Top players in the PVC

chickem hawk 38
Riding the Bench

Re: Top players in the PVC

Post by chickem hawk 38 »

nobody is calling out smith, we all know he is arguably the best player in the PVC alll i'm sayin is imo i think price may be a little better. last year was his first year on the floor alot. i think the experience will help cant wait to see river vs ff matchup

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Well Smith was 2nd team All-state so let's see if both these 2 are on all-state lever.

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

Right now I'll have to go with Smith in this debate..opinion subject to change though.

chickem hawk 38
Riding the Bench

he was 3rd team all-state and price was special mention

J8fusl
Freshman Team

Post by J8fusl »

I only watch FF games and that puts lang on all the best players... that being said, price is the only one that looked top tier. But he only scored well the first game. He was used as a shooter and shot really well. the second game they used him in more of a one on one setting and he had trouble getting open looks. where as wiechman didnt score well in either game against FF. the first game 12 i think and 6 the second. didnt watch the trail games. frontier ran stall ball. shenandoah scored by committee. monroe only watched the game at ff and MC just looked awful.

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

Monroe Central will have a couple very athletic kids, in Lafferre and Nixon, but I don't know where that puts them in the top players in the PVC list.
MC might just surprise some people this winter.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

I liked Lafferre last winter and Nixon is very athletic. Nixon struggles with the skill aspect though. Central does have a nice core of young athletes coming in. Was told they got it put on them by West Muskingum in a shoot out recently. Not sure if West is supposed to be very good, Caldwell scrimmaged them this morning and beat them by double figures over 5 or 6 quarters. They did have one really nice player though.

PvcBball
Freshman Team

Post by PvcBball »

Was at that shootout, MC didnt have Lafferre or Nixon that game and was only playing with 5 the whole day. Still no excuse though. However, I did see MC against St C, granted St C won but MC was winning at halftime and only ended up losing by a handful. I hear MC's one of the better teams down in the St Clairsville summer league.

redskinpride
Riding the Bench

Post by redskinpride »

Central lossing Baker and Ring takes away the only outside threat they had. Laffrie is a nice driving guard gets into the paint well and can score but not much of a jummper. Frontier has Jefferson who is very athletic but not really a basketball player,other than that they dont have much. Shenandoah returns some talent at the guard positions with Neuhart,Hurst,Farnsworth but with the loss of Crum,Davis, and Thompson they have no experenced bigs, also Hurst shoots the ball about 20 times a game and when he is off its pretty bad and he wont have Leasure there to pick up his slack. I also heard that SHSs lone returing big isnt comming out the coach should change that or it could be a long season for the zeps. Fort Frye returns Smith but he will have to average 30 ppg if the cadets have a chance of winning the pvc. I think it will come down to River and Buckeye Trail, With Caldwell being the dark horse. Caldwell reaturns Weichman who i believe is the best point guard in the pvc he can shoot ,drive, and dish. They have Harding who is another shooter, they also have Carpenter who is tough and a good defender and Baker who is a 6"3 big. then Trail who losses no one but the red head and big goofy guy. They have Roe,Starr,Starr,Beaver who can all shoot the ball they will b dangerious. But i think River will have the PVC they return everyone Caldwell,Price,Fuzzy, and Marconey they will b very tough to beat with Price at the helm

J8fusl
Freshman Team

Post by J8fusl »

you just put caldwell over fort frye... your remarks are hereby disreguarded.

PVC MAN
JV Team

Re:

Post by PVC MAN »

Looks like redskin has gotten into the 4th of July koolaid a little early.There's no way caldwellfinishes better than 5th in the league.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Are you dumb just because Lang dident score 20 ppg this season doesn't mean he ain't a great player.Fort Frye will not be down at all.If anything they will be better with Legrean and Jordan Anderson being big time players.FF played into finals of shootouts without Smith.So you better check yourself.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

River and Fort Frye will battle it out at the top this year. River returns all an in my opinion is the slight favorite but Fort will be solid as well. Plain and simple outside of Smith and Lang Fort isn't very talented, Lagrean is average and the others aren't skilled. They are super well coached and know the system and each other. After this year they will be average for a bit. This year they will compete for the top spot because Smith is that good.

As for Buckeye Trail, they are going to miss their big kids. Having watched their three nice guards over the past few years one thing you can say is they haven't improved much. I just don't think they are very well coached at all. I think you will see how important the two big kids were last year. They will mix it up with the Zeps, Caldwell, and Central for the third spot.

As for Shenandoah, they are going to disappoint this year based on what they return. They have a really good point in Nuehart, an athletic wing in Hurst (who shoots way to much), a few nice role players with Bond and Farnsworth. I watched them play our Caldwell boys in a shoot out, they had everyone and Caldwell was missing a starter and Caldwell beat them by double figures. I would say there will be games the Hurst/Nuehart shoot them to victories but there will also be games that Hurst shoots them to losses. I really think you will see them in 5th or 6th place by the end of next winter.

Monroe Central will be better coached with Scooter and I expect them to be improved. They have good athletes in Laffere, Brown, Nixon, Jorris and will be competitive. They aren't overly big or skilled and don't have many shooters. I think they can finish as high as 3rd or as low as 6th.

Frontier will be about the same. Jefferson is a nice athlete but an average player. He would be a really nice role player on a good team but for this team he has to be the man. They return most of the team but I don't really see them getting much better and think it is a third straight year at the bottom of the league for the Cougars.

Caldwell is the team I obviously know the most about, my son plays for them. I saw how much time they put in over the course of the spring and summer and how they came together. They play hard, are very well coached and have a 7 man rotation that can all shoot the three ball. They will be young and will lose some games they should win but they will win some games they should lose too. The rotation will include two juniors, four sophomores, and a few freshmen. They will only get better as the season goes on. I watched them go 8-2 in a summer league that included Sheridan, New Lex, Rosecrans, West M, an alumni team and a decent Millersport team among others. They are much, much better then they were last winter. They just have more skill. I expect them to compete for the third spot with Trail/Central/Shenandoah. I really think they will surprise some people this winter. For my money, with Liedke gone, they are the best coached team in the league.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Yea you're right FF has no talent at the lower levels.If they are so bad how di the JV go 14-4 beating the utltra talented Caldwell team twice????Blah blah blah Fort Frye has the best freshman class.Also roll players like Brooker,Norris,and Jordan Anderson are a lot better then you think they just get oushined by the Langs and Shon Smiths of the team.They played great this summer without Smith most of the time.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

JV means nothing, how many juniors and sophomores did the Fort play on last years reserve team? We played only freshmen and they got better all year. They have developed, much more upside then the older kids, more time to get better. Kids like Harding who played out of position on the point last year are now sliding in to roles with a few of the older kids which will allow them to do what they are good at. They are better for last years experience. Fort's incoming freshmen class is not as good as Caldwell or Rivers and possibly not even Frontiers. Nice group in the league. Caldwell has the best rising sophomore class by far too. Smith/Lang are really good basketball players for the Fort, the rest are really good role players. They know a system and they play well with each other. Next year, at the varsity level they will compete but will no be anywhere close to what they will be this year and the past few. It happens.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

You keeping telling yourself there is going to be some drop off at FF there won't be.The incoming freshman at FF went 15-0 in 7th grade and lost in championship in 8th grade.I think they went 4-0 vs Frontier.Players like Legrean and Anderson will get better and improved by playing with Smith and Lang.FF had 2 Jrs on the JV team last year.Those 2 Norris and Hesson will help add depth.FF starts earlier then all other programs and it shows.You can't tell me the only reason the program is succuessful is because "Players know the program".These kids just have out worked all other programs the last 12 years claiming 9 of last 12 championships.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

You are right, they work hard. They have an established program that has been in place for 30 some odd years. There is new leadership and they will be very good this year and competitive next but there is a reason Liedtke finally decided to get out. The talent simply is not the same. Your incoming freshmen didn't play half of the P.V.C. they play teams like Waterford among others. So that isn't a real comparison. The fact of the matter is you had a great, great coach who has done more then most would imagine with the talent pool available to him. He was spectacular and like it or not, in the next few seasons you will see a difference in the discipline and the way the program performs. It will all shake out on the court the next few years and you will see it from your standard front row seat. Enjoy this year because Fort won't win another league title for at least the next three years after this one, assuming they can upset River this winter.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

River has beat FF what once ever???You know nothing about the FF program if you think Dan left because of talent you know nothing about the program.He has been wanting to leave for years and finally has the erfect guy to replace him.BTW the league FF plays againest in JR would run circles onCaldwell and they're oppenents like churchtown.FF has 2 great JR high programs that have played great againest big schools like Marietta and Warren.Fort Frye has 2 down years class of 14-15 but 16-17 will carry them here soon.What has Caldwell did but be over hyped?They have one good class 15 and you're ready to give them state championships.Fort Frye has one of best programs in #3 Eastern District.If ya want respect earn it.I am not going to let you get on here and straight ake stuff up.Both FF jr high teams are loaded if the kids stick with it.Including back to back Jr high 7th grade Washington County titles.FF was down in JV yet they won the JV crown going 15-4 yea there terrible.Get real your stacked freshman class couldent even beat are JV team with 3 freshman 2 So and 2 Jrs.

chickem hawk 38
Riding the Bench

nobody cares what has happened who cares if river has only beat you once, its all about this year. river was all juniors they had 2 guys play varsity before last year in indermuhle, and price. price very little is sophmore season because river had 6 seniors. caldwell, marconi, isaly all those kids played JV until there junior year. they were very young and went on to a 16-7 record and lost to the state champs of D4. early in the season last year FF beat them by 13 at FF, the game at home we took you to the wire and zach eddy couldnt miss. well now eddy is gone i just think that your gonna see a differnt team this year, an experienced team that now knows a little bit about varsity bball, we also IMO have the best player in the PVC in price.
Lets Go Pilots!!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Price ain't Shon Smith you obviously did not watch Smith vs Magnolia.Fort Frye worked them a team that beat River twice.Shon Smith and Chan Lang will step up and have great seasons.It will be a great matchup and could go either way.I just hate the terms paper champs to be the best ya gotta beat the best and River has not done anything in PVC basketball be dibbed favorites.Its cool every year someone comes on here and claims there team is the best in the PVC yet FF has won the league in98-99,99-00,02-03,03-04,05-06,06-07,07-08,08-09,10-11,and 11-12.

Return to “Boys Basketball”