August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

BigSpoon
JV Team

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by BigSpoon »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:14 am
BigSpoon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:12 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:50 pm

That sounds about right with Burg losing by a couple of scores; IHS at home, first start for Burg sophomore QB, and IHS with the better line. Burg D will keep them close but I think the O will struggle.

Excited to see how this season progresses for Burg and the young QB.
Irontons QB will make plays with his legs. That will be the difference in this game. He will keep the chains moving. Burg’s defense will wear down the 2nd half. I think Ironton has too many weapons. If Ironton scores 21+ I dont think Burg can keep up
Execution. All about execution in the moment. That will decide things.
Ironton hasn’t had a qb who could scramble the last few years. Thacker has some wheels and hes I believe hes 6’3 230

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

BigSpoon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:16 am

Irontons QB will make plays with his legs. That will be the difference in this game. He will keep the chains moving. Burg’s defense will wear down the 2nd half. I think Ironton has too many weapons. If Ironton scores 21+ I dont think Burg can keep up
Ironton hasn’t had a qb who could scramble the last few years. Thacker has some wheels and hes I believe hes 6’3 230
Just gotta make sure we protect the ball & limit unforced errors. If Ironton plays clean its not a close game.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

BigSpoon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:16 am

Carpenter had some decent wheels. He made plenty of plays w his legs also during his tenure. He just didnt HAVE TO do it a lot. He was effective. Ironton has the atheletes. Ironton just has to show growth and improvement at the LOS & improvement in limiting unforced errors & turnovers. And from a coaching standpoint they need to be more intentional & balanced w the play calling. If they continue building up those things sky is the limit.

I think Ironton is going to come out and pound burg with the run offensively and I expect to see them be very active defensively. Lotsa pressure on the young burg qb. He's gonna take some of the best hits hes ever taken week 1. 💯

Mr Shifty
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr Shifty »

Some, perhaps those who do not like to deal with reality, have dismissed the ominous warnings about this week's game. Burg fans have been content to just snuggly sit back and let fighting tiger fans wax on, spewing the same verbiage as the year before and the years before that.

Thankfully, the coaching staff at Ironton have not allowed themselves to be intoxicated with the same strong drink. They are wide eyed fear and it is fear that can keep them alive. Yet, fear can be a double edged sword. Fear can paralyze as well. A very proud man can be easily destroyed in a situation like this. His ego keeps him buoyed, take it away in a game like this and his destruction is right around the corner

Has Napoleon came face to face with his Waterloo?

10-0 or 4 & 6? A huge piece of that puzzle will be revealed in a few days

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Mr Shifty wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:43 am Some, perhaps those who do not like to deal with reality, have dismissed the ominous warnings about this week's game. Burg fans have been content to just snuggly sit back and let fighting tiger fans wax on, spewing the same verbiage as the year before and the years before that.

Thankfully, the coaching staff at Ironton have not allowed themselves to be intoxicated with the same strong drink. They are wide eyed fear and it is fear that can keep them alive. Yet, fear can be a double edged sword. Fear can paralyze as well. A very proud man can be easily destroyed in a situation like this. His ego keeps him buoyed, take it away in a game like this and his destruction is right around the corner

The Ego on the IHS sidelines, was dealt with so long ago that you’ll have to find a new way to get into the minds of anyone on that sideline.

Head coach down.

You’ll have to find another way to shake up the FighTing Tigers & the ONLY WAY TO DO THAT, is to BEAT THEM.

Anything can happen.

But, i strongly believe that will not come to pass.

#GoTgo

GetTheBall
GetTheBall
GetTheBall
GetTheBall
GetTheBall

GoTigersGo

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Mr Shifty wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:43 am Some, perhaps those who do not like to deal with reality, have dismissed the ominous warnings about this week's game. Burg fans have been content to just snuggly sit back and let fighting tiger fans wax on, spewing the same verbiage as the year before and the years before that.

Trolling grade = D - = poor creativity and execution

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:12 am
Bfan99 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:59 pm Ironton lost 8 starters from last years team. Definitely still a lot of uncertainty with this team. I would give the edge at QB,WRs and OL/DL to the Tigers and Burg has the edge at RB, LBs and DBs because of experience. A lot of pressure will be on both QBs. The burg young QB will be making his first start at the Tank in front of 7k+ fans. I think both teams will improve throughout the year with players gaining experience and coaches moving players around, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a rematch in the playoffs. Tiger 21-10
That sounds about right with Burg losing by a couple of scores; IHS at home, first start for Burg sophomore QB, and IHS with the better line. Burg D will keep them close but I think the O will struggle.

