2012-2013 Pioneer Valley Conference-way to early outlook

redskinwitness
Varsity

2012-2013 Pioneer Valley Conference-way to early outlook

Post by redskinwitness »

I know hoops season just ended @ the Schott last weekend but being such a fan of high school hoops I can't stand to see it end. I know it is way, way to early for this but just wanted to get a peek at what each of the league schools will likely put on the floor next winter. My son is a rising sophomore and should see his first extended varsity action for the Redskins next winter which has me even more wired for round ball to come back around. I understand that kids develop physically, mentally and in skill over the next several months an anything can happen....with that said, here is the earliest look at hoops in our neck of the woods next winter:

1. River Pilots-They challenged for the league title this winter an were all juniors. They should be the hands on favorite to win the title next winter and with Hiland/Rosecrans/Malvern losing a lot to graduation they could make a run to the regional. They return:
Sr guard Brett Price-should challenge Smith for player of the year
Sr guard Marconi- good role playing guard
Sr guard Caldwell- terrific shooter, should only get better
Sr forward Eggleston- banger, role player, big body
Sr forward Indermuhle- best post in the league, big body should have a big year
Sr guard Isley- did a nice job off the bench for them last winter

2. Fort Frye-They lose a few really important pieces but they always reload. They won't be deep but they will be quality and are the best coached team in the league. They return:
Sr guard Shon Smith- returning player of the year, will only get better. I can see 25 a night from him this winter.
Sr guard Anderson- another program role player who will contribute
Jr guard Chandler Lang- great defender, will be more of an offensive threat this winter
Sr forward Duskey- good role player who will defend
So forward LaGrean-great athlete, will give them much needed size and aggression

3. Trail- they lose the two big boys in the pivot but they return three guards with loads of experience. I don't think they are very well coached but they have talent and can beat any team in this league on a given night. They return:
Sr guard Zack Roe-good athlete, not a great shooter but a nice slasher
Sr guard C.J. Bever-best player, good scorer, shooter, should have a big season
Jr guard Tyler Starr- pure shooter, didn't seem to really improve his all-around game that much last winter. Nice player though.
Sr guard Lane Starr- good athlete, will improve
So forward Toland- tall an athletic, will improve
Jr guard Gray- coaches son, will contribute

4. Shenandoah-I think they will really miss the beef they had in the post and the toughness of the Leasure kid. I also think people will start to see that Coach Sweiterman being gone will begin to shine through, they won a lot of games last year with kids he developed. After the fast start they really fell off and struggled down the stretch. They won't have much if any depth unless someone really develops. They return:
Sr point Danny Neuhart- heady, quality point guard. IMO, he was their best/most consistent player this winter
Sr guard Eli Hurst- quality athlete, scorer. He is a volume shooter and can shoot them in and out of games at times
Sr guard Brett Bond- nice shooter, played J.V. ball this past winter
Sr guard Brandon Farnsworth- decent shooter, played more toward the end of the year.
Sr forward James Luyster- big body, didn't play a lot but the league doesn't have much size and will be important.

5. Caldwell- I am really excited for next winter for our boys. We have a coach who has shown he can develop players (wiechman) and he really pushes them in the off-season, I can't imagine any other team in our league does more than they do April-July . That said, we will be likely the youngest team in the state of Ohio. They have a lot of skill but they have a ton of work to do. I expect this team to improve all year and be dangerous in the tournament. They return:
Jr point guard Jonathon Wiechman- really developed over the course of the season. Put up huge numbers down the stretch and made honorable mention all-Ohio.
So guard Tanner Harding- he is a pure shooter with skills. Has to grow and get stronger which I think he will.
Fr guard Tanner Clark-kid is a player. Strong and athletic I expect him to really contribute right away. Coach likes to leave these young kids down to develop but I don't see that with this one.
So guard Justin Figel- very skilled kid with some size. Has to develop physically. He seemed to really get it the last part of the season.
So forward Tanner Baker- big, naturally strong kid who will benefit from an off-season in the weight room. Has nice skill for a big kid
Jr guard John Carpenter- only started playing ball last year, he has improved a ton. Has skills and is a terrific athlete who is learning the game
Fr guard Caleb Heller- nice, smooth player. I think he will help out off the bench next year as well.
So forward Daniel Leasure- was the only freshmen who seemed to regress (injury) in the second half of the season. Needs to improve to contribute
Sr guard Tyler Willey- he is the only senior, good kid who will play hard. Not skilled, probably hard for him to get on the court

6. Central- depends on who the new coach is. They always have strong, athletic kids. Could be better then expected.They return:
Sr guard Lafferre- nice player
jr forward Nixon-good athlete and player, can't shoot though
Sr guard Jorris
So guard Brown-good athlete, not much size
So guard Jorris-nice, smooth shooter

7. Frontier- Roger is a great guy but he just doesn't have much to work with. I think they will be a little better then last season but not a lot. They return:
Sr forward Jordan Jefferson- nice athlete
Sr guard Eddy
Sr guard Salazar
Jr forward Snider
Sr forward Merkle
Heard they might move a few freshmen up, saw them play last year, a few athletes but not great players.

*I think River/Fort are pretty well locked at the top. I think the 3-6 teams could finish higher or lower depending. I think Frontier is locked in the bottom slot for a third straight season.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2012-2013 Pioneer Valley Conference-way to early outlook

Post by EasternDspy »

River will be good and closer to FF then last season but FF is still the favorite come on the JV was suppose to be down and went 15-4. FF has won the league 9 out of 11 years has the leagues best player and coach.Chandler Lang will blossom into a good scorer and will be in 15 ppg range.SR Caden Brooker will be a glue guy has started over 10 games in his career.SO Seth Legrean will be key to the Cadets needs to get stronger.Anderson will be the 5th starter and is a very good shooter gets nervous easy.Bench Sr Tyler Norris,Sr Kyle Hesson, So Brooker,SO Madison and Jr Shuster

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

I agree they will be quality and will have the best returning player but they are replacing three of their top four scorers. River took them to ot and loses nobody. If anyone is the favorite it is the Pilots but I would imagine Fort will get them once next year and do very well.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

On a side note River football will be fantastic.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

FF lost Scwendeman 10 ppg ,and Eddy 15 ppg and bench players Spindler and Dusky.I just think Lang and Smith will step up.

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

Wow, it's WAY too early to look at next year, but i'd say until Fort Frye is knocked from its perch it'll be the Cadets' crown until someone takes it from them. River would be a strong challenger no doubt.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Agree with the statement that the league is fort fryes to lose until someone knocks them off. With that said though, I see a very real chance that that happens this coming season. Barring injuries, the pilots should be primed to claim a PVC title for themselves. With everything they have returning, plus any newcomers, it's tough to go against that.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

River will be very good and probably split with FF.Its Dans last year and Smith is the kinda kid thatkeeps getting better.I really don't see FF much worse then 16-6.

journeyman8675309
Riding the Bench

Post by journeyman8675309 »

Redskin
Who is your son that will be a Soph for Caldwell and will Coach Crane have any new coaches? I think it will be very exciting year to for all basketball fans!

3 for me
Riding the Bench

Post by 3 for me »

pilotfan1 wrote:Monroe will be coached by Scooter Tolzda.

Soo, will his son be taking over the bealsville job?

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Who else would take it over? Surprised he is leaving Beallsville, has a few nice players back next year.
Journeyman, I haven't talked to coach much since season ended. The info that I have gotten is through someone on his staff and my son. I know they will be busy through out the off-season, just have to get all of the kids off their butts.

Return to “Boys Basketball”