Best basketball player in Southeast Ohio right now!?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best basketball player in Southeast Ohio right now!?

Post by danicalifornia »

RAIDER6309 wrote:http://nextuprecruits.com/rankings/ohio-2017/

Lutz has by far the most potential in this area
Good stuff, thanks. Is he going to grow anymore? I'm excited to see him play, sounds like he should be the top player in this area.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Right now he's 5'9 or 5'10 real height. His older brother is 6'1. He doesn't put up the big numbers on Athens but hard to average a lot on a team when you are the point guard with 3 6'4 division one athletes. I've watched Athens all year and he is by far our best player. Hopefully both Athens and Unioto win, like to see that match up at the convo

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

Keep in mind that Nextuprecruits is a "Payed" service that is supposed to help kids get recruited very similar to CPOA (College Prospects of America) or NCSA. So yes they will certainly rank some of their own. Those rankings mean little unless they are from a national non-paying service. Lutz is a fine player however that has good potential.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Tribe,

Just curious thanks, sounds like same situation Lawson from Eastern Brown was in a couple years ago.. I think he had Belmont, and a few teams of that caliber sniffing after a strong showing at AAU nationals... I think West Liberty's up tempo style will bode well for Beau. I look for him to excel and thrive wherever he ends up, even if it takes a while. People don't realize the quality of players in that league.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

sportslifelove wrote:

Keep in mind that Nextuprecruits is a "Payed" service that is supposed to help kids get recruited very similar to CPOA (College Prospects of America) or NCSA. So yes they will certainly rank some of their own. Those rankings mean little unless they are from a national non-paying service. Lutz is a fine player however that has good potential.
So is every AAU type ranking site. Lutz seems like he's always getting talked about at national invite camps. He has the most potential in SEO to play D1 basketball

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

That site again http:/ dontbelieve/thehype.com?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Griffin Lutz is ranked 26th in 2017 in Ohio. No one else in SEO is ranked in their class
Justice and Allison are both ranked in their class on other sites. Beau is the only SE prospect listed for the 2015 class on this particular site

http://kyprephoops.com/1415/2014MarOHBoys.html

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:Griffin Lutz is ranked 26th in 2017 in Ohio. No one else in SEO is ranked in their class
Justice and Allison are both ranked in their class on other sites. Beau is the only SE prospect listed for the 2015 class on this particular site

http://kyprephoops.com/1415/2014MarOHBoys.html

Michael Hall is also listed on that site. Overall SE Ohio just doesn't receive the media coverage to have players listed nationally plus the overall level of play isn't as high as Cincy, Cbus, Cleveland areas.

I mean look, I just listed the best players in SE Ohio and you guys haven't argued much against those players and NONE of them will play D1 ball. I completely understand that sometimes D2/D3 ball is a MUCH better option for the student-athlete to get a wonderful education and continue their athletic career because in the end that is what's most important to these young men is an education. The reality is that we have had the pleasure to cheer for and against them in high school and hopefully will get the opportunity to do the same for them in college. But one day ALL of them will have to be good at something other than basketball and that is called life. I wish each and every one of them the best of luck in their future and hope they use basketball to earn a degree and live a fruitful life.
Last edited by sportslifelove on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

Lutz is tough, and his value to the Bulldogs success cannot be overstated. With the game on the line, however, I would prefer for Mr. Burrow to have the ball in his hands! It will be very interesting to see if Athens can continue their recent success next year minus the big guys.

As far as D1 potential is concerned, I would say Swingle from Paint Valley is the best bet.

SVCFan
Waterboy

Post by SVCFan »

Maurice Minnifield wrote:Lutz is tough, and his value to the Bulldogs success cannot be overstated. With the game on the line, however, I would prefer for Mr. Burrow to have the ball in his hands! It will be very interesting to see if Athens can continue their recent success next year minus the big guys.

As far as D1 potential is concerned, I would say Swingle from Paint Valley is the best bet.
By far.

buckeye_monester
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye_monester »

Justice

buckeye_monester
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye_monester »

Justice

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Maurice Minnifield wrote:Lutz is tough, and his value to the Bulldogs success cannot be overstated. With the game on the line, however, I would prefer for Mr. Burrow to have the ball in his hands! It will be very interesting to see if Athens can continue their recent success next year minus the big guys.

Swingle is still pretty raw at the moment, but that is par for the course for underclassmen usually. If he keeps growing, puts a significant amount of time in to improving over the following summers, and gets some exposure playing AAU he could very well end up going D1.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

TribeManiac10 wrote:

Swingle is still pretty raw at the moment, but that is par for the course for underclassmen usually. If he keeps growing, puts a significant amount of time in to improving over the following summers, and gets some exposure playing AAU he could very well end up going D1.

