GAHS basketball?

doubleplay643
S

Re: GAHS basketball?

Post by doubleplay643 »

Ironman92 wrote:
Rebels on 3 wrote:Regulator it is actually a very smart move for Drenner to move to SG, because GA wasn't smart enough to use a kid with a very high ceiling level like Drenner. SG is a better team at the end of the day anyways. So why wouldn't he go play with the best guard in the county in Greer. DJ will be a 20-10 guy all day at SG with a better team and coach. DJ was going to go to ST. Joe also but was to far of a drive everyday to school. So don't bash a kid for the choices they make to better themselves.
....as a basketball player

I admit sometimes I wonder, is it better in the short-term to make that switch only for consideration of one thing - play a particular sport and a chance for a little longer play-off run or more playing time or more competitive program...or is it better long term to consider all the intangibles of helping a struggling program, building a team, creating something, not to mention academics (lest we forget the real reason).

The Borden and Ondera move from Jackson to Oak Hill several years back is the exception I believe to the rule. A state championship was won and each kid had great experiences at the school athletically and academically from most accounts I have heard (I know neither of the players or their parents personally). Austin Osbourne moving from Wellston to Jackson I believe from all accounts was equally successful. My guess is that those are the EXCEPTIONS. My bet is that the RULE is a lot of moving around occurs with little to no short-term benefit athletically or long-term benefit academically.

Just my perspective, could be completely mistaken. I do believe that a private, catholic education for the kid going to St. Joe will reap the benefit of a pretty solid academic program, have no idea about their sports program though.

Lot more to decisions than one-sport considerations IMO.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:If he is going to SG he will be sitting out a year. Not sure if I was the SG coach I would mess with my team chemistry.
That is not correct. He would only sit out the first 11 regular season games but could play all summer, practice with the team the whole time and play the last 11 regular season games plus ALL tournament games.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

How many times I have seen this story. Mommy and Daddy thinks their kid is a D1 player and the coach doesn't know it so they move. D1 players are very few in our area and there have been a lot of good players over the years. D1 players don't have to move to get noticed. Colleges will find them.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Fred G. Sanford wrote:How many times I have seen this story. Mommy and Daddy thinks their kid is a D1 player and the coach doesn't know it so they move. D1 players are very few in our area and there have been a lot of good players over the years. D1 players don't have to move to get noticed. Colleges will find them.

Nobody said anything about a D1 player except you, but a move can certainly facilitate a player getting the experience and extra help they need to play at ANY level in the future whether it's NAIA/D3 or whatever. I noticed you didn't say anything about you being completely wrong about your transfer statement.

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

I agree with a lot that has been said about transferring but I also disagree with some of comments that's been said.
Gallia will be fine this year. They still have some good talent and the league has 4 teams so besides Warren which is coached by a great coach I think gallia will win league. This is where I disagree with an earlier comment on better competition. Gahs from what I understood gahs could of joined or had the invite for OVC? Why not the seoal is bad in bb and there is only 4 teams in it. Competition? Jackson is a football school and Logan will be ave. warren is the question mark they lost a lot. Gallia has to play only 6 league game which opens up 16 non league games which has led to eastern and wellston and south gallia which has best guard in area but also tolsia wv and Lincoln co? This is why I don't agree with the competition comment.
Gallia won 11 games last year and the combined record of those wins was a 4-17 team.
Gallia no longer plays Portsmouth and wheelersburg and Athens and Chillicothe. Even when some wasn't in the league gahs always played them. The TVc was never going to let u in the league. Playing a schedule like this will get u 13-14 wins which will get u a good seed and prob to the convo but are you really tested or do you want to lose at the convo?
The kid who may go to st joes played all summer there from what I hear WANTS to be there just like the kid maybe going to SG will play and do great there. I may be wrong here but I think that he has played aau with some on that team and will game chemistry with the better players on this team. Kids transfer all the time and a poster earlier was right I thought another one would be wearing green next year. Gallia has good coaches in place and it's not the coaches fault on the league it's just the seoal is a joke now. It's like winning the ugly baby contest. Should of joined OVC if it was there. Good schools. Easy travel. Good Competition in all sports. If these 2 boys move on the everyone below them moves up 2 spots and gets a chance. I look for a young man named Putney and another white to have good seasons for the blue.
Good luck to all the teams and kids.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Portsmouth has one more year

Warren keeps feeding their varsity with championship JV yeams

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

Warren is the standard but lost a lot last year. After Portsmouth leaves I hear gahs doesn't play them anymore. My bad on Portsmouth I thought they were going to OVC next year. Thanks for the correction

