River Valley Coaching Search

MSL_Fan
Waterboy

Re: River Valley Coaching Search

Post by MSL_Fan »

Heard that Hill interviewed for the job at Circleville?

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

BlizzardMan wrote:
kidsarewhatmatters wrote:Wow I haven't been on in a while and so many posts to respond 2!

Prep Expert- Hill didn't "start" a youth program at RV. He attempted to take over a youth program that had been running for 30 years and hurt it greatly. By alienating many people who gave their time and support to the kids of the community he used his Hitler attitude to push them away.

Defensivewins- I like some of the ideas you have about the community but I'm not sure you understand what you are up against at rv in regards to an administartion who absolutely despises sports and parents that are difficult to deal with at times. I wish you luck but some people might say you should start by having thick skin and staying off Preps?

Bevo- oh bevo, bevo.... Today you are a River Valley fan and tomorrow GA and the next day whoever suits you. What a flip flopper.... And you said "talented classes" you do realize that rv has suffered from numerous talented kids coming from jr high into high school and either leaving or not playing due to the previous staff right? Look at the kids that walk the halls at rv and DONT play basketball or sports in general, its sad. Athletic teams should be a source of pride at any school. The fact is that hill just didn't care who played and refused to try to keep/get players to come out. ...... How'd that attitude work out for him?

So here are my thoughts.

1. Biddy league was never a problem until Hill came but now rv will need someone who cares to rebuild it

2. Junior high was never a problem (reference OVC championships in recent years)

3. Somebody mentioned Howell, he's not going anywhere, why in the world would he leave for this mess? plus SG is going to be good the next few years

4. Why have we not heard Nances name more? He is an in house guy that has had success as far as win % and they kids absolutely adore him as do many of the parents!
Great post. Except I don't put as much of a responsibility of this mess on Jordan as you do, but I agree it's a mess. Also, how valuable can these so called "players" be if they haven't played since junior High? Finally, the absolute best point in your post is about Coach Nance. This guy has gotten shafted so many times. He should be asked to take this program over. I had the pleasure of playing for him. He has to be the best option. I just don't understand it. His ability to not only coach, but deal with attitudes and kids in general is unbelievable. He is also a great volleyball coach and already got the shaft for that. It's time he gets a chance. He is the ONLY consistent winner as a basketball coach RV has. Why go outside when you've got an already respected guy on the inside?
i don't put the blame on jordan hill i think he had pretty good knowledge of the game, but he was handicapped with horroible assistants his first couple years, the jv was just laughable as was the varsity assistant. they were more into worrying about their own kids or starting drama than coaching basketball which the knowledge just wasn't there.
the hill kid was a good person and i think cared about his players maybe too much they always looked disciplined at the games i saw them. his teams wree for the most part 80% bad ball players with no work ethic just like most kids in gallia county in general gallia academy included.i think both programs could be improved greatly but it is going to take the right person to do it.mr nance is a great guy he lacks enough bare knowledge to coach at the high school level, coaches in either league that rv will play in would have a field day with him.
the buddy league in this county is and has alays been a joke back to the days skidmore kicked south gallia out of it for his own personal reasons. the whole problem in gallia county is people in general not supporting programs they would rather bash them

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

I can't believe I'm doing this but I actually agree with almost everything Bevo just posted.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

So who are the leading candidates?

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

Bevo wrote:
BlizzardMan wrote:
kidsarewhatmatters wrote:Wow I haven't been on in a while and so many posts to respond 2!

Prep Expert- Hill didn't "start" a youth program at RV. He attempted to take over a youth program that had been running for 30 years and hurt it greatly. By alienating many people who gave their time and support to the kids of the community he used his Hitler attitude to push them away.

Defensivewins- I like some of the ideas you have about the community but I'm not sure you understand what you are up against at rv in regards to an administartion who absolutely despises sports and parents that are difficult to deal with at times. I wish you luck but some people might say you should start by having thick skin and staying off Preps?

Bevo- oh bevo, bevo.... Today you are a River Valley fan and tomorrow GA and the next day whoever suits you. What a flip flopper.... And you said "talented classes" you do realize that rv has suffered from numerous talented kids coming from jr high into high school and either leaving or not playing due to the previous staff right? Look at the kids that walk the halls at rv and DONT play basketball or sports in general, its sad. Athletic teams should be a source of pride at any school. The fact is that hill just didn't care who played and refused to try to keep/get players to come out. ...... How'd that attitude work out for him?

So here are my thoughts.

