schedule for Notre Dame in 2011

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

schedule for Notre Dame in 2011

Post by ManitouDan »

question for ND backers :

as far as scheduling for football would you like to see a schedule very similiar to the past 2 years including such tough opponents as Greenup Co and Africentric , and long long looooong road trips like Rosecrans and fairfield christian OR

something more local and somewhat less tough (esp less than GC and Africentric) . Another way of stating the question is would you rather go 6-4 or 7-3 and be 50:50 on a shot at the playoffs or schedule somewhat easier and have to go 9-1 or 8-2 to make the playoffs ?

IMO I'd like to drop the far away opponents and attempt to pick up more local ones. Even if it means making the schedule somewhat less difficult.

again IMO I'd rather win some games and possibly get left out of the playoffs at 9-1 or 8-2 than schedule very difficult, have to go 6-4 or 7-3 to get in.

What opponents could we add that are similiar in size to us ? one that makes sense to me that would be a good gate and IMO give each team a legit shot at victory nearly every year is Lewis Co. (can't believe they would'nt want to get out of a couple long trips either) or maybe Fairview . Both are close enough to create local interest . Heck the mayor of Firebrick already attends Sat night ND games. Lol MD

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: schedule for Notre Dame in 2011

Post by ManitouDan »

please no suggestions for Mountain top HS in West Virginny. Can't believe anyone would want games up there. MD

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Why not trimble or belpre?

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

Do they have any open dates?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

?? don't know heck I'm not exactly an informed insider. I'm just a fan. MD

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I heard at the game last saturday against East that we did drop Africntric and GC....anyone else n
know about this???

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

What weeks are those games?

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

weeks 2 and 3

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

weeks 2 and 3

footballcrazy
Riding the Bench

Post by footballcrazy »

Graduated from Marshall same time as Nate McPeek I was seeing who they played in playoffs this week, he said they called Sammons numurous times, finally called back and ND's head coach did not want to play Fairview. Tell me beside lewis co. what small schools in your area are there to play ? your going to have to travel at least an 1 1/2 to 2

footballcrazy
Riding the Bench

Post by footballcrazy »

who would want to go 9-1 or 8-2 and not make the playoffs? pad the schedule for school wins and coach's glory or teach the kids hard work and fighting thru adversity and gaining a playoff spot and team achievement?

photo_electric_guy
JV Team

Post by photo_electric_guy »

For someone who isn't a ND fan you sure post a lot on the ND topics. I have yet you see you post on any of the teams topics that you say you are for. Let ND do the scheduling and we'll make the drive if we have to. As far as the playoffs. I can't see it being a problem of yours because both of your teams are in the playoffs. 58

BlueandGold
Waterboy

Post by BlueandGold »

footballcrazy...
Can you provide a Division 6 football team with a record of 8-2 or 9-1 that didn't get in the playoffs the past 2 seasons? Have you ever played on a football team with 25 players? I agree with what you said about fighting through adversity, but making the playoffs with a tough schedule is few and far between at ND. In a school with 36 boys, you have to wait for that next big/good group to come through, then they have to mature before success. You can teach kids hard work and fighting through adversity playing schools their size. Everytime ND steps on the field they are fighting through adversity because the numbers at ND limit you so much, that some kids must play as freshman. Nothing teaches the attributes you mentioned above like a good thumping, getting up, and getting ready for the next play. ND cannot afford to have injuries, you don't have back up's... your back up wide receiver is your tailback and your back up strong safety is your free safety. The kids that don't play are young and are not physically ready to play varsity football.

I assume you will say these are excuses and that's fine, but you don't know what you don't know.
Last edited by BlueandGold on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

footballcrazy
Riding the Bench

Post by footballcrazy »

Well I'm familiar with several coaches in your area, Hall, who is now out here at Jackson, Miller from Coal Grove, Danny McDavid who is now at Green and McKnight who I believe coached you all in the playoffs in 06? or 07 and ? Didnt he get you guys in one year with a tough schedule at 6-4?

BlueandGold
Waterboy

Post by BlueandGold »

I didn't say it was impossible. It happens every few years as good groups of kids, in terms of numbers, come through and mature. Coach McKnight had some good seasons, as have other past ND coaches. Bob Ashley's 2000 team beat Minford, Oak Hill, Valley and West. But to win and get into the playoffs consistently, the likes of Minford, Valley and West will not and should not be appearing on the ND schedule, as they were staples of the schedule up through maybe 2003. Greenup (over 1,000 students) and Africentric (Div. 5), based on numbers alone, are two teams from this year's schedule that ND may beat every few years, but would struggle with long term, based on numbers.

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

Notre Dame was the second smallest school in the state to field a football team a few years back -- not sure where they stand now. They know better than most what it means to fight thru adversity. Only when you are truly in small school football do you understand this.

They have done incredibly well with what they have.

Playoffs - smayoffs........
Lets take a shot at going 8 - 2 or 9 - 1 and not make it.

Here is where I believe priorities should lay:

1) Have a winning season. Kids enjoy winning games more than losing. When programs win participation increases. (reference Valley's program a few years back).
2) Win your conference -- get a gold football.
3) Lastly, and I say lastly --- go to the playoffs.

Notre Dame graduates around 20 - 24 kids a year. Every single school they play has bigger numbers. You cannot talk about them watering down a schedule ---- that is pure nonsense!

footballcrazy
Riding the Bench

Post by footballcrazy »

I agree with you Blue and Gold good post!!

footballcrazy
Riding the Bench

Post by footballcrazy »

I agree with you too, dirt cinders, except making the playoffs. That is the ultimate goal to have a chance at the best and is more special coming from a school your size. Maybe you could try some TVC schools and some smaller OVC schools that will help your travel out. Best of luck to you all in the future!!

BlueandGold
Waterboy

Post by BlueandGold »

dirt_cinders...
The Valley teams you referenced that went 10-0 and didn't make the playoffs, were in a time when they only took the top 4 teams in each region. As I stated earlier, there has not been a Division 6 team in the past 2 years to go 10-0, 9-1 or 8-2 and not make the playoffs. However, I do think it's important to get into the playoffs for the purpose of drawing students. There haven't been very many years (maybe 0) since the expansion to 8 teams per region, that the conference champion didn't get into the playoffs (correct me if I'm wrong). If you win the conference, you more than likely get into the playoffs.

I smell good
JV Team

Post by I smell good »

1. Valley went 10-0 once in like 92 and didn't make the playoffs. They also went 10-0 four straight years WITH trips to the playoffs.

2. Just last year I'm pretty sure a team in D5 went undefeated and didn't make the playoffs.

Research is our friend.

Return to “Football”