Whom Should Chesapeake Drop?

robycop3
All State

Whom Should Chesapeake Drop?

Post by robycop3 »

With the possibility of more schools coming into the OVC besides Portsmouth, which will replace River Valley, which current football opponent should Peake replace if it must replace one with a new OVC opponent?

WAYNE, WV-this has been a good rivalry for both schools over the years, even though dominated by Wayne the last several years. The game is usually a sellout no matter where it's played.

OAK HILL-This rivalry has just recently been renewed, and is usually a hoss and a hoss. Usually a packed house at each site.

SYMMES VALLEY-A traditional rivalry that usually fills either stadium. No way should this series be ended!

LUCASVILLE VALLEY-Always a good opponent, but not quite a stadium-packer. Might be on the 'endangered rivalry' list.

PORTSMOUTH WEST-Another good opponent, but without quite the large rivalry tradition of some of Peake's other opponents.

I believe I'd definitely keep Symmes Valley and Wayne on the schedule if possible, with Oak Hill right behind. If I had to drop one, I'd flip a coin between Valley and West.

I'm sure some of you have different thoughts. YOUR opinions, please? Also, from fans of other OVC schools, what non-conference opponents do YOU think should be replaced?

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Whom Should Chesapeake Drop?

Post by mattash »

SV and Wayne are keepers both being close and big gate games.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I would think that Valley would want out of the Chesapeake series. I am willing to bet that there were fewer than 75 fans from Peake in week 4. It was just terrible. The Panther faithful, not the Valley fans are the reason that Peake/Valley is not "a stadium packer".

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I would say drop Wayne, just to tough every year and almost always a loss for the Panthers. The gate will be made up with the addition of Ironton to the OVC. Chesapeake would have a better chance at beating the Tigers year in and year out than Wayne IMO.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

Crab's brother wrote:I would think that Valley would want out of the Chesapeake series. I am willing to bet that there were fewer than 75 fans from Peake in week 4. It was just terrible. The Panther faithful, not the Valley fans are the reason that Peake/Valley is not "a stadium packer".
Agreed! It's been that way the last 2 years. Peake hasn't even averaged a parent/family member per kid between football players, cheerleaders, and band members. There is no doubt that Chesapeake would have been lucky to break the 100 fan mark the last 2 years.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

On typical years wins over Chesapeake has done little for Valley anyways.

2010 Valley was 8-2 missed the playoffs by .75 and Peake was 5-5
2009 Valley missed the playoffs at 7-3 and Peake was 4-6

Valley should continue to improve their schedule and Peake should find another win to put on their schedule. Since 2006, Peake is 1-7 vs Valley.

Looks like its an easy choice for who Peake turns loose from their schedule and that will only help Valley if they replace Peake with a better opponent.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

However, with what valley has coming thru the Jr., I think they'll be down for the next 3 or 4 years. So Chesapeke could get a few wins over Valley. It's looks like the Wayne, WV program is the one that has been pouring the coals to the 'Peke over the past few years. This year it was 63-7, and anytime a team is beating you that bad, it's no good for either program. I'd drop Wayne and pick River Valley back up in the early season so your team can gain a little confidence and momentum heading into the season.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Vladimir wrote:However, with what valley has coming thru the Jr., I think they'll be down for the next 3 or 4 years. So Chesapeke could get a few wins over Valley. It's looks like the Wayne, WV program is the one that has been pouring the coals to the 'Peke over the past few years. This year it was 63-7, and anytime a team is beating you that bad, it's no good for either program. I'd drop Wayne and pick River Valley back up in the early season so your team can gain a little confidence and momentum heading into the season.
Valley has 6 sophomores, including the starting quarterback and 2 starting linemen, playing vital roles on this team. We heard how Valley was going to be down after the Yates and Keller class graduated, but they've won 19 of 20 since. Yes, Valley Jr. High team is down right now, but things tend to change once 4 classes are thrown together.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

Wayne Will not be on next year's schedule. We have picked up Portsmouth Notre Dame for one year. Last I have heard we are still shy one game. I can find out tomorrow.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I would say West.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

Right now, Wayne is a powerhouse, with a great coach who's instilled his philosophy down into the local youth teams. But was not so long ago that Peake useta regularly drub Wayne, and they had some very close games not that long ago. Right now, the shoe is on Wayne's foot, but it could be on the other foot in a few years. But at any rate, the game is still a stadium-packer, whether played at Wayne or Peake.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

Shouldn't drop the Wayne game, only team in WV worth playing for the Peake, Tulsa was a haul, and with CK and Vinson gone, no need to travel further.
It sells well, and if an avg Peake team bets a state champ Wayne that's enough said. . Great game great atmosphere.
Not a fan of the West or Valley series, keep it under 45minutes travel

So time to look into burg ad green. . . The only schools within 45 minutes

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Misteroby wrote:With the possibility of more schools coming into the OVC besides Portsmouth, which will replace River Valley, which current football opponent should Peake replace if it must replace one with a new OVC opponent?

