Warren @ Bishop Watterson 12/23

Whs95fan
S

Warren @ Bishop Watterson 12/23

Post by Whs95fan »

Realize Warren has a real test infront of them before the big game Monday against Valley Saturday night but I'm wondering how this game will play out? Has anyone seen Watterson this year or have a starting lineup/scouting report? Looking forward to making the trip up to see how well we can compete.

Go Blue!

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Re: Warren @ Bishop Watterson 12/23

Post by The Exile »

My nephew plays for Watterson and I just saw them win a close one at Ready (very good this year).
They played 8 tonight, all seniors. Return four starters and two key bench guys from last year.
Starters: pg Calhoun. Abt. 5-10. Primary ball handler. Very effective driving to the hole. Solid shooter.
Guard/wing Greiser. Abt. 6-4. A do-it-all type. Can shoot the 3 well, dribble drive, good active defender.
Forward Lehmann. Abt. 6-4. Mostly a face to the basket player. Can post up. Deadly 3pt. Shooter.
Forward Diorio (sp.). Abt. 6-3. Hustle guy, doesn't look to shoot much.
Center Hughes. Abt. 6-4. Key offensive player. Not super athletic, but very developed post game. Can put it on the floor. Can shoot jumpers. Good shot blocker, particularly from behind the play.
Bench:
Lewis. Abt. 6-1. Good 3pt. shooter. Solid rebounder. Can put it on the floor.
Gergharty (sp.). Abt. 5-8. Other key ball handler. Good on the ball defender. Doesn't look to shoot much.
Oman. Abt. 6-1. Active player. Made a key 3 tonight.

First time seeing them this year. Saw many games last year. Overall:
When on, multiple deadly shooters. Can score inside effectively. Occasionally fall in love with the 3 too much. Average ft. Shooting team. Defensively, play a very effective zone most of the game. Mostly seemed to be a 2-3 ( correct me if I'm wrong). Force a ton of turnovers. Not overwhelming size, but very active guys. Rebound very well as a group.
They also play in a very good league (ccl), and a good non-conf. schedule. Needless to say, a big test for Warren in the defending champs. Good luck to both teams!

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Good luck to the Warriors in this matchup. Will be able to evaluate how far we have come and how far we have to go to compete with the states elite programs. GO BIG BLUE!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go Blue

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Win or lose tomorrow night the Warrior Basketball program has arrived. Not saying we are elite but rather year in year out the Warriors will put a team on the floor that will compete. To EVEN get a out of league game with the Defending State DII Champion tells you what their staff thinks of our program.
What most people don't realize is a team is a work in progress. As the year goes on strengths and weaknesses are identified, the team that best address those issues provided they have the talent, will be the most successful at seasons end.
This game will do that for the Warriors. As pieces to the puzzle fall into place this team will be better in Feburary than they are right now.

Tomorrow is a tall task and the team knows it. They also know that they must bring it, if they want a win. Starting back last season the Warriors have had several big games. Win at Athens. Other huge wins Portsmouth, Newark Catholic,Unioto, Vinton County, Athens Again, and New Philly. This year Fort Frye, FCA and Valley. 2 losses St V and Portsmouth. That's a pretty nice record (9-2) in big games. That kind of record shows a team that not only has talent but can and will compete. A team that can execute under extreme pressure. All vital qualities for ANY championship caliber team.

So Warrior fans enjoy the game and the atmosphere tomorrow night. Show Watterson fans what loud sounds like. The motto this season has been "Every Game is a Home Game". Let's make tomorrow's game no different.

As Always

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

ST V? We never played them this year.....Unless I wasn't invited......

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Schnellfritz wrote:ST V? We never played them this year.....Unless I wasn't invited......
Starting back last season the Warriors have had several big games.

The post was in regard to the last 2 seasons. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Last edited by WarriorBlue on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... last season THE regular season game that turned things around was the "beating" at the hands of Upper Arlington ... it was a game as WarriorBlue points out that coaches - good coaches - will take a look at over and over again to find ALL of the weaknesses that were exposed by a quality opponent ... Coach Maddox & staff do it as well as any other ... many teachable moments in the Upper Arlington game just as there will be MANY teachable moments in tomorrow nights get together with Watterson ... non-league games are all about playing teams who WILL make YOU better ... have to play the best to see how your team performs vs the best - it "AIN'T" about winning it is ALL about learning about your own team, where can TEAM improve ... the best teams will expose your own weaknesses where it counts -DURING THE GAME , IN A GAME SITUATION, ON THE COURT ... obviously winning would be a bonus but playing a mature, senior laden team with great shooters/an inside outside game/ a team who WILL put your youngster's feet to the fire in handling pressure, will test your own ball handling skills on the perimeter, a team who has the talent to take away your offensive weapons ... bottomline it forces YOUR TEAM , your individuals to step up, to play at a level that some of the youngsters may not know they can play - YET ... OJT - on the job training ... learning WILL take place, Coach Maddox will TEACH from the opening tip to the last buzzer ...

.. wish I could be there ! but I have other obligations tomorrow evening ... hope we get a full rundown from excoach78 or WarriorBlue OR both !!! anyone know if this one will be broadcast online anywhere???

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Gonna try to do a little broadcasting tonight if we can get a network connection.

WWSN
Warren Warrior Sports Network
http://www.highschoolcube.com/profiles/WHSN

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... THAT would be awesome WarriorBlue !!! ... hope you are successful in getting hooked up ...

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Good luck to the Warriors tonight! Hopefully you can get the broadcast up and running, Go Blue!

jcbigblue
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue »

BW 32 Warren 16 halftime

jcbