Columbus Schools closing: region effect?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Columbus Schools closing: region effect?

Post by 93Bulldog »

Anyone know which Columbus schools are for sure closing?

I know Independence is one and Brookhaven in one.

Those two schools alone will have a big impact on Division III, Region 9. Brookhaven was (8-2) last year and made the playoffs. Independence went (6-4) and barely missed.

But the bigger question is: where will those football players end up? Where will those students (boys) end up - and what will the OHSAA do if the school they go to becomes bigger than its division last season?

(i.e.) If 100 boys end up going to Marion Franklin, that will certainly push MF into Division II. Will they still be allowed to compete in DIII? And if you do move them up, DIII, Region 9 becomes really small with the closing schools already gone.

Interesting info I would like to know.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be a mess for the OHSAA to figure out.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Columbus Schools closing: region effect?

Post by Poo Bear »

Why are these schools shutting down?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Viking96 wrote:Why are these schools shutting down?
Finances.

Everything revolves around dollars and cents anymore.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I'm surprised that local schools haven't had to shutdown. Take like scooting county with 15+ high schools

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

They will leave the divisions as they are until the next count.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Viking96 wrote:I'm surprised that local schools haven't had to shutdown. Take like scooting county with 15+ high schools
Scooting county??
:lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Viking96 wrote:I'm surprised that local schools haven't had to shutdown. Take like scooting county with 15+ high schools
I am gonna assume you meant Scioto county.....

Columbus City schools is a school district which has many High schools.
Scioto county has many different school districts. So you are really talking about two different things.
Force consolidation is a whole other animal than a school district closing a few schools within the district.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Orange and Brown wrote:They will leave the divisions as they are until the next count.
I just don't see how that is fair.

If Brookhaven players join with MF in Division III, Region 9 - they can probably just pencil themselves in the final 4 ... especially if they pick up a few players from Independence.

You could basically have a school/team with possibly 500 boys playing in D3.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I imagine the city will try to divide the kids up depending on where they live.

OHSAA does a lot of things that aren't fair so I don't think they will do anything til the next count.
I'm wrong about all kinds of stuff though so who knows lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

93Bulldog wrote:Anyone know which Columbus schools are for sure closing?

I know Independence is one and Brookhaven in one.

Those two schools alone will have a big impact on Division III, Region 9. Brookhaven was (8-2) last year and made the playoffs. Independence went (6-4) and barely missed.

But the bigger question is: where will those football players end up? Where will those students (boys) end up - and what will the OHSAA do if the school they go to becomes bigger than its division last season?

(i.e.) If 100 boys end up going to Marion Franklin, that will certainly push MF into Division II. Will they still be allowed to compete in DIII? And if you do move them up, DIII, Region 9 becomes really small with the closing schools already gone.

Interesting info I would like to know.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be a mess for the OHSAA to figure out.
From what they said on the Columbus news it is only haven....some how Independence was saved..........but this was about 2 or 3 weeks ago

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

^Brookhaven is in an area with a lot of schools, independence has no schools close to it. I'd say most will go to northland and maybe De Sales

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

I would say they will probably split the kids up between Mifflin, Northland, and Whetstone.
Linden McKinley is also close by, but is the STEM magnet for all of CCS and I believe students have to apply to attend there.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Independence will stay open.

Students from Brookhaven will have the option of returning to their home school (students, through a lottery, can switch schools within Columbus Public), and those whose home school is Brookhaven will attend Mifflin HS.

My guess is that a lot of students will end up at Northland or Beechcroft through the lottery. Brookhaven's head coach and most of the staff were just hired at Beechcroft. They had previously been HUGE rivals.

I work about a mile from Brookhaven HS. Also within that mile are Northland and Beechcroft here on the north side.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Beechcroft was a (6-4) team in Division III, Region 9.

Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Groveport-Madison is not closing but they have a levy comming up in May if it fails
they will Eliminate all athletic and extra-curricular programs at all grade levels.
what option would there players have?
this also started a rumor that if it happens Athens will take there week 6 game aginst Lancaster

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Football fan wrote:Groveport-Madison is not closing but they have a levy comming up in May if it fails
they will Eliminate all athletic and extra-curricular programs at all grade levels.
this also started a rumor that if it happens Athens will take there week 6 game aginst Lancaster
I would guess they would go to pay to play and it would at least keep sports somewhat active for next year at the very least.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

danicalifornia wrote:
Football fan wrote:Groveport-Madison is not closing but they have a levy comming up in May if it fails
I would guess they would go to pay to play and it would at least keep sports somewhat active for next year at the very least.
they already have pay-to-participate fees now.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Portsmouth
2. Valley
3. Burg
4. Minford
5. South Webster
6. Northwest
7. Clay
8. Green
9. West
10. East
11. New Boston
12. Notre Dame (Catholic)

viking96 made me

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote:Beechcroft was a (6-4) team in Division III, Region 9.

Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.
For the last decade or so I would say Beechcroft has had one of the best defensive traditions in central Ohio. They've routinely scheduled up playing Watterson and OCC schools, and play really solid defense.

They do struggle to score against elite teams though. They are definitely in the category of Brookhaven/Marion-Franklin. Will be interesting to see if they can mesh new students together to create chemistry.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

According to the article I just read, the students that choose to stay in the Columbus Public School system will be divided between Mifflin HS and Whetstone HS. The Brookhaven students would also have the option to attend any charter school of their liking. Brookhaven (D3-R9) had 337 boys at the last count, while Mifflin (D3-R9) had 342 and Whetstone (D2-R5) had 468 respectively. Assuming that each school would get roughly half of the current Brookhaven students then both Mifflin and Whetstone would be drastically over the limit for their current division. Currently D3 is 281-402 boys, Mifflin with about half the available boys would likely be somewhere around 500-510 which should put them right in the middle of D2 (currently set at 403-607 boys). Whetstone with about half of the available boys would be somewhere in the 625-635 range and well over the D1 minimum. With changes that big, I would think that the OHSAA would have little choice but to reassign these schools to the appropriate divisions while leaving the rest of the teams in the regions and divisions where they currently are.

Return to “Football”