caglewis
SEOP

Re: 1/15 - IRONTON 79 VS Dayton Horizon 15 - FINAL

Post by caglewis »

From the Ironton Tribune:
http://www.irontontribune.com/2011/01/1 ... s-horizon/

Horizon 7 2 2 4 = 15

Ironton 28 19 14 18 = 79

DAYTON HORIZON ACADEMY (0-2): Love 0 0 0-0 0, McDonald 0 0 0-0 0, Carter 0 0 2-2 2, Williams 1 0 0-0 2, Brown 2 0 0-0 4, Campbell 0 0 0-0 0, Likely 2 0 0-1 4, Grisby 1 0 0-0 2, Garner 0 0 1-2 1. Totals: 6-38 3-5 15. Fouls: 13. Fouled out: None. 3-point goals: 0-6. Rebounds: 6 offense, 7 defense = 13 (Williams 4). Assists: 3 (Carter 2). Steals: 2. Turnovers: 15.

IRONTON (7-3): Zac Carter 7 0 5-5 19, Josh Glover 2 0 0-0 4, Travis Elliott 6 0 3-4 13, Josh Murphy 1 0 2-2 4, Trey Fletcher 3 1 3-4 12, Nick Culbertson 1 0 0-0 2, Trevor White 6 0 0-0 12, Geoff Delawder 2 0 0-0 4, Tanner Schweickart 0 0 0-0 0, Nolan Johnson 4 0 1-2 9. Totals: 33-60 12-15 79. Fouls: 5. Fouled out: None. 3-point goals: 1-6. Rebounds: 18 offense, 24 defense = 42 (Murphy 12, Elliott 6). Assists: 17 (Carter 7, Elliott 4, Glover 3). Steals: 11 (Carter 3, Elliott 3). Turnovers: 6. Blocked shots: 5 (Fletcher 4).

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Your bench always needs playing time.
This game might have been out of hand but it can help when you need to bring players off the bench.
They are out there playing in front of a crowd and that always helps the subs no matter what.

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

I still don't think this benefited anyone. I mean, Horizon only scored 15 points the entire game. It may have been a better game if the jv played, but most of not all of them don't dress for varsity.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

conehead wrote:Anytime you beat a team by 64 points is rubbing it in. It doesn't matter who scores how much. There is absolutely no point in beating a team by that much, especially one that's only been in existence for two years and is obviously struggling. To me, it's just disrespectful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------i do not get on basketball much. but i strongly oppose this statement. i was on football teams that may have won by 50 plus points. that is not rubbing it in, if your starters are out, and you are playing the remainder of your team. you cannot tell your players to go out and not try to score. as gahs said. though these games are hard to swallow they have to start somewhere. the same in any sport. beatdowns happen. if starters playerd the entire game. then i agree. but that apparently was obviously not the case. but a blanket statement of saying this was rubbing it in, does not always apply.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

and in my opinion, is a classless and worthless post.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

This occurs on a weekely basis in Girls basketball,Bottom line is, if the winning team pulled thier starters after guaranteeing thier win and accomplishing thier learning curve for the game, didnt continue the all out full court press, there really isnt much else you can do.The problem isnt the outcome, the problem is the matchup. It just wasnt a good matchup.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

I don't think having Carter and Fletcher still playing at the end of the 3rd quarter as taking it easy on the other team who is struggling. They shouldn't have played at all the 2nd half. What if one of them had gotten hurt in a game when your subs could have started and played the whole time?

If you know a team is going to be this bad ahead of time why not dress more JV's and some freshmen?

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Ironton did not want this matchup. Ironton agreed to participate in the Beasts of the Southeast with the understanding that it would be playing Piketon. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Lafon could not have been happy about how things turned out, especially since he had arranged very good matchups for Chesapeake the last three years in the Ironton Classic (Huntington WV, Campbell Memorial, Columbus Africentric). I am sure that it wasn't an intentional slight by Chesapeake, probably just an unfortunate but frustrating series of events. Yes, the Tigers won big, but they never pressed, played mostly a 2-3 zone, and almost 50% of the points were scored by substitutes. The Tigers' unique problem is, 5 of their first 7 varsity players are sophomores. The Tigers have two other sophomores who have been injured and have not yet been cleared to play, even though they were dressed and on the bench. So Ironton was left with just a few upperclassmen available to substitute. Ironton's youngsters are, for the most part, its strongest players.

So, as stated by someone else, the problem with this game was the matchup, not the final score (which could have been worse).

That said, I was impressed by the kids who played for Dayton Horizon. They played hard for the entire game, and never lost their composure in what must have been a frustrating experience for them. It would have been insulting to them for Ironton to have just totally laid down. It would also have made a mockery of a high profile and well-attended event that people paid $7 apiece to see, and that received heavy local media coverage. Presumably, people paid to see Ironton's varsity team, not its freshman team. I know I did. So get off Ironton's back and give Dayton Horizon some credit. It's not always whether you win or lose, it is if and how you finish. And Dayton Horizon gets five stars for its players' show of competitive spirit and sportsmanship.

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

This match up Between Piketon and Ironton....couldn't happen because we didn't want to get out the contracts we have....Sound familiar Ironton.....we will soon meet....

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I hope not. You guys are better than us. Ironton is at least a year away with all of its youth and injuries. A regular season matchup would have been a good learning experience for the Tigers, however. Too bad it never materialized.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Where was Morton? or is he taking a two week leave of absence too?

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

wemufans: What was this post in reference to? [quote="wemufans"]Where was Morton? or is he taking a two week leave of absence too?[/quote]

Tiger Lady
SE

Post by Tiger Lady »

86Tiger wrote:wemufans: What was this post in reference to?
wemufans wrote:Where was Morton? or is he taking a two week leave of absence too?
The radio announcer stated that Malcom did not quit the team, but was taking the nite off......

and Tiger86, I think we both know what this poster is referring to.........

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

he only took half the nite off :mrgreen:

Return to “Boys Basketball”