District Championship Fairland vs Waverly @The Convo 3/9

FHSstudentsection
Freshman Team

Re: District Championship Fairland vs Waverly @The Convo 3/9

Post by FHSstudentsection »

fhs got a bad seed and are gonna prove that they are best in the division in this game.

53-48 dragons

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

Kretzer is a very good player,Eric Riley is avery good defender,this could be a very good game,both teams play a fast pace,and remember Evan Salyers was in foul trouble most of the warren game.Blaine Fuller is peaking at the right time,good luck DRAGONS,MAKE THE OVC PROUD.

GoCavs
Waterboy

Post by GoCavs »

I am a Chillicothe Cavaliers fan. But I had never seen Jake Kretzer (Waverly) play until last weekend vs. Mclain. He was injured midway through the game but what i seen of him i was impressed. This kid can SHOOT! I mean just in the first half or so that he was in the game I seen him raise up I believe twice and shoot a 3 right in this kids face, NBA type range.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Watched both teams on Thursday night. Fairland seems to have a more balanced team and can probably keep Kretzer somewhat in check. I'll go with the Dragons.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Good Luck Waverly

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

bman wrote:Watched both teams on Thursday night. Fairland seems to have a more balanced team and can probably keep Kretzer somewhat in check. I'll go with the Dragons.

Think I'll go with you bman, if......they can slow down Jake, he has all the skills. 8)

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

ttt

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I think what sets Kretzer apart from other kids that Fairland has seen (including Carter) is his ability to take over a game from multiple positions. I think Carter is a phenominal point guard, and can't wait to see all that he becomes as he is only a junior (which is just amazing). But, Kretzer is a legitimate 6'7" and well over 200lbs. He is strong, fast, can get off the floor and can also shoot it as well as anyone in the SE District regardless of division. I don't doubt that Fairland has the type of TEAM to keep Kretzer from absolutely going off, but that is where the need for an aforementioned second scorer for the Tigers comes in. It's been the key to Waverly all season. I honestly believe (without a doubt) that it takes more than one player to handle Kretzer. The best I've seen anyone defend him in the times I've seen him play was the first Waverly-Wheelersburg game. Dylan Miller did a tremendous job fronting Kretzer and going EVERYWHERE he went, and he also got some of the very best help defense from his teammates that I've seen at the HS level. I believe Kretzer's 16 points that night was his season low, and yet he was still a huge factor in that game as both teams were in the 30's that night (if memory serves me correctly). If Fairland can have that type of night against him defensively, and the Tigers can't get support consistently, then I believe the Dragons will win. I think Fairland certainly has the weapons offensively to put up more than enough points. About two weeks ago, I had a former coach (who was EXTREMELY succesful in his coaching days) tell me that he would compare Kretzer to what Brett Roberts was for South Webster in the late 80's. For those of you who are familiar with your SE Ohio hoops, that compliment should say all you need to know about Kretzer's ability to take over a basketball game. I think that also speaks volumes to how important it is for the Tigers to get scoring from other players. I don't think they have to put anyone else in double figures, but I think the other 5-6 guys in their rotation have to be able to produce 30+ points as a group. The more shots they hit (and trust me, they have a couple of kids who can stroke it), the more difficult it becomes to give help on Kretzer. In a one-on-one match-up, over the course of 32 minutes, I'll take Kretzer to produce more than any individual defender assigned to him. I believe the kid is the absolute best offensive player in the SE District, regardless of division.

Now that I've rambled on praising Kretzer (he deserves every word of it), I think the biggest factor in the game could be Taylor Ward and the rest of the Tigers on the defensive end. Ward is a lockdown defender like the kid from Fairland and his play on the defensive end could be huge in this game. As I mentioned above, I think the Dragons are very capable of scoring with Kretzer and his supporting cast, possession for possession. In order for the Tigers to knock off the Dragons, Ward and company are going to have to get it done defensively.

I think this is going to be a great game and I honestly think it's a 50-50 split that could go either way. As an SOC guy, I'll be rooting for the Tigers. But, I have absolute respect for the Dragons and the excellent team they bring to the floor!

TigerMan
Waterboy

Post by TigerMan »

All Waverly has to do is play the zone defense and they win. Fairland cannot play against the zone.

TigerMan
Waterboy

Post by TigerMan »

All I can say is, if you think Kretzer is better than Carter. I think you better wake up Alice cause you are dreaming.... :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Tigers By 4 Wav City parties hard friday night

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

TIGERFOOL,

I think he's different, not necessarily better. It's pointless to say which is better, given that they are completely different players with much different skill sets.

d2dragon
Riding the Bench

Post by d2dragon »

My guess is Kretzer 16 points Fairland wins by 7

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Pulling for fellow SOC member Waverly. The Tigers have to play a full 32 minutes and make free throws.

todmc
Waterboy

Post by todmc »

1 player is not going to beat fairlands 5

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

I agree with Jessco. Kretzer and Ward. That offense defense combo works wonders. Unless....The crew of Willie, Cheatem, & Howell show up. Then its up to who survives the laundry tug o war. Kretzer moves well without the ball. He also is a little older than French and has a better idea of how to move to shrug off a defender even if there is no pick he can make one. I would like to see French to develope into that type of player. I know Fairland has talent. I respect a team that can play by the rules without the hooking, reaching, and grabbing. The Warren vs Waverly game was early on in the season. I know Fairland could have just as easily lost to Warren. They let Warren back in the game three times. If Fairland were as good as some would like to believe they would have blown Warren out by 20. The game would have been over at the half. It wasnt. If Waverly stays out of foul trouble, Starts in zone, presses like they do It could be a Tiger victory. If you want let Kretzer bring the ball up court a few times. Fairlands guards like the tap and slap steal. Kretzer has enough height advantage that he can protect the ball with his back hip and expose the foul on the reach. His stride could also trip up a small guard. I look for Fairlands # 30 to play a low agressive D and Maddox to help him out on the steal when hes on help side.

B-dawg79
Freshman Team

Post by B-dawg79 »

TIGERFOOL wrote:All I can say is, if you think Kretzer is better than Carter. I think you better wake up Alice cause you are dreaming.... :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9
one thing i can guarantee you is that if carter was on waver
lys team and not kretzer waverly would not be be in the district tournament having kretzer on the team creates shots for the other players and i can bet that anyone would pick kretzer over carter any day

TigerMan
Waterboy

Post by TigerMan »

todmc wrote:1 player is not going to beat fairlands 5
I dont know about that. Irontons one player beat Fairlands 5 and could do it again!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Riley may be a great defender, but he is giving up 7-8" to Kretzer? The way Kretzer shoots with good elevation and a very high release will make it very difficult for someone that much smaller to defend him. "IF" he is able to give Kretzer trouble outside, he will just post him up and use his size and strength to his advantage inside.

Waverly by 10, Kretzer scores 28!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Fairland knows they have to slow down Kretzer. Fairfield Union tried everything they could and he still went off for 30. The key to Waverly is going to be the play of everyone else. If the guards are hitting 3's and Ward & Corcoran are banging the boards it could be that much tougher to slow down Jake.

Return to “Boys Basketball”