1. Biddy league was never a problem until Hill came but now rv will need someone who cares to rebuild it

2. Junior high was never a problem (reference OVC championships in recent years)

3. Somebody mentioned Howell, he's not going anywhere, why in the world would he leave for this mess? plus SG is going to be good the next few years

4. Why have we not heard Nances name more? He is an in house guy that has had success as far as win % and they kids absolutely adore him as do many of the parents!
Great post. Except I don't put as much of a responsibility of this mess on Jordan as you do, but I agree it's a mess. Also, how valuable can these so called "players" be if they haven't played since junior High? Finally, the absolute best point in your post is about Coach Nance. This guy has gotten shafted so many times. He should be asked to take this program over. I had the pleasure of playing for him. He has to be the best option. I just don't understand it. His ability to not only coach, but deal with attitudes and kids in general is unbelievable. He is also a great volleyball coach and already got the shaft for that. It's time he gets a chance. He is the ONLY consistent winner as a basketball coach RV has. Why go outside when you've got an already respected guy on the inside?
i don't put the blame on jordan hill i think he had pretty good knowledge of the game, but he was handicapped with horroible assistants his first couple years, the jv was just laughable as was the varsity assistant. they were more into worrying about their own kids or starting drama than coaching basketball which the knowledge just wasn't there.
the hill kid was a good person and i think cared about his players maybe too much they always looked disciplined at the games i saw them. his teams wree for the most part 80% bad ball players with no work ethic just like most kids in gallia county in general gallia academy included.i think both programs could be improved greatly but it is going to take the right person to do it.mr nance is a great guy he lacks enough bare knowledge to coach at the high school level, coaches in either league that rv will play in would have a field day with him.
the buddy league in this county is and has alays been a joke back to the days skidmore kicked south gallia out of it for his own personal reasons. the whole problem in gallia county is people in general not supporting programs they would rather bash them

OK time to dissect your evaluation just as I did johnny ringos....... Let's look at RVs records through the years with the full staff info shall we? ! We will go backwards in time!

2012-13, 3-20 Head Coach-Hill, Varsity Asst-Stephens/Graham, JV-Golden, Fresh-Flint
2011-12, 5-16 Head Coach-Hill, VA-Graham, JV-Golden, Fresh-Golden
2010-11, 9-12 Head Coach-Hill, VA-Tackett, JV-Tackett, Fresh-Graham
2009-10, 7-14 Head Coach Stout(1 game) Hill(20 games), VA-Hill, JV-Tackett, Fresh-Graham
2008-09, 5-16 Head Coach Stout, VA-Hill, JV-Stephens, Fresh-Tackett
Total record= W-29 L-78

So out of curiosity please tell us EXACTLY who those "horroible assistants" were, as you so eloquently put it? Sounds like you are giving the head coach all the credit when they won and placing all the blame on assistants when they lost! Everybody please take a minute to digest those names and the records for each given year..... I would like to add that if Hill thought the assistants were so bad that it is up to him to build his staff.

We could travel furthur back in time if you like and go through the previous regimes drama as well but I thought I would refrain for now! LOL

So it appears that Bevo and Ringo have finally been proven as complete idiots once and for all. LOL

Ultimately it is the kidsarewhatmatters most........

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Hmmmm!!! That's odd the same name keeps appearing as the program keeps dwindling! Hmmm! 3-20 I'm not sure but I think 3-20 is the worst in rv history. Remember they never interview the players asst. When they win or when they lose regardless of people's opinions head coaches are solely responsible for their entire program. Good or bad knowledge or not good players or bad the responsibility lies with the head man. That's why they call it a coaching carousel!

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

Having Tackett and Skidmore involved with the program were mistakes by Hill. Those 2 have been bad for Gallia county basketball for a long time. Both were clueless on how to develop youth programs. Tackett was a terrible youth league coach so he was in way over his head as a high school coach. I dont think he won a game as the freshmen and jv coach. I do think hill had a pretty decent staff his last couple of years, but there is just no talent.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

More banter, bickering, and arguing about the past seasons rather than legit speculation about who are the leading candidates for the job this year. Does anyone have any legit information?

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

OK time to dissect your evaluation just as I did johnny ringos....... Let's look at RVs records through the years with the full staff info shall we? ! We will go backwards in time!

2012-13, 3-20 Head Coach-Hill, Varsity Asst-Stephens/Graham, JV-Golden, Fresh-Flint
2011-12, 5-16 Head Coach-Hill, VA-Graham, JV-Golden, Fresh-Golden
2010-11, 9-12 Head Coach-Hill, VA-Tackett, JV-Tackett, Fresh-Graham
2009-10, 7-14 Head Coach Stout(1 game) Hill(20 games), VA-Hill, JV-Tackett, Fresh-Graham
2008-09, 5-16 Head Coach Stout, VA-Hill, JV-Stephens, Fresh-Tackett
Total record= W-29 L-78

So out of curiosity please tell us EXACTLY who those "horroible assistants" were, as you so eloquently put it? Sounds like you are giving the head coach all the credit when they won and placing all the blame on assistants when they lost! Everybody please take a minute to digest those names and the records for each given year..... I would like to add that if Hill thought the assistants were so bad that it is up to him to build his staff.

