SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Wffan
JV Team

Re: SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Post by Wffan »

Logan elm would only need 5 to beat Unioto. 20 plus

Honestly, can anyone on here say they thi k unioto could beat logan elm ?

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

Unioto has enough talent and shooters to beat anyone they face! I sat and watched them hit 7-10 3's in ZT's gym in one half. Corcoran has hit 9 3's in a game by himself. Add that to 4 or 5 other kids that you can't leave alone, they definitely have the ability to win night in and night out. I also think they can go deeper in to the bench than Logan Elm, which can be beneficial if they game is called tight and kids end up in foul trouble.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Not saying this happened, but at times when a freshman or sophomore can be argued as the best player in a league, some coaches will go with a junior or senior, because that other player has time to get it the next two years.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pioneer5 wrote:SVC stats:

Scoring:
Mowery 2nd 17.3
Corcoran 6th 16.8

Rebounding:
Both Tied for 13th at 5.7

Assists:
Mowery 4th 3.7
Corcoran not listed in top 15

FT %:
Mowery 2nd 84.0
Corcoran 9th 76.4

FG%:
Mowery 10th 48.0

3 point FG's made:
Corcoran 1st (55)
Mowery 5th (40)

Steals per game:
Mowery 1st 2.7
Corcoran 8th 1.6

Blocks per game:
Mowery 2nd 1.2

Stats don't translate in to votes! Both very good players as well as the other 1st team guys; but looking at production of the players in the league it would appear that Mowery had the better stats when you add it all up. I can't answer why the votes broke down the way they did, as I hear at least a couple coaches didn't vote for either Corcoran or Mowery, they voted for McCloy (Paint Valley). I'm baised in my opinion of who should have won, but my opinion doesn't matter. It just seems strange to compare the two players and come away with the thought that Mowery didn't at least deserve a share of the POY award. It's all good, take a look at the 1st team All SVC, we get to have this whole debate again next season since they all return for another season. It's also quite possible that 4 or 5 teams will have one of their other players step up next season to become part of this discussion. Could get real interesting in SVC basketball over the next 2 years!
If Unioto is so deep as some folks are arguing, then they aren't going to need one player do so much as some of the other teams in the conference need to.
Last edited by bman on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

wffan wrote:Logan elm would only need 5 to beat Unioto. 20 plus

Logan Elm's starting 5 and 1 sub are outstanding. They are why the depth argument is overrated at times, even though Unioto obviously has great depth and it's helped greatly throughout the year, but many teams come tournament time drop to a 6-7 man rotation (Warren last year, Athens now, Chillicothe title year)

But, yes Unioto could beat LE. They would have to play very well to get it done. No offense to LE, but they are the least of Unioto's worries as a super talented Minford team stands in the way tomorrow. Finding a way to stop a 6'6, 320 LB big with great hands, feet, and touch will go a long way.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote:
wffan wrote:Logan elm would only need 5 to beat Unioto. 20 plus

Logan Elm's starting 5 and 1 sub are outstanding. They are why the depth argument is overrated at times, even though Unioto obviously has great depth and it's helped greatly throughout the year, but many teams come tournament time drop to a 6-7 man rotation (Warren last year, Athens now, Chillicothe title year)

But, yes Unioto could beat LE. They would have to play very well to get it done. No offense to LE, but they are the least of Unioto's worries as a super talented Minford team stands in the way tomorrow. Finding a way to stop a 6'6, 320 LB big with great hands, feet, and touch will go a long way.
Yep, that's how things are this year. Have to worry about whom is directly ahead or you could be at home. I've talked to some folks who have seen Minford, and it sounds like they have a pretty solid team who could compete well with any team in D2. LE, on its end, has to beat a 16-win Sheridan team to get to the Convo.

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

The all svc team is a complete joke! There are players that got honorable mention that are far better than players on second team. It is obviously a popularity contest, and not based on talent.

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

LE's starting 5 are outstanding? They play well together...the Young kids are tremendous players for their size but the one is still just a freshman and then they have Thompson who has improved greatly...Congrove is a factor sometimes...how are they superior in talent to Unioto? They arent...they are just well coached. They get after you, they run...

Thats my point...with all the talent at UHS they should be a clear favorite on LE but they wouldnt be...

Im tired of talking about POY because now I feel like its like Ive bad mouthed Corcoran which isnt what I have done. Like I said in my first post, the kid is a great shooter and I like the fact that he carries himself well on the floor, very level headed. He comes from a great family as well. I never said he wasnt a good player..but just like you posted bman...Unioto is deep so how can he be the most outstanding player in the league?

Its just an arguement, an opinion....

Mowery is obviously a better player...stats show it, his game shows it...

gilchs
Waterboy

Post by gilchs »

FYI those stat are not updated. Corcoran had 86 PTS. in the last three games. Congrats to all the players . It's amazing how ppl like to hate on high school players. Go get em tanks!

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

MRI13 wrote:Theres no sour grapes with me. I have no affiliation with any school, but I watch a lot of high school basketball...

It sounds more like to me that people with affiliations are upset with my opinions...and thats fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone sees the game differently.

My post got off on a rant, but the fact is this....you have to pick one player from the SVC to put on your team...who do you take?

I have no personal issue with Hoops...but I know parents of kids who played for him, and I also know how much talent this team has. Every coach has a great job to do, take time away from their families, etc and I respect that.

Minford has a great team, as well as LE....but LE has a great starting 5...and then they fall off, they dont have a bench like Unioto...so why should they lose? Because Stiverson always has a great team?

@bman: yes, just what I said UHS has tons of talent, they could field a starting 5 for another SVC team off their bench honestly. So how does one player garner honors more than another?

@danicalif: you dont know my history, where I have coached or where I havent, what success I had as a player myself. I never mentioned player development in a negative way...I actually gave praise to each player ...and in high school and before a lot of that success is personal, a lot of time put in my a dad or a mentor...but I dont know when the last time I seen a team in the SVC have 8-10 guys who can put up 10-15 pts night in and night out...why shouldnt they have success?
If i have to pick one player to be on my team (u ask)its MCCLOY.... 6' something athletic shooters are everywhere.. Not to many big men around.. the most recent runs to the schott, (LE & Chilly) what was the common denominator? Yup Big Men......

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

I could agree with that. The kid knows how to get in position...hes like Kenneth Faried on the boards

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

And if not Hoops for COY then who is it???? They won the league with only 1 loss believe, what else can u ask for? running the table is gettin a lil greety when u r talking about coaching a bunch of teenagers.

IMO Adena and Paint Valley did what most people expected, the rest UNDER ACHIEVED!! after watching ZT early in the season my first thought was "if they dont win the league with this team" somin gonna happen!! Southeatern has great talent also, maybe not as deep across the board, but good kids that just didnt have the right O (IMO) to exploit their talents.. Then there was the middle of the pack teams... Hoops sounds like a slam dunk to me..

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

As far as saying Corcoran didn't deserve POY honors, I think you are crazy. Him and McCloy of PV played the best out of everyone in the league, especially the last 3/4 of the season.
About the league needing to revise how they award league honors, I would say having 3 teams plus 15 or 16 honorable mentions is a bit much and kind of a joke, but the kids (and their parents) like the attention so I can't really complain because it doesn't really matter that much.
As a whole this year, we are seeing that the basketball programs in our league aren't doing so well in the tournament. Although it is nice to see Southeastern coming on as of late. I figured them to be a dark horse for the SVC title this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”