked out. The hat read: "Mayor of Jackson."
My memory on the date might be fuzzy.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

And just exactly what is wrong with roadkill hotdogs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

Witness whatever, You might think it is funny and that is fine, I know this is just a forum, but it really upset me, Our boys have played with alot of pride and to the best of my knowledge I have ever seen them be unsportsman like. I could be wrong, but I DID see the unsportmanlike shot to the knee! I just hope the boys have a injury free game and play with pride. This could be the last High School game for some of them. Have fun boys and play well. Go Blue!!

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Mrs. M: You gotta defend your cub and his homies, Momma! I can dig it!

camnott: Nothing wrong with roadkill hot dogs, dawg! Kinda like the re-fried possum pies I enjoyed in my yute (youth). :lol:

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

I hear ya!!!!

WitnessProtection
All Conference

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

kvnchambers........you were not the only one that noticed coach Eddy without headphones last week. That does not mean he is not responsible for them going back to the wing-T. It also does not mean he was responsible for it. In a previous post I was just speculating that he was.
I also agree that we didn't run much between the tackles against WL and that we were successful running off tackle.
I also agree that if you are successful running between the tackles your opponent will load the box against you. If they do, you took them out of their base defense. Seems to me that would be a good thing.
When they stack the box, that should give you other places to attack. Our playbook should have multiple plays to make a team pay for stacking the box. I have the impression from past games that we don't do that very well. It seems to me that our playbook is lacking in this situation. There has also been times that we have executed poorly in this situation.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

When asked about his team's execution after a defeat, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach John McKay said: "I think it's a good idea."
McKay coached the Bucs from 1976-1984. He coached the University of Southern California from 1960-1975. McKay passed away in 2001 at the age of 77.

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

It's about time this thread starts heating up remember gallia and Jackson hate eachother last year this thread was 7 pages long at this time.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

If you want hate from this poster, I would suggest that you do not hold your breath.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Ironmannut07 wrote:It's about time this thread starts heating up remember gallia and Jackson hate eachother last year this thread was 7 pages long at this time.
Okay. You asked for it.

Jackson fan: Boo, Gallia! All Blue Devil fans are toothless, barefoot and dumb.

Gallia fan: Boo, Jackson! All Ironmen fans are fat, lazy and stupid.

That enough hate fer ye? :lol:

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

:aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa24

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

WitnessProtection wrote:
Ironmannut07 wrote:It's about time this thread starts heating up remember gallia and Jackson hate eachother last year this thread was 7 pages long at this time.
Okay. You asked for it.

Jackson fan: Boo, Gallia! All Blue Devil fans are toothless, barefoot and dumb.

Gallia fan: Boo, Jackson! All Ironmen fans are fat, lazy and stupid.

That enough hate fer ye? :lol:
Haha I darn near fell over laughing at this thanks that made my day lmfao

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

I try to stay away from predicting winners on this forum. I believe most everyone knows I am a GAHS fan. I don't ever remember predicting a score. I'll try it and see how close I come. It will probably be my first and last attempt.

Taylor kicks five field goals and Gallipolis wins 22-21.

Return to “Football”