SEOPS Hippo

Re: Belpre Versus Wellston ... 2-20-10

Post by Ironman92 »

The TVC is weird.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... how does Wellston come within 3 pts of Belpre??????????? go figure ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LOL ... BELPRE IS THE TRUE 'ENIGMA' TEAM IN SOUTHEASTERN OHIO THIS YEAR ... MAN-FOR-MAN, THEY HAVE AS MUCH TALENT AS ANYONE - HANDS DOWN!

WHY THEY DON'T PLAY UP TO IT IS BEYOND ME.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Regardless of whether they are an enigma team or not, they got absolutely screwed with their tournament seed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I agree they should have been ahead of Federal Hocking ... and they beat ALEXANDER twice, who is also ahead of them ... it was their overall record of 8-7 at the draw that hurt them ... Fed Hock was (9-8) and Alex was (10-8)

Now ... its BELPRE 10-8, 7-4 TVC-OHIO
ALEXANDER 10-9, 4-7 TVC-OHIO
FEDERAL HOCKING 9-10, 4-6 TVC-HOCKING.

THAT'S WHY THEY SHOULD BE DRAWING THIS SUNDAY - AND NOT LAST.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

No justification for it whatsoever. Another reason they need to go to a similiar system as football to seed teams. Too much politics in seeding. Teams should not be allowed to switch districts at will and too much loading up by blocks of coaches from one league versus another team or league in the minority. No fair way whatsoever to do it unless it is done like football. It is far past time for a change. The OHHSAA read statements at the draws preaching against such actions, the statements were ignored and the same old politics happened again.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Maybe they should all switch divisions for voting ... the D-2 coaches seed the D-III teams ... the D-III coaches seed Division IV and the Division IV coaches seed the D-II teams ... that would eliminate some politics ...

BTW ... BELPRE IS 10-8 NOT 9-9 ... WHICH MAKES THEIR SEEDING EVEN MORE RIDICULUS.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
ALSO .... trivalleyconference.com has been updated and lots of stuff has been added ... the TVC-NEWS link has new articles .... and the SCHEDULES link is full of updated tourney info for boys and girls.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

It is ridiculous 93 Bulldog, I agree. The question becomes "how does this happen?" since this is clearly what the OHHSAA says should not happen.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Give Wellston some credit, they played hard and played some good ball. Not to take anything away from them but Belpre's #6 man, Campbell did not play and Sims played very little.

Love him or hate him, Derrow coaches his teams to play good, fundamental ball.

I hope the return game vs Wellston gets played soon but with the tourney coming up and Wellston is a sectional site for both girls and boys, this game may not be played until after the sectionals and both teams are out of the state tourney.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Mister B wrote:Give Wellston some credit, they played hard and played some good ball. Not to take anything away from them but Belpre's #6 man, Campbell did not play and Sims played very little.

Love him or hate him, Derrow coaches his teams to play good, fundamental ball.

I hope the return game vs Wellston gets played soon but with the tourney coming up and Wellston is a sectional site for both girls and boys, this game may not be played until after the sectionals and both teams are out of the state tourney.

Grandson said game at Wellston is rescheduled for Thursday 2/25.I also thought that there was sectional games scheduled all week but evidently Thursday was open.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Actually 93 Federal had a better record then Belpre a the draw and beat Belpre so they do deserve to be above them. Also I'm not sure anyone on this side of the Athens County line likes them. There is a new coach so the coaches that have been around help each other out. Maybe they should play in WV I've heard that's were they get all the officials and you always hear people complaining about the officials in Belpre.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Most of the officials that do the Belpre home games are officials in both states seeing how we are on the state line. Not many officials will come down this way from Lancaster etc.

See many of these same officials at Belpre doing games for other Washington County schools and other Ohio river towns.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Post by zerotosixtynforty »

athens78 wrote:Actually 93 Federal had a better record then Belpre a the draw and beat Belpre so they do deserve to be above them. Also I'm not sure anyone on this side of the Athens County line likes them. There is a new coach so the coaches that have been around help each other out. Maybe they should play in WV I've heard that's were they get all the officials and you always hear people complaining about the officials in Belpre.

Officials used for Ohio schools have to be licensed in Ohio in order to officiate in Ohio . . and some officials licensed in both states. . though ohio once you have taken your class I advancement test you never have to take any more tests what so ever, done , period never have to open a rule book/mechanics book/situation book again if you don't want to. .just attend your board meetings, and attend your state clinic. . .vice West Virginia where every year one has to take a Part I test(open book) and a Part II (closed book) test on rules/application/mechanics and pass it to stay a class I, score poorly and loose your class I, drop to class II or even class III and not be able to officiate High School Basketball. . .

So complain away WV holds officials to higher standards to maintain a class I status than Ohio, which many of the officials used by Belpre have done several WV State tournaments at the Charleston Civic Center.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

How many tournament games will Belpre see those WV officials in? WV state tournament is a watered down version of Basketball.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Belpre has done very well in past Ohio tourneys using the Ohio officials assigned by the SEODAB up thru the regional tourney.

In fact, they have done better then the other TVC teams in the tourney. And for that matter, better than SEOAL teams.

I am sure that the folks in Indiana view the Ohio state tourney as a watered down version of basketball just as the folks in Texas/California or Florida view the Ohio football tourney as a watered down version of football.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Post by zerotosixtynforty »

athens78 wrote:How many tournament games will Belpre see those WV officials in? WV state tournament is a watered down version of Basketball.

78 would like to see any southeastern team play the likes of PHS, South, Logan, and others just to see how watered down it really is... as the lady waterford wildcats who have a very good team have seen playing south in preparation for their run at the tourney. .. as for the officials that were sent to belpre from the ohio boards never make the cut to officiate districts, regional, and state tourneys.....

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

zerotosixtynforty wrote:
athens78 wrote:How many tournament games will Belpre see those WV officials in? WV state tournament is a watered down version of Basketball.

78 would like to see any southeastern team play the likes of PHS, South, Logan, and others just to see how watered down it really is... as the lady waterford wildcats who have a very good team have seen playing south in preparation for their run at the tourney. .. as for the officials that were sent to belpre from the ohio boards never make the cut to officiate districts, regional, and state tourneys.....

zerotosixty...you cant seriosly think the level of ball being played in WV is the same as in Ohio...PHS and South have an enrollment way bigger than any school in southeastern ohio...if you wanna compare...think about PHS and South playing the likes of St. X, Northland, or any of the Cincy/Cleveland powers...it wouldnt even be close. South literally has over 10 times the girls to choose from than Waterford does..South would be a D1 school in ohio and wouldnt make it out of sectionals, and Waterford is D4.

I do agree with you on the officials though..plus its a lot closer for a lot of the guys from the Parkersburg board than the guys that are on the Athens board

Return to “Boys Basketball”