Best Team in your schools Modern History 1970-2011

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Re: Best Team in your schools Modern History 1970-2011

Post by jimmy chipwood »

boomer633 wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:The NA 05 team was good also. Finished 21-2 while the league was very good. Eastern was very good, along with Ripley, Whiteoak, Fairfield was pretty good, West Union had talent but that was about it. The only really bad team was peebles who was like 2-19.

Sam Louden < Nathan Copas by whole alot
Kraig Unger < Dusty Campbell by alot
Tyler Jimison < Kenny Wilmoth by alot
Carter Nehus < Troy Storer by a whole lot
Tyler Rothwell < Jeremy Basford

The 96 team had a much stronger bench too.
#1 agree. Copas was excellent.
#2 I think you have your < backwards. That or you didn't watch Unger play.
#3 Both were very good. Not that much difference.
#4 Agree. Storer was excellent.
#5 Even IMO maybe slight edge to Rothwell who although not as tall was a lot stronger in the post.

Would somewhat agree that the 96 team had a stronger bench.

Im not sure what team you have listed there but it isnt 2005. 2005 did go 22-2 but was lead by Cory Copas and Eric Semple - not the players you have listed.

The team you have listed looks like 2009 - which went 23-1 .

The matchup comparisons would/should look like this.

Nathan Copas over Sam Louden (no contest)
Kraig Unger over Dusty Campbell
Kenny Wilmoth tie Tyler Jimison
Troy Storer over Carter Nehus (no contest)
Jeremy Basford over Tyler Rothwell

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I can't comment on the 90-91 team but the 04 team from webster had every oppertunity to win the State Semi game against Holgate. I can't recall the foul shot stats but I know we sucked it up from the charity stripe. Aldridge got a piece of the buzzer beater that ended it as well. Had we won that, there would be two state banners on the wall. One of the regional games went into triple OT against Worthington Christian I believe. Kyle Caytons hot shooting from 3 kept us in it. The year after that we faced Africentric in the regional finals who defeated us and were later stripped of their title. Josh Campbell hit 4 three's in a row to bring us back but the nubians were too strong. Of course the year after that, the only team who gave us a fit was Lockland in the State Semi's. we had the 3 point lead and the kid from lockland took the same shot from where the kid from Holgate beat us and Aldridge completley stuffed him at the buzzer.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

jimmy chipwood wrote:
boomer633 wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:The NA 05 team was good also. Finished 21-2 while the league was very good. Eastern was very good, along with Ripley, Whiteoak, Fairfield was pretty good, West Union had talent but that was about it. The only really bad team was peebles who was like 2-19.

#5 Even IMO maybe slight edge to Rothwell who although not as tall was a lot stronger in the post.

Im not sure what team you have listed there but it isnt 2005. 2005 did go 22-2 but was lead by Cory Copas and Eric Semple - not the players you have listed.

He was comparing players for the 96 team to the 09 team. I had said in a previous post that the 96 team was the best from NA followed pretty closely by the 09 team.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

jimmy chipwood wrote:
boomer633 wrote:

That is exactly the match-ups i listed? I listed the 2009 team? I was just simply saying the 05 NA team was good also. Although Eastern Brown beat them that year and went 17-6 and played a tougher schedule.(including western brown, georgetown, greenfield mcclain)

and no way tyler jimison and Kenny wilmoth would be a tie. Wilmoth was very underrated.

Truth be known Rothwell actually didn't start. It was the Lathem kid for some reason?

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Federal Hocking Lancers- 1990-1991. Averaged 94 ppg for the season.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Belpre (3 final four appearances) in Div. III

1993- State Runner Up, lost to Campbell Memorial by 8 in state championship, team finished 25-2
1997- Lost in State Semis to Cleveland VASJ by 6, this team was 8-12 in regular season, finished season 14-13
2001- Lost in State Semis to Casstown Miami East in OT by 4 (missed buzzer beater would have sent this team onto playing against Lebron James in the state championship) and this team finished 23-3 i believe

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

gymrat88 wrote:Federal Hocking Lancers- 1990-1991. Averaged 94 ppg for the season.

I would have to see the game results/schedule to believe that!!! I played that year in the D3 Districts at Athens - who did they play in the Districts?

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

jimmy chipwood wrote:
gymrat88 wrote:Federal Hocking Lancers- 1990-1991. Averaged 94 ppg for the season.

I would have to see the game results/schedule to believe that!!! I played that year in the D3 Districts at Athens - who did they play in the Districts?

I would like to see those results myself and know how far this team went.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Grinder wrote:
jimmy chipwood wrote:

I would like to see those results myself and know how far this team went.
What's dissapointing is the fact that the team lost in the Sectional Finals to Belpre, who they had defeated twice already that season. Here is a link that talks some about the team and the tradition of Lancer Basketball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMELg1iuCs

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

gymrat88, some of those scores were pretty impressive 112, 111. Must have been fun watching these games.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

It most definitely was. They weren't the best defensive team you'll ever find, and had their fair share of turnovers, but they were incredible shooters and had a very good press. Belpre was able to beat them in the Sectional Final by stalling the ball and controlling the tempo.