We could travel furthur back in time if you like and go through the previous regimes drama as well but I thought I would refrain for now! LOL

So it appears that Bevo and Ringo have finally been proven as complete idiots once and for all. LOL

Ultimately it is the kidsarewhatmatters most.......

your numbers are wrong in stouts first year they won 7 games lost 14, tacket and his great basketball knowledge was 3-44 in his tenure as what ever he coached, expert you are right about those 2 not having a clue and doing danger to the program. golden did a good job
graham ran off more kids and pushed people away from the program with his personality

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Prep Expert wrote:Having Tackett and Skidmore involved with the program were mistakes by Hill. Those 2 have been bad for Gallia county basketball for a long time. Both were clueless on how to develop youth programs. Tackett was a terrible youth league coach so he was in way over his head as a high school coach. I dont think he won a game as the freshmen and jv coach. I do think hill had a pretty decent staff his last couple of years, but there is just no talent.

I would argue that there was MORE talent the last couple of years than there was previously. They could have had 8 seniors on the team this year to go with their first team ALL-OVC junior and a deep sophomore class but for various reasons it didn't work out. And if you look at the record that I posted earlier RV was better when Tackett was involved.

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

As Bevo posted Tackett was 3-44 with teams he coached. That says a lot about Tacketts coaching ability right there. How does 3-44 make your program better? I would say he had zero input with Coach Stout and Coach Hill.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Prep Expert wrote:As Bevo posted Tackett was 3-44 with teams he coached. That says a lot about Tacketts coaching ability right there. How does 3-44 make your program better? I would say he had zero input with Coach Stout and Coach Hill.

Very difficult to go by freshman or JV records because many kids moved up but I guess you're right because when he left the programs record got much better!!!! Errrrrrrrr oh wait, that didn't happen so....... Clearly SOMEBODY needed some input with Hill! LOL

Oh well back to the new hire.

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Regardless of whether u liked stout hill tackett Stephens etc and ne one else that has coached in rv past the next hire will still face the same reality as everyone else has faced. The history of d3 look at it people is it really rocket science? When rv was d2 and couldn't compete they opted out of seoal and entered the ovc guess what can't compete there either and its d3 now comes the tvc d3 for those of u who think u have the crystal ball u better get the one u shake that says try again. The tvc will eat them alive I know I'm lost but let's look real quick shall we Vinton county u play them now u don't win nelsonville York u play them now u don't win Alexander meigs u might split u play them now and u don't win do the math that's 0-8 already as for football talk to the coach ask him what he thinks I'm sure he would agree he wasn't done a favor by entering tvc let's look Athens no chance nelsonville uuuhhh no Alexander sometimes so the pattern of being the same or worse cause u have to consider girl sports now wasn't done a favor. There will b yrs of some light but few and far between. I wish rv the best as for the arm chair or bleacher coaches out there that see the light don't walk towards it because its attached to a large train and your standing on the tracks just in a different rail yard. Rvs best bet would b politely ask some of the non athletic boys to attend s.g. and that way both would still b under the numbers but both could be d4 that's the best solution ne in coming head coach could ask for.Long time between now and next yr. Chance to improve good luck I'm sure people will b watching.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Judge and Jury wrote:Regardless of whether u liked stout hill tackett Stephens etc and ne one else that has coached in rv past the next hire will still face the same reality as everyone else has faced. The history of d3 look at it people is it really rocket science? When rv was d2 and couldn't compete they opted out of seoal and entered the ovc guess what can't compete there either and its d3 now comes the tvc d3 for those of u who think u have the crystal ball u better get the one u shake that says try again. The tvc will eat them alive I know I'm lost but let's look real quick shall we Vinton county u play them now u don't win nelsonville York u play them now u don't win Alexander meigs u might split u play them now and u don't win do the math that's 0-8 already as for football talk to the coach ask him what he thinks I'm sure he would agree he wasn't done a favor by entering tvc let's look Athens no chance nelsonville uuuhhh no Alexander sometimes so the pattern of being the same or worse cause u have to consider girl sports now wasn't done a favor. There will b yrs of some light but few and far between. I wish rv the best as for the arm chair or bleacher coaches out there that see the light don't walk towards it because its attached to a large train and your standing on the tracks just in a different rail yard. Rvs best bet would b politely ask some of the non athletic boys to attend s.g. and that way both would still b under the numbers but both could be d4 that's the best solution ne in coming head coach could ask for.Long time between now and next yr. Chance to improve good luck I'm sure people will b watching.
lol your an idiot haha, rv when they were div2 won a sectional championship they played at the convo no they are not going to beat athens or vinnton co on a regular basis but who in that league does? the ovc and tvc are pretty much even as far as strength they will beat meigs and alexander and welston about as many times as they lose and can have a good year now and then. your in a hurry to preach sg to everyone they will be down and with greer only it should be show time haha