Itll be a competitive contest. Week 1 it comes down to execution in the moment. 💯
I think Ironton by two scores, but you’re right. Poor execution and/or turnovers could make this game swing wildly one way or the other; 2021 season is a prime example of that.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:55 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:12 am

Itll be a competitive contest. Week 1 it comes down to execution in the moment. 💯
I think Ironton by two scores, but you’re right. Poor execution and/or turnovers could make this game swing wildly one way or the other; 2021 season is a prime example of that.
Yes. Easily a mistake or two changes everything in a blink.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

This is a pick em game. Burg probably has better coaching staff and Ironton better conditioning program. I think the talent is almost even hence < Burg. I look for Wheelersburg to win 17-10.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:43 pm This is a pick em game. Burg probably has better coaching staff and Ironton better conditioning program. I think the talent is almost even hence < Burg. I look for Wheelersburg to win 17-10.
Unfortunately, I didn’t take much away from the scrimmages, so not sure how good either team is at this point.

Reason I have Ironton by two scores: think the key to the game is Burg OL against IHS DL. Ironton will win this matchup making it hard for Burg to run the ball. This will put all the pressure on the sophomore QB.

Now of course if either team goes “2021” and turns the ball over 5 times, then this could be anyone’s ballgame.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:55 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:43 pm This is a pick em game. Burg probably has better coaching staff and Ironton better conditioning program. I think the talent is almost even hence < Burg. I look for Wheelersburg to win 17-10.
Unfortunately, I didn’t take much away from the scrimmages, so not sure how good either team is at this point.

Reason I have Ironton by two scores: think the key to the game is Burg OL against IHS DL. Ironton will win this matchup making it hard for Burg to run the ball. This will put all the pressure on the sophomore QB.

Now of course if either team goes “2021” and turns the ball over 5 times, then this could be anyone’s ballgame.
I agree.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck BURG

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

this game is going to go exactly like this:

slow start and several turnovers by both offense's, couple bone headed penalties by undisciplined Ironton, low scoring first half -- Ironton up a score at half, 13-7. Then Ironton will blow it open in the second half as Burg is unable to move the ball. 35-10 Tigers.

hope I'm dead wrong, but I see it being similar to the last matchup at Tank.

Go Burg

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 am this game is going to go exactly like this:

slow start and several turnovers by both offense's, couple bone headed penalties by undisciplined Ironton, low scoring first half -- Ironton up a score at half, 13-7. Then Ironton will blow it open in the second half as Burg is unable to move the ball. 35-10 Tigers.

Go Burg
Stick to your day job and stop predicting stuff Burg fan.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 am this game is going to go exactly like this:

Go Burg

I think the big difference between this years team and the ‘21 game is you guys actually have a guy who is a quarterback. When they trotted our Mathews for that game I knew it was a wrap, he was phenomenal athlete but just wasn’t a quarterback. However after all this new qb is a sophomore so will be interesting to see how it plays out

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:48 am

Go Burg

I think the big difference between this years team and the ‘21 game is you guys actually have a guy who is a quarterback. When they trotted our Mathews for that game I knew it was a wrap, he was phenomenal athlete but just wasn’t a quarterback. However after all this new qb is a sophomore so will be interesting to see how it plays out
yea Jones getting hurt close to week 1 really threw a wrench in things that year. Wasn't a terrible idea to put the ball in the hands of our best athlete but clearly didn't work lol as they pulled him at half.

Rucker undoubtedly throws a great ball, but starting your first game ever, as a sophomore, at Tank, is a tough spot. I think he'll get better as the season goes and he settles, but I don't expect much from him this week.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 am

Go Burg

yea Jones getting hurt close to week 1 really threw a wrench in things that year. Wasn't a terrible idea to put the ball in the hands of our best athlete but clearly didn't work lol as they pulled him at half.

Rucker undoubtedly throws a great ball, but starting your first game ever, as a sophomore, at Tank, is a tough spot. I think he'll get better as the season goes and he settles, but I don't expect much from him this week.
Burgs sophomore QB is not your typical sophomore. His pocket awareness is special. He's very calm in the pocket and has a good clock on him. He's not afraid to tuck and run when he needs too. Raceland's defense came after him, and I only thought he made one bad decision on a throw. It was somehow completed but I thought it was ill-advised.

He still needs to get stronger and bigger but as far as holding back the playbook on him game 1, I seriously doubt that happens. Helps that he has a good offensive line.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Hes definitely a competent QB, I agree with all you said about his awareness/presence. I'm just saying I'm not expecting him to take over THIS game. For Burg to win this game we'll need to be able to run the ball and eat clock offensively -- which I think we can do. I'm concerned with the defensive side of the ball. Darling started at LB vs Raceland along side Salyers, I think thats a good move. I'm worried about the tackling in the secondary outside of Hutchinson. If/when Ironton gets to the second level, either in the run game or YAC, I'll be nervous.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Go Burg

Think you are getting your years mixed up.

Matthews started at QB in the 2019 game. Stamper started in the 2021 game at the Tank. In that game, Burg had four turnovers in Q2 that resulted in four IHS touchdowns.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:34 am

Go Burg

Think you are getting your years mixed up.

Matthews started at QB in the 2019 game. Stamper started in the 2021 game at the Tank. In that game, Burg had four turnovers in Q2 that resulted in four IHS touchdowns.
you're right. Got me mixed up too, Stamper started '21 bc Jones was hurt.

Return to “Football”