Freshman

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Freshman

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ovc fan wrote:
OHbuckeye1 wrote:
3musketeers wrote:Last year I had heard Ironton's 8th grade was going to be the best Freshman class, but I must say I was not real impressed when I saw them play Chesapeake. They had some athletic player but played more as individuals. I felt Chesapeake played better as a team. I do believe Chesapeake beat them. :122246

Well let's see,

Dion Brown missed the season due to a knee injury.

Zac Carter plays Varsity.

Tanner Duty, Josh Glover, Trevor White, Trey Fletcher and Nick Culbertson play on the JV Team. :122246 :122245

2 or 3 of the kids that wouldve been freshman decided not to play this year for the peake either...so whats that got to do with the price of tea in china. If they get beat, they get beat. Move on.

It's not that they are not playing but contrare, they are playing up JV / VARSITY :122249 :122245

Three of them start on the JV Team........ :122245

Move on now............

baddog
Riding the Bench

Post by baddog »

Peebles freshman team lost last week to Fairfield. Trent would get my vote,he is a very well rounded player, but i haven't seen all the other freshman teams play.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

WOW! No pub for Chillicothes Zach Johnson? Just ask Portsmouth how good he is,he played great against them and made some huge buckets in the home stretch of that game.

Chief Lefty
Waterboy

Post by Chief Lefty »

I have seen alot of these freshmen and I would take Trent Arey hands down. Trents confidence is growing every start, its hard to be a standout on a team that is as talented as the 15-0 Peebles club. I would put him on any other team in SE district and he would be top 1-2 scorer.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

standout?

He wouldn't be a top 2 scorer on Portsmouth's team and probably not Zane Trace's either.

Everything I've read about Arey is positive and it sounds like he is a vital part of the undefeated team......but standout sounds a little much to me. Best of luck to hmi....sounds like a great one to be.

sports_jock_24
Waterboy

Post by sports_jock_24 »

I would have to say the best freshman around that i know of would be Shane Buckley from New Boston. He is lighting quick, good hands, and is extremly smart for his age. New Boston is going to have a good player to work around for the next few years.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Ironman92 wrote:standout?

He wouldn't be a top 2 scorer on Portsmouth's team and probably not Zane Trace's either.

Everything I've read about Arey is positive and it sounds like he is a vital part of the undefeated team......but standout sounds a little much to me. Best of luck to hmi....sounds like a great one to be.

He is deffinately a standout for a freshman, being a top 2 scorer on almost any other team right now is going a bit far.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Austin McBee from the Burg.. Great ball handler/point guard/defensive beast and shooter.. Get used to hearing McBeeeee for Threeeeee... :122245

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'll agree on the standout for a freshman.

Any stats on Arey?

3musketeers
Waterboy

Post by 3musketeers »

Just FYI, only six kids play on Chesapeake's JV squad (4 of them are freshman and 3 of the freshmen start). Chesapeake doesn't have a freshman squad. The point I was making was that the undersized underrated Chesapeake JV squad beat the much raved about freshmen from Ironton and seemed to play better as a team. But, congratulations to the Carter kid who plays on varsity.

-varsity-
JV Team

Post by -varsity- »

To show a little love to the SOC I, Shane Buckley from New Boston has played very well coach Stapleton. He has started every varsity game this season at point guard and handled the role very well. He doesnt play like a freshman. He handles the ball and brings it up the court for the Tigers every possession.

Bandwagoner
Freshman Team

Post by Bandwagoner »

Now, I've seen Lands, Craigen Moore, McBee, Massie, but haven't seen arey.. But Moore is a holdback(should be a soph.), Lands is tough, but he found out quick life outside the SOC I isnt fun as a freshman, McBee isnt quite ready for Varsity, & massie hasn't grown since 7th grade & needs McBee to compliment his game. But Waverly has 5 freshman on JV, always start two, sometimes three, & the other two/three play a decent amount. That's a pretty tough class of freshman.. IMO..

CatsBacker
Waterboy

Post by CatsBacker »

Massie too is a hold back , should be a soph . McBee may be as well since the Burg is renown for their kids starting school a year later than most . Lands can contribute but is not capable of having a large impact on any game . His job is to give a starter a break and not to turn the ball over while in the game . Crager from East is the best of those I've seen mentioned here , true freshman that is .

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Ironman92 wrote:I'll agree on the standout for a freshman.

Any stats on Arey?

Trent hasn't put up any eye-popping numbers, (i.e., averages 2.7 ppg) but he doesn't need to score with Seaman & Justice on the hardwood. He's super-quick, a true point guard, makes everyone on the floor better, and you definitely don't want #32 guarding you for the night.

cheer 'em on
Riding the Bench

Post by cheer 'em on »

Arey is as hard working as any one on the floor. He brings a spark to the defense and although plays like a freshman occasionally, has terrific potential. I'm counting on him to be the one to replace Seaman next year, in terms of being a top scorer and go-to man. I like watching him play.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Irontons Zac Carter scored a game high 27 Points and Trey Fletcher had 8 Points in Irontons 68-58 win against Logan (Varsity).

hardwoodhero
Waterboy

Post by hardwoodhero »

cheer 'em on wrote:Arey is as hard working as any one on the floor. He brings a spark to the defense and although plays like a freshman occasionally, has terrific potential. I'm counting on him to be the one to replace Seaman next year, in terms of being a top scorer and go-to man. I like watching him play.

(At work....gotta make this quick!!)- I don't think with Arey only averaging 2.7pts per game right now that he will be able to "JUMP" right into Seaman's shoes. Sure I think he brings great energy to the court, but IMO, a whole lot of work would have to go into the summer for him to turn into Seaman by next year. I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW...Arey doensn't HAVE to score right now with Seaman and Justice on the court....BUT....there are tons of teams out there that have two or more people scoring 20+ pts. per game, AND have atleast a 3rd player averaging double digits. But I still think he has the ability to be a great contributor and is always fun to watch!

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

hardwoodhero wrote:
cheer 'em on wrote:Arey is as hard working as any one on the floor. He brings a spark to the defense and although plays like a freshman occasionally, has terrific potential. I'm counting on him to be the one to replace Seaman next year, in terms of being a top scorer and go-to man. I like watching him play.

(At work....gotta make this quick!!)- I don't think with Arey only averaging 2.7pts per game right now that he will be able to "JUMP" right into Seaman's shoes. Sure I think he brings great energy to the court, but IMO, a whole lot of work would have to go into the summer for him to turn into Seaman by next year. I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW...Arey doensn't HAVE to score right now with Seaman and Justice on the court....BUT....there are tons of teams out there that have two or more people scoring 20+ pts. per game, AND have atleast a 3rd player averaging double digits. But I still think he has the ability to be a great contributor and is always fun to watch!

That was a mouthful...hope your boss didn't catch you. :)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I didn't expect Arey to be at 15 ppg or anything...just was wondering. I knew he played a lot for his defensive ability...which is quite the complement for a frosh.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:Irontons Zac Carter scored a game high 27 Points and Trey Fletcher had 8 Points in Irontons 68-58 win against Logan (Varsity).

I don't see any freshman in the area competing with Zac at this time...especially at the varsity level in this tough of a conference...

Return to “Boys Basketball”