WAYNE, WV-this has been a good rivalry for both schools over the years, even though dominated by Wayne the last several years. The game is usually a sellout no matter where it's played.

OAK HILL-This rivalry has just recently been renewed, and is usually a hoss and a hoss. Usually a packed house at each site.

SYMMES VALLEY-A traditional rivalry that usually fills either stadium. No way should this series be ended!

LUCASVILLE VALLEY-Always a good opponent, but not quite a stadium-packer. Might be on the 'endangered rivalry' list.

PORTSMOUTH WEST-Another good opponent, but without quite the large rivalry tradition of some of Peake's other opponents.

I believe I'd definitely keep Symmes Valley and Wayne on the schedule if possible, with Oak Hill right behind. If I had to drop one, I'd flip a coin between Valley and West.

I'm sure some of you have different thoughts. YOUR opinions, please? Also, from fans of other OVC schools, what non-conference opponents do YOU think should be replaced?
Drop Lucasville and West, then pick up someone else.

Then if it comes to it, rotate series with Wayne and Oak Hill. However, I think the OVC teams will be able to count on 3-4 OOC games a year for now.

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

Anyone at that 2011 Chesapeake-Wayne game knows that wasn't an "average" Chesapeake team. Plus it was 96 degrees at kickoff. Both teams struggled with the heat and had a combined 9 turnovers. It was as sloppy of a game as I've seen.

Remember, they basically outplayed St. Clairsville in the playoffs and lost.

Wayne made some changes later in the year and became much, much more consistent.

BTW, in 2002, Wayne beat a Chesapeake regional finalist team, 41-0.

Wayne has owned the overall series between the two. Chesapeake was better through the 90's, which was Wayne's worst decade in school history. Chesapeake had some very, very good teams in the late 90's.

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

And let me add, I'm disappointed to see this series end. Chesapeake-Wayne was the longest running interstate series in the Tri-State, having played the last 25 years. It was BY FAR Wayne's shortest trip. Every Wayne road trip is now over an hour. Mingo Central was a 2 hour trip. Herbert Hoover will be a 90-minute trip. Poca is about an hour. Bluefield is 3 hours, all one way.

You guys have no idea how nice you have it when it comes to OVC travel. Now Wayne's closest game will be Tolsia, which is 40 minutes one way.

Wayne has recently played regular season games with Keyser (5 hours, one way), Ravenswood (2 hours, one way), one at Ripley against Magnolia (2 hours, one way), one at James Monroe (3-1/2 hours one way).

Chesapeake is losing a big gate every two years.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

As for my school, given enrollment at the middle school and lower, I think it's safe to say that when OHSAA does realignment in 2015, we will be back up in Division IV since we were just barely beneath the cutoff for IV/V this time around.

Dream schedule:

Week 1 - Point Pleasant/Meigs (DIV, R13)
Week 2 - Wellston (DV, R17)
Week 3 - Wheelersburg (DV, R17)
Week 4 - Gallia Academy (DIV, R13)/South Gallia (DVII, R25)
Week 5 - Portsmouth (DV, R17)
Week 6 - Ironton (DV, R17)
Week 7 - South Point (DV, R17)
Week 8 - Coal Grove (DVI, R21)
Week 9 - Rock Hill (DV, R17)
Week 10 - Chesapeake (DV, R17) -- IMO this should always be Week 10 - NOT the same week as Homecoming...that's what South Point is for. ;)

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Pioneer_PA wrote:And let me add, I'm disappointed to see this series end. Chesapeake-Wayne was the longest running interstate series in the Tri-State, having played the last 25 years.
I don't think it's over. With the OVC becoming a 7-team league (and the possibility of adding an 8th later on), this is all just speculation for when the member schools have to drop from scheduling 5 non-conference games to 3-4.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

It is over. Both teams mutually agreed to end the series.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

Pioneer_PA wrote:
Chesapeake is losing a big gate every two years.

We are also picking up a solid gate every year assuming that Ironton and Portsmouth play us at home on opposite years.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Pioneer_PA wrote:... Chesapeake-Wayne was the longest running interstate series in the Tri-State, having played the last 25 years...
Ironton vs. Ashland has been going on way longer than 25 years.

Return to “Football”