He might. No one of significance has watched him play this year though.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

danicalifornia wrote:
TribeManiac10 wrote:

Actually, they have. I know of Bob Huggins coming to Bainbridge to watch the young man. Also last night, Mr. Dave Dickerson, associate head coach at Ohio State was in attendance. 2 pretty high end Division 1 schools, and I am sure there have been more than just those 2.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I know they have. Huggins flew in to watch him at Unioto early on too. On top of multiple other coaches as well.

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

[b]danicalifornia[/b] wrote:
TribeManiac10 wrote:

[b]danicalifornia[/b] wrote:I know they have. Huggins flew in to watch him at Unioto early on too. On top of multiple other coaches as well.

Is anyone else confused here? Did danicalifornia just give two posts that are polar opposites?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

sportslifelove wrote:Just my opinion on the Top 10 in no particular order

Michael Hall (Warren) Great size, can play many positions and very skilled as well as a great athlete

Joe Burrow (Athens) Superb overall athlete with tremendous strength, his future is in football however as we know

Kyrie Allison (Portsmouth) Great speed and athleticism and can score MANY ways

Beau Justice (Peebles) Absolute scoring machine, best shooter in SE Ohio and maybe the whole state.

Brayden Greer (South Gallia) Best true PG and passer in SE Ohio, tremendous court vision

Ryan Brown (Valley) Tremendous length and scores with both hands while capable of playing 4 positions

Bryan Rolfe (Valley) Good size and a leader that can score inside and outside

Tristen Wolfe (Southern) Best defender in SE Ohio with a motor that never stops and underrated scorer and rebounder

Tommy Bolte (Chillicothe) Overall talented player that can score at will, dealt with an injury early and came back strong

Kenton Gullion (Minford) Leads a very good team in nearly every category, very solid overall player

Honorable mentions: Michael Davis (west), Sky Oliver (Portsmouth), Micah Couch (Trimble), Griffin Lutz (Athens), Nick Corcoran (Unioto), Josh Thacker (Eastern)
You have 3 players in your ten from the soc 2, they are great players but you left out the 2 best players in the soc 2 in Drew Scarberry and Brandon Rowe.

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

luvbigcats wrote:
sportslifelove wrote:Just my opinion on the Top 10 in no particular order

Michael Hall (Warren) Great size, can play many positions and very skilled as well as a great athlete

Joe Burrow (Athens) Superb overall athlete with tremendous strength, his future is in football however as we know

Kyrie Allison (Portsmouth) Great speed and athleticism and can score MANY ways

Beau Justice (Peebles) Absolute scoring machine, best shooter in SE Ohio and maybe the whole state.

Brayden Greer (South Gallia) Best true PG and passer in SE Ohio, tremendous court vision

Ryan Brown (Valley) Tremendous length and scores with both hands while capable of playing 4 positions

Bryan Rolfe (Valley) Good size and a leader that can score inside and outside

Tristen Wolfe (Southern) Best defender in SE Ohio with a motor that never stops and underrated scorer and rebounder

Tommy Bolte (Chillicothe) Overall talented player that can score at will, dealt with an injury early and came back strong

Kenton Gullion (Minford) Leads a very good team in nearly every category, very solid overall player

Honorable mentions: Michael Davis (west), Sky Oliver (Portsmouth), Micah Couch (Trimble), Griffin Lutz (Athens), Nick Corcoran (Unioto), Josh Thacker (Eastern)
You have 3 players in your ten from the soc 2, they are great players but you left out the 2 best players in the soc 2 in Drew Scarberry and Brandon Rowe.
Ah yes I did forget them and they are fine players although I have seen them play less than the 10 that I listed. That being said I would not supplant my original 10 with those 2 but would certainly add them to the honorable mention list.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

[b]danicalifornia[/b] wrote:
TribeManiac10 wrote:

As far as D1 potential is concerned, I would say Swingle from Paint Valley is the best bet.Swingle is still pretty raw at the moment, but that is par for the course for underclassmen usually. If he keeps growing, puts a significant amount of time in to improving over the following summers, and gets some exposure playing AAU he could very well end up going D1.

I know they have. Huggins flew in to watch him at Unioto early on too. On top of multiple other coaches as well.[/b]

Is anyone else confused here? Did danicalifornia just give two posts that are polar opposites?
[/quote]

It was on purpose. It seems to me that some feel like they know who can play at the D1 level better than major college coaches. I doubt Huggy Bear would've made multiple flights in if the kid couldn't play or wasn't coordinated enough to. One trip would have been enough for now for him and OSU. There's going to be games where Swingle struggles, as there are with most freshman, but he's a 6'9 (and growing) kid who has great hands and can run smoothly. His post game will continue to evolve and he shoots the mid range jumper very well for a kid at his size. The biggest worry I have for him is starting his junior year when they are low on talent around him to get him the ball.

Return to “Boys Basketball”