Best pure shooter from this area???

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Re: Best pure shooter from this area???

Post by Jtaylor304 »

If we are talking shot for shot anywhere on the floor I'm taking the King kid from Clay. In a shoot out I believe he'd out shoot anyone around. just my opinion

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

r1master wrote:Beau is a PHENOMENAL shooter, and clearly one of the most prolific scorers in all of southeast Ohio...I'd love to have him on my team, but lets not get carried away BlackCobra...He is NOT better than Jaevin Cumberland, not even in the same category. Wilmington has played Moeller, CovCath, Huber Heights Wayne, Lexington Catholic, and a USA Today Top 25 team at Flyin to the Hoop...as well as DESTROYING every team in their own conference....thats a pretty far cry from playing a relatively weak SHL opponent night in and night out (and I'm a SHL alum who is proud of his conference, just sayin)...Beau is really good, but not Jaevin Cumberland good
Jarron is on another level than anyone in our district, you will get no debate there. I disagree with you about Jaevin though. If he is a better player it is by the slightest of margins. This next comment will undoubtably come off as conceited comparing the best player in the state to a SEO player but I honestly believe it to be true from watching much of both of them. The only thing that separates Beau and Luke Kennard is 5-6" in height and some muscle. They are much closer in skill set than anyone would care to admit. I would never have said that about his brother Blake. Beau has that type of talent. He has taken this year's Peebles team from OK(similar to West Union) to the #2 ranking in the state. Still this debate is about pure shooters so I don't know why it has morphed into best overall player.

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

Wilmington just beat Dayton Wayne. You should have stopped at best shooter. No WAY is Justice a better player than Cumberland (either one). You are comparing apples to oranges. Peebles is in a weak league and plays weak teams (SHL is down even for their standards). Wilmington is one of the most dominating teams in Ohio playing top level teams in the nation. One is going to play D2,and plays D4 in SEO, while the other holds Big Ten offers, plays D1 in SW Ohio against the big boys. Do some homework. You need to get out of town to check out some real teams and players. Get real. Nothing against Beau, he is a very good player in his own right.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

I'm going to have to stop reading this board.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

domain master wrote:Wilmington just beat Dayton Wayne. You should have stopped at best shooter. No WAY is Justice a better player than Cumberland (either one). You are comparing apples to oranges. Peebles is in a weak league and plays weak teams (SHL is down even for their standards). Wilmington is one of the most dominating teams in Ohio playing top level teams in the nation. One is going to play D2,and plays D4 in SEO, while the other holds Big Ten offers, plays D1 in SW Ohio against the big boys. Do some homework. You need to get out of town to check out some real teams and players. Get real. Nothing against Beau, he is a very good player in his own right.

This is about shooters. No one actually said he was a better player.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Best shooter in the area? That's easy. I see him in the gym during lunch time every day. Though he does not play on the school team, since his grades are not too good. That boy sure can shoot though. No one ever stops him from making a shot, and sometimes he has 2 or 3 of them hanging on his arms as he throws one up. Just wish he could make the grades. :mrgreen:

BigBlacks05
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlacks05 »

that is a shame ground buck. people would be surprised the kids that could really help a team out and don't make the grades its a shame to see.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

domain master wrote:Wilmington just beat Dayton Wayne. You should have stopped at best shooter. No WAY is Justice a better player than Cumberland (either one). You are comparing apples to oranges. Peebles is in a weak league and plays weak teams (SHL is down even for their standards). Wilmington is one of the most dominating teams in Ohio playing top level teams in the nation. One is going to play D2,and plays D4 in SEO, while the other holds Big Ten offers, plays D1 in SW Ohio against the big boys. Do some homework. You need to get out of town to check out some real teams and players. Get real. Nothing against Beau, he is a very good player in his own right.
Jaevin is going to Oakland. Jarron holds Big 10 offers. Is playing for a bottom feeder D1 really so much better than a perennial national power D2? Is it a significantly higher level of competition? No to both points. Jaevin is a good player but Jarron is the horse that pulls that Wagon. I also guarantee that I've seen as many "real teams" play in the last 5 years as you have, including every one mentioned in this conversation. I have no delusions of grandeur about SHAC basketball or this Peebles team. Are they good for our area? Yes. Are they the state juggernaut that this Wilmington team could be? No, no one debates that. That being said Beau can play with anyone in this state, and has all summer long since he was in elementary school. It is the area he chose to live in and his lack of D1 size and freakish athleticism that nets him little respect from people who have a small samples of him in action, not his talent or cerebral feel for the game. I am stepping off my soapbox now. :-D I have not been as passionate about the high school game after transitioning to watching more college ball the past 3-4 years but this is something that still gets the coals burning.
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

danicalifornia wrote:

