Athens DII DISTRICT

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens DII DISTRICT

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:I don't think there is one single lock to advance in this sectional....Chilly looks to be the #8/#9.....Fairland may get the whether they deserve it or not.

Right now IMO WCH deserves it but they have the league affiliation advantage...the #1 will get a Logan Elm and the #2 will get a Vinton Co type....about the same but the #1 will get Athens if everything prevails and avoid Warren.

If I'm a coach and I'm pretty comfortable facing Chillicothe....gotta fight for the #1, but Chilly is dangerous. Taking the #2 and getting GM is no sure shot. It will be interesting.
I also think WCH deserves it, but we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks. They still have to play Clinton MAssie at least once before the draw.

But, Waverly and Circleville both appear to be playing very well at this point, so I agree about the no locks to get out. Hillsboro's style can help them pull an upset and Greenfield is Greenfield.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I remember this same conversation was going on last year and we ended up with 7th seeded Athens vs No. 6 seed Circleville (two sub .500 teams) in the district semi-finals ... we also had no. 6 seed Fairfield Union in the other semi-final - and then No. 4 seed Fairland reach the district fials ...

:)

BTW ... if you wanna get a good look at one of the teams that might be at the Convo for the DII regionals - they play at 3:15 on STO ... St. Clairsville vs St. Ignatius.

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

I have personal reasons to watch that Ignatius-Clairsville game today on STO hahaha. Go Wildcats. Will be interesting because Ignatius is without their star center. Will be interesting where Clairsville goes as to which athens district they face. They are the best team in the region, but who knows.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

The more I look at these brackets the more clearly I can see a Warren/Athens REMATCH in the Regional-Semi. Anything can happen of course and often does during tournament play but the excitement and atmosphere that such a matchup would bring would be fantastic. Of course probably waiting will be St Clairsville to "smap" the winner back to reality. They stand at the gate barring the way to a possible state tournament appearance.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Its impossbile for Athens/Warren (or any two southeast district teams) to meet in a regional semi-final WarriorBlue ... the two district winners from Athens must beat the two District winners from the east district first - which would make an Athens/Warren rematch - or whoever makes it from the southeast - a regional final.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:Its impossbile for Athens/Warren (or any two southeast district teams) to meet in a regional semi-final WarriorBlue ... the two district winners from Athens must beat the two District winners from the east district first - which would make an Athens/Warren rematch - or whoever makes it from the southeast - a regional final.
Not what OHSAA says........

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/bk/boys/201 ... etsDII.pdf

The Athens Regional winner plays the Canton winner in the State Semi

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

For some reason that link won't open up for me ... but I have never known the two southeast district winners to play each other in the REGIONAL SEMI-FINALS ... they almost always take on winners from the other two districts first - then if they happen to win - they would meet in the REGIONAL FINALS.

Last year Chillicothe played St. Clairsville in one regional semi-final ... and Waverly played New Philly.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

A few years back Vinton County played Chillicothe in a regional semi-final.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Yea Eastern District does not play southeast until regional final. It's a good thing because St Clairsville is legit.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

EasternDspy wrote:Yea Eastern District does not play southeast until regional final. It's a good thing because St Clairsville is legit.
thanks for the info ... I can't get my Adobe to open up some files for some reason - all I have access to is last years statewide brackets.

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

Monteroso is a beast, but St. C is not very big. Ignatius in their third game in three days will have a HUGE size advantage.

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

Also, a lot of football recruits in this game. Monteroso to BC and Kyle Berger for Ignatius is getting offers as a junior from just about everywhere you can think of.

MSL_Fan
Waterboy

Post by MSL_Fan »

Updated Southeastern Sectional records with two weeks left before the draw....

Fairland 13-4
Washington CH 12-4
Miami Trace 11-5
Unioto 9-6
Circleville 7-9
Hillsboro 6-10
Waverly 6-10
McClain 5-12
Chillicothe 3-12
Jackson 0-14

Still could see a lot of potential movement based on the next 3-4 games for each team....

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

Iggy25 wrote:Also, a lot of football recruits in this game. Monteroso to BC and Kyle Berger for Ignatius is getting offers as a junior from just about everywhere you can think of.
monterosa will sign with purdue

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

St C beat Upper Arlington a team that smashed Warren.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly beat Washington Court House

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

And Ft Frye is better now than they were earlier in the year....the bad loss for Warrior was one that needed to happen when it did....

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

•••• UPDATE••••

Athens DII DISTRICT

Logan Sectional

Warren 15-1
Athens 14-2
Vinton Co 13-3
Logan Elm 13-6
Sheridan 11-4
Fairfield Union 9-8
Gallia Academy 7-11
New Lexington 7-12
Marietta 6-10

Southeastern Sectional

Fairland 13-4
Washington CH 13-5
Miami Trace 12-6
Unioto 10-7
Circleville 7-11
McClain 7-12
Waverly 6-12
Hillsboro 6-12
Chillicothe 6-12
Jackson 1-16

I think Vinton Co has the inside track to the #3 at Logan even with the early loss to Logan Elm.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Vinton County also played LE without Jordan Kidd, which makes a huge difference for VC when he is not in the line-up.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

On the Southeastern side If I were a top seeded team I'd rather not play Chillocothe. Maybe being a Warren fan has left me somewhat "snakebit" but they seem to be playing much better of late and I believe they have the best player in the district in Johnson. When you have that kinda talent on the floor and other kids "buying in" after a whole season to work out the kinks they will be scary. Ghost of seasons past tell me I'd just as soon see them get that 8/9 game and stay on the Athens side of the bracket. That put Fairland, Athens and Chillocothe all together.

http://www.seodab.org/winter-sports/boys-basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”