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Yep your the genious alright took u a couple days to stop all the marbles from rolling around in your head and that's the best you came up with lol not bad! The tvc is the same as ovc yep your correct give yourself a pat on the back! Rv hasn't played well in it over the yrs. So moving to the tvc as u say is the same as the ovc that should get the marbles rolling again because if its the same then rv will remain the same middle to bottom yr. In and yr. Out. As far preaching s.g. I don't have a kid in it so I could care less I'm just stating the facts. As far as s.g. being down as usual you've failed to do your homework they got at two maybe three productive seasons coming.

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

There is a lot of talent in the TVC Ohio right now and more on the way. Athens is absolutely loaded. Vinton county has a very good coach and a very talented group that will be freshmen next year. Alexander started 3 freshmen this year, and meigs has 3 very talented classes back to back to back. RV will be lucky to win any league games if they do it will be 2-3 tops. As far as football, RV may never win a league game. It will be years before they get there 1st TVC Ohio win.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Judge and Jury wrote:Yep your the genious alright took u a couple days to stop all the marbles from rolling around in your head and that's the best you came up with lol not bad! The tvc is the same as ovc yep your correct give yourself a pat on the back! Rv hasn't played well in it over the yrs. So moving to the tvc as u say is the same as the ovc that should get the marbles rolling again because if its the same then rv will remain the same middle to bottom yr. In and yr. Out. As far preaching s.g. I don't have a kid in it so I could care less I'm just stating the facts. As far as s.g. being down as usual you've failed to do your homework they got at two maybe three productive seasons coming.
sg may have 2 seasons where they are near .500 in a BAD league they had the worst 8th grade team in southern ohio. stout was a good basketball coach he won 100 games in less than 10 yrs coaching that means you can coach, but 3 wins in 50 means you can't!

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Lol I can care less of ne bodies records however u still continue to open mouth insert foot. The tvc u call so terrible lol do your homework once again the teams that u say r so bad still seem to find a way to beat rv really! Let's look brief history just brief don't want you to strain yourself here. 11'12' season real brief since were discussing coaching rv up six on southern at home mind u end up losing the lead going into o.t. for u o.t. means overtime. Rv never scores in 4 min. And southern win by 15. 12'13' season rv leads southern almost entire game ends up losing. Oh and he lost to Jackson in 12'13' and if your going to hang your hat on jv and Jr. High success then your the ones enabling the system to grow. Anyone that ever cares about those kinds of records don't see the big picture. EVER! That's just a glimpse of games lost by your beloved hero.if u wanna keep going I can throw up more blown games than you can won games and that doesn't take a math teacher to educate but hey by all means we'll all continue to stick to the facts of strengths of leagues and schedule and so fourth and bevo will continue to shoot from the hip and throw out disclaimers and smoke screens whatever it takes to make himself feel better about a bad situation. Of course then again that's what most people tend to do is look for excuses for why things don't work which that's fine its human nature so what happened these last two yrs. I'm sure there has to b another simple excuse to why they only won a grand total of 8 games under the grand wizard. Because you've blamed everyone else that's ever been there. People always wonder why a great coaches never want to come to rv well if they read what bevo is preaching they laugh and turn a blind eye to ignorance.Good luck rv and don't drink whatever kool aid bevo's drinking! Plus we will all b aware of bevo's next thought course that might take another three days good thing we didn't pay to hear him preach or was it rant about something its been so long.The great thing is he will return yet with another outstanding report from the peanut gallery!

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Just remember no one cares who was the asst. Coaches from when started or when hill took over who was laytons asst. Wolfe's asst. Jenkins asst. Who cares because when its all said and done the guy in charge is solely responsible for his or her program and if you make excuses for your team by blaming asst. The weather whatever u wanna blame the responsibility is his and his alone. If the kids didn't perform that's his fault if game plan goes bad his fault if ne reason other than his fault is unacceptable. So if were arguing over all of the what ifs. What if they would've just let Wolfe do his job to begin with where would we be.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

I am guessing they will end up with a first time head coach. If it is a young coach it could be a career killer for them.I don't really understand why this school isn't more successful at sports. It is not just basketball but all sports. This leads a person to think maybe coaching isn't the problem. Good luck to the person taking this job.

Return to “Boys Basketball”