This is about shooters. No one actually said he was a better player.
:lol: I guess I will now. This topic has been contorted enough to bait me into it.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

buckeyes911 wrote:If we are talking shot for shot anywhere on the floor I'm taking the King kid from Clay. In a shoot out I believe he'd out shoot anyone around. just my opinion
He gets that honestly. Man his dad sure could light it up.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Chase Lawson, an SHL Alum plays and sees significant minutes at Wheeling Jesuit. Same league as W. Liberty. Jesuit beat W. Liberty twenty a couple weeks ago. If we are just talking best shooter it would be hard not to mention him. IMO. I also think Blake was a better "shooter" then Beau. Beau is all around the better player, but the one thing Blake has to offer may be better than any one thing Beau has to offer. When it comes to recruiting to a particular system, being a better shooter may trump having an array of other skills at times. That being said Beau is one of the better players I have seen at the high school level, and this would be the case no matter how strong the league is, though his numbers may not have been quite as high during the SHL from 96-05. He truly is a phenomenal player though and I love his passion. He has the work ethic and passion to thrive wherever he is.

Other good "shooters"

Jeff May (Blue Creek)
Paul Cluxton (Lynchburg)
Bill Cullom (Greenfield)
Nathan Van Winkle (Fairfield)
Brett Beucler (Eastern Brown)
RJ Beucler " "
Jeremy Stacy (Whiteoak)

Cory Copas

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

theuglytruth wrote:Chase Lawson, an SHL Alum plays and sees significant minutes at Wheeling Jesuit. Same league as W. Liberty. Jesuit beat W. Liberty twenty a couple weeks ago. If we are just talking best shooter it would be hard not to mention him. IMO. I also think Blake was a better "shooter" then Beau. Beau is all around the better player, but the one thing Blake has to offer may be better than any one thing Beau has to offer. When it comes to recruiting to a particular system, being a better shooter may trump having an array of other skills at times. That being said Beau is one of the better players I have seen at the high school level, and this would be the case no matter how strong the league is, though his numbers may not have been quite as high during the SHL from 96-05. He truly is a phenomenal player though and I love his passion. He has the work ethic and passion to thrive wherever he is.

Other good "shooters"

Jeff May (Blue Creek)
Paul Cluxton (Lynchburg)
Bill Cullom (Greenfield)
RJ Beucler " "
Jeremy Stacy (Whiteoak)

Cory Copas
I respect your opinion but I think Beau is as good of a shooter as Blake. I feel Blake had opportunities to put in more 3's per game because he had a better supportive cast around him. 5 players on the 2011 team went on to play in college. Plus he had Andrew Seaman the year before who is one of the better shooters, and all around players for that matter, that Peebles has ever had. You couldn't put the pressure on Blake with Countryman/Seaman/Arey on the wing and Jake Daniels/Tyler Arnold/Tyler Caudill in the post that they can with Beau. Again this is all just my speculation. You are right about Chase. He would be involved somewhere in the equation. Though the West Liberty game was his worst performance on the year.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:Chase Lawson, an SHL Alum plays and sees significant minutes at Wheeling Jesuit. Same league as W. Liberty. Jesuit beat W. Liberty twenty a couple weeks ago. If we are just talking best shooter it would be hard not to mention him. IMO. I also think Blake was a better "shooter" then Beau. Beau is all around the better player, but the one thing Blake has to offer may be better than any one thing Beau has to offer. When it comes to recruiting to a particular system, being a better shooter may trump having an array of other skills at times. That being said Beau is one of the better players I have seen at the high school level, and this would be the case no matter how strong the league is, though his numbers may not have been quite as high during the SHL from 96-05. He truly is a phenomenal player though and I love his passion. He has the work ethic and passion to thrive wherever he is.

Other good "shooters"

Jeff May (Blue Creek)
Paul Cluxton (Lynchburg)
Bill Cullom (Greenfield)
RJ Beucler " "
Jeremy Stacy (Whiteoak)

Cory Copas
I respect your opinion but I think Beau is as good of a shooter as Blake. I feel Blake had opportunities to put in more 3's per game because he had a better supportive cast around him. 5 players on the 2011 team went on to play in college. Plus he had Andrew Seaman the year before who is one of the better shooters, and all around players for that matter, that Peebles has ever had. You couldn't put the pressure on Blake with Countryman/Seaman/Arey on the wing and Jake Daniels/Tyler Arnold/Tyler Caudill in the post that they can with Beau. Again this is all just my speculation. You are right about Chase. He would be involved somewhere in the equation. Though the West Liberty game was his worst performance on the year.
Yes it was, but he has been a big contributor in his time there. I hope he works hard and continues to excel. College can be distracting. Good logic with the Beau/Blake debate. Makes sense....

