Time for Block/Charge Arc?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Time for Block/Charge Arc?

Post by Raider6309 »

The charge call is probably the most annoying call in SEO, has become a very dangerous play for the offensive player since many kids are moving in position when the offensive player is in the air. Long over due for an arc in the paint.
thoughts?

knowledge
All Conference

Re: Time for Block/Charge Arc?

Post by knowledge »

That was actually just on a survey completed by coaches here in the NW District. I would be in favor of this.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I dont see this as a major problem in high school basketball. However I swear I see 10 plus very egregious illegal screens that are missed! Hips ans shoulder checks as defenders pass by. Actually have had refs say your kids are flopping! I would love to put some clips together and post them but I am not that tech savvy!

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

I love the idea, it's needed for player safety as much as anything else. I'm glad we're getting this rolling up north.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I would be in favor of the arc as well, but too many officials in our area can't call a block properly in the middle of the court. Throw in a line they have to be looking for and it could get uglier.

givengo
Waterboy

Post by givengo »

I agree with 4Th n goal, to much now for them to watch and get right. Plus no monitors to look back on like college and pro.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Consistency among the refs. I dont feel they agree. The better ones are on top of it, some are not. Its unfair to they players in the game on both sides. There needs to be player/ officials communication regarding calls without the threat of T's or retaliation calls.

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

WAY overdue! The officials in our area miss this call routinely.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

What's annoying is watching tournament games, and I have seen about 6 so far, and seeing referees that don't run or get into position. Drives me crazy!!! I saw two refs on the girls side not even cross half court !! That should be a red flag to whoever puts them into the tournament games. Kids deserve a lot more from some of these they are putting on the floor.
Also saw a woman not even shake hands with the players. What!!??? Someone needs to tell her its about sportsmanship not her!!!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Regulator, thank you for saying that you have seen officials not hustle or get into proper areas on the floor. It doesn't take talent to hustle.
Last edited by clevelandbrowns#1 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I can deal with bad calls , sometimes lol, and judgement calls, but too many times officials think they are bigger then the game. shameful. Don't get me wrong , there are a lot of good refs, but these lazy refs are really destroying the basketball game and it needs to be stopped. Southeast board needs to put a stop to it.

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

I like the idea of the arc. Also wouldn't mind seeing a shot clock as well. Split between college and NBA and do 30 seconds

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Could you imagine a 30 second shot clock in jr hi basketball? Lol. Thats what people forget, whatever rules are applied go all the way down to jr high!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

High school needs a shot clock and the arc.
College needs a 24 second shot clock and no zone allowed.
College basketball is terrible to watch now

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

RAIDER6309 wrote:High school needs a shot clock and the arc.
College needs a 24 second shot clock and no zone allowed.
College basketball is terrible to watch now
Are you serious? Why not throw out all of the coaches and let the most talented team win everytime? Sounds like that's what you want. It's called coaching man.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

A talented team that plays well together should always win. I guess you are the type that wants everyone to get a trophy, running the clock and not looking to score is not coaching

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

And a talented team who plays together can win without a shotclock. You want a shot clck because you dont understand the subtle differences in the game with being able to play whatever style you want to give your team the best chance to win. High school athletics arent meant for your enjoyment, they were created to give the kids the oppurtunity to compete.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

RAIDER6309 wrote:A talented team that plays well together should always win. I guess you are the type that wants everyone to get a trophy, running the clock and not looking to score is not coaching

It actually sounds like you're the one that wants everyone to get a trophy. Let Goliath always win and then pat David on the back with a "good try here is your reward, you'll never have success as a team."

Sounds to me like you have once had the most talented team on the floor and got out coached and now you're bitter about it.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Don't like the arc aka (shaq box). Refs do their jobs and swallow the whistle on these deep charge calls and there is no need for an arc.

Return to “Boys Basketball”