SouthGallia#1 in bball
Riding the Bench

Post by SouthGallia#1 in bball »

Who9Dey wrote:I agree with a lot that has been said about transferring but I also disagree with some of comments that's been said.
Gallia will be fine this year. They still have some good talent and the league has 4 teams so besides Warren which is coached by a great coach I think gallia will win league. This is where I disagree with an earlier comment on better competition. Gahs from what I understood gahs could of joined or had the invite for OVC? Why not the seoal is bad in bb and there is only 4 teams in it. Competition? Jackson is a football school and Logan will be ave. warren is the question mark they lost a lot. Gallia has to play only 6 league game which opens up 16 non league games which has led to eastern and wellston and south gallia which has best guard in area but also tolsia wv and Lincoln co? This is why I don't agree with the competition comment.
Gallia won 11 games last year and the combined record of those wins was a 4-17 team.
Gallia no longer plays Portsmouth and wheelersburg and Athens and Chillicothe. Even when some wasn't in the league gahs always played them. The TVc was never going to let u in the league. Playing a schedule like this will get u 13-14 wins which will get u a good seed and prob to the convo but are you really tested or do you want to lose at the convo?
The kid who may go to st joes played all summer there from what I hear WANTS to be there just like the kid maybe going to SG will play and do great there. I may be wrong here but I think that he has played aau with some on that team and will game chemistry with the better players on this team. Kids transfer all the time and a poster earlier was right I thought another one would be wearing green next year. Gallia has good coaches in place and it's not the coaches fault on the league it's just the seoal is a joke now. It's like winning the ugly baby contest. Should of joined OVC if it was there. Good schools. Easy travel. Good Competition in all sports. If these 2 boys move on the everyone below them moves up 2 spots and gets a chance. I look for a young man named Putney and another white to have good seasons for the blue.
Good luck to all the teams and kids.
Mr. Madison........I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Looks like SG will make some noise!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Who9Dey: I wouldn't call Warren the standard of the SEOAL.......in the last 3 years, Portsmouth has 1 league title (2012), Warren has 1 league title (2013), and both PHS and WHS tied for the league title in 2014. Portsmouth (2012) and Warren (2013) have both made Final 4 appearances in the years listed, while the Trojans also appeared in the Final 4 in 2011.

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

I agree. Portsmouth is a quality team. Love their coach he is a class act.
I stand corrected Trojan ;)

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

kidsarewhatmatters wrote:
Fred G. Sanford wrote:How many times I have seen this story. Mommy and Daddy thinks their kid is a D1 player and the coach doesn't know it so they move. D1 players are very few in our area and there have been a lot of good players over the years. D1 players don't have to move to get noticed. Colleges will find them.

Nobody said anything about a D1 player except you, but a move can certainly facilitate a player getting the experience and extra help they need to play at ANY level in the future whether it's NAIA/D3 or whatever. I noticed you didn't say anything about you being completely wrong about your transfer statement.

Sorry for being wrong about the transfer rule. I never really studied it because I believe in kids playing in the district where they reside for the school they are actually suppose to go to. JMO everyone is entitled to theirs.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

How did GAHS do in Jackson summer league this evening?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Not much interest showen in Blue Devil round ballers this summer.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

I will never understand GA forcing the Dean of high school coaches in SE Ohio out. He was a terrific influence on young men and the kids loved him like a father. The guy who replaced him falls a little short of Osborn's coaching level. When you don't have the material, why blame it on the coach? It was a black mark on the Gallipolis community.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

How true!!!

Stryker
Riding the Bench

Post by Stryker »

Jottings wrote:How did GAHS do in Jackson summer league this evening?
Had the chance to watch some games in Jackson this week. I know Gallia beat Symmes Valley by 10+ ... Can't remember the final... Watched Minford beat Gallia in last game of night for both teams.. Minford lead the whole game and won by 15 or so.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Thanks.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Stryker wrote:
Jottings wrote:How did GAHS do in Jackson summer league this evening?
Had the chance to watch some games in Jackson this week. I know Gallia beat Symmes Valley by 10+ ... Can't remember the final... Watched Minford beat Gallia in last game of night for both teams.. Minford lead the whole game and won by 15 or so.
Thats a decent win for gallia over symmes but I have heard that symmes is a team in dissent lately so not sure if they are full strength plus its summer after all.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

SG Beat Symmes Valley this summer.

Return to “Boys Basketball”