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

As ryanexpress stated many good teams in the 80s and early 90s. The 84 team led by the great coach and even greater person Don Cantrell & state player of the year Mark Cochenour, Tim Hattle and co. made it to the regional finals. Furthest in school history. The 88 team I mention in another thread might have had more talent top to bottom but ran into the Southern Tornadoes in the district. That what makes tourney time so great. On a given night anything can happen!

downtown95
Waterboy

Post by downtown95 »

Fairfield 94-95 and 95-96 were two good teams. District finals in 95 and regional appearance in 96. Pretty much same group of players both years: Nathan Van Winkle, Raymond Friend, Kyle Haines, Tim Bragg. Everett Snyder was the coach. They lost a close one to North Adams at NA in 96 and I think finished second in the league behind NA.

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

I played against that team in the district finals in 96. Van Winkle came out on fire in the 1st quarter. We cut it to 6 or 8 in the late in the 3rd or early 4th but couldnt get any closer. They were a very good team with balance. And Van Winkle was lights out that day.

dennisdrinksbud
Freshman Team

Post by dennisdrinksbud »

Marietta in '03. Had John Farr, a 6'8" senior, Tyler Lough a junior guard, and Ben Howlett as a sophomore. The school scoring record was broken by each of these 3 in 3 consecutive years, but all together they were a pretty solid package deal.

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

2010-2011 Chesapeake Panthers. ;)

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Here is a question. Who is the best team you have ever seen in SEO? I know not all of us are old enough to have seen some of these great teams but just what is the best you have seen. Personally, I have heard great things about the 81 Chillicothe Cavs and the 88 and 78 Portsmouth Trojans but since I didn't see them, I will say that the best teams I have seen are the 08 Chillicothe Cavaliers, and whatever year Ironton lost to NCH at State(05, 06 or 07?).

As for the question posed earlier, 81 Chilli vs. 08 Chilli. As I said, I din't see 81 Chilli but I do have a good grasp on history I think. The 81 team may well have been better but I don't see that 08 team losing by 30 to anyone. They beat a team whose shortest starter was 6'5'', ranked nationally and happenned to have two players who were their conferences freshman player of the year at D1 colleges and one who will most likely be a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Certainly a first rounder. They also beat the D1 state champion (Newark) that year by 11 in a game that I felt they "played down" and beat teams that were at the time #1 in the state (Poland Seminary), #2 in the state (Dayton Dunbar, who I believe was also nationally ranked at the time), and national top 25 Toledo Libbe, as well as state ranked Zanesville twice. Blew a game against Brookhaven that they should have won, beat NCH in Cincinnatti by 14, and put up over 100 on several occasions while playing tough tough defense. BTW, Humpty Hitchens is inch for inch the second best high school basketball player I have ever seen(behind Xavier, and Brookhaven grad Drew Lavender).

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

Larry Bird wrote:As ryanexpress stated many good teams in the 80s and early 90s. The 84 team led by the great coach and even greater person Don Cantrell & state player of the year Mark Cochenour, Tim Hattle and co. made it to the regional finals. Furthest in school history. The 88 team I mention in another thread might have had more talent top to bottom but ran into the Southern Tornadoes in the district. That what makes tourney time so great. On a given night anything can happen!
You can also go back to the early 80's and the teams Neil Leist played on. The 81 team was a District champ, and i believe lost in the Regional on a buzzer beater to State Champ or Runner Up

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

No offense datchili, but I have seen several players far better then Humpty in the state tourny and in SEO.

LeBron obviously, Jarod Williams Lakewood St. Edwards, OJ Mayo NCH, Bill Walker NCH, Dante Jackson McClain, Chris Early HHS, Patrick Patterson HHS, I could go on.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Nelsonville Greyhounds - 1952 Class B State Runner-Up 22-4 (13-1) SEOAL Champions

Somerset Holy Trinity 58 Nelsonville 50
Nelsonville 71 Rutland 38
Nelsonville 54 Gallipolis* 36
Nelsonville 64 Logan* 52
Nelsonville 53 Athens* 44
Nelsonville 58 Middleport* 46
Nelsonville 48 Wellston* 46
Jackson* 52 Nelsonville 45
Chauncey 93 Nelsonville 65
Nelsonville 63 Gallipolis* 52
Nelsonville 93 Pomeroy* 50
Nelsonville 69 Logan* 60
Nelsonville 79 Shade 43
Nelsonville 76 Athens* 66
Nelsonville 65 Middleport* 39
Nelsonville 61 Wellston* 58
Nelsonville 71 Pomeroy* 47
Nelsonville 79 Jackson* 74

Class B District Tournament
Nelsonville 90 Tuppers Plains 71
Nelsonville 70 New Lexington 65
Nelsonville 81 Crooksville 79
Nelsonville 73 Corning 67

Class B Regional Championship
Nelsonville 63 Minford 61

Ohio State Class B Tournament
Big Eight
Nelsonville 59 Gibsonburg 51

Final Four
Nelsonville 45 Waynesburg 43

Ohio State Class B Championship Game
Lockland Wayne 56 Nelsonville 46

When Nelsonville beat Waynesburg in the Final Four, Waynesburg was undefeated and the number one ranked team in the state in Class B.

Return to “Boys Basketball”