Catcher_09
Waterboy

Post by Catcher_09 »

I'd say Beau Justice is the best player in Southeastern Ohio in my opinion!

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Other good "shooters"

Jeff May (Blue Creek)
Paul Cluxton (Lynchburg)
Bill Cullom (Greenfield)
RJ Beucler " "
Jeremy Stacy (Whiteoak)

Cory Copas

Since you are mentioning players from these schools, in my opinion you left out the best
Nathan Copas
Dante Jackson

r1master
Riding the Bench

Post by r1master »

My apologies for taking this thread off topic..lol I guess my perspective when assessing basketball players might be a bit different from most other viewers. As a former college player now in his early 30's, I normally do not comment on comparisons between players unless I have some sort of personal experience with them, that being, either played with or against them personally at some point (open gym, 3 on 3 tournament, men's leagues, etc.), or coached against them at some point in their career. In the comparison of Jaevin and Beau, I have done both, hence my personal assessment of the two (in which the coaching staff at both Oakland and West Liberty would most certainly agree..lol).

You always make some good points TRIBE, and I too have personal ties to the Peebles basketball program, so I understand the pride and tradition. But lets be real, scoring 30+points against West Union (3), Eastern (2), Ripley, Fayetteville, North Adams (2), and even Summit Country Day is simply NOT worthy of even remote comparison of scoring 30+points against D1 powers such as Moeller, Wayne, Gahanna Lincoln, CovCath, Lakota East, and so on....I can't believe anyone would even make that assertion. Jarron is a beast and has more upside than Jaevin, but also has been plagued with foul trouble in many of Wilmington's huge wins, forcing Jaevin to carry the load. As I said, Beau is a phenomenal player, one of the best in the area I do agree, but would not have been able to do what Jaevin has done against some of the national talent Wilmington has faced.

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

r1, you are correct, spot on. My point exactly. Cumberland had numerous D1 offers, not just Oakland. And would have had many more with his great senior year.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

G.W.A. wrote:

Other good "shooters"

Jeff May (Blue Creek)
Paul Cluxton (Lynchburg)
Bill Cullom (Greenfield)
RJ Beucler " "
Jeremy Stacy (Whiteoak)

Cory Copas

Since you are mentioning players from these schools, in my opinion you left out the best
Nathan Copas
Dante Jackson
best players by all means they should be included, the thread was about best shooters

BigBlacks05
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlacks05 »

Wilmington and pebbles are two totally different size schools and conferences for the little D3 and D4 schools in the area beau is the best shooter that teams have to face around here unioto has a good shooter but not like the justice boy all the stats should be on maxpreps the numbers tell who best shooters are.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

r1master wrote:My apologies for taking this thread off topic..lol I guess my perspective when assessing basketball players might be a bit different from most other viewers. As a former college player now in his early 30's, I normally do not comment on comparisons between players unless I have some sort of personal experience with them, that being, either played with or against them personally at some point (open gym, 3 on 3 tournament, men's leagues, etc.), or coached against them at some point in their career. In the comparison of Jaevin and Beau, I have done both, hence my personal assessment of the two (in which the coaching staff at both Oakland and West Liberty would most certainly agree..lol).

You always make some good points TRIBE, and I too have personal ties to the Peebles basketball program, so I understand the pride and tradition. But lets be real, scoring 30+points against West Union (3), Eastern (2), Ripley, Fayetteville, North Adams (2), and even Summit Country Day is simply NOT worthy of even remote comparison of scoring 30+points against D1 powers such as Moeller, Wayne, Gahanna Lincoln, CovCath, Lakota East, and so on....I can't believe anyone would even make that assertion. Jarron is a beast and has more upside than Jaevin, but also has been plagued with foul trouble in many of Wilmington's huge wins, forcing Jaevin to carry the load. As I said, Beau is a phenomenal player, one of the best in the area I do agree, but would not have been able to do what Jaevin has done against some of the national talent Wilmington has faced.
All fair points. It is just when I see the IT factor that Beau brings to the game I have a hard time keeping my opinion to myself. We could be watching the best player that has ever came through our program, which is incredible given the scores of great individuals we have had(especially in the backcourt). Don't get me wrong though, Jaevin is an excellent player and he deserves all the praise he gets.

Return to “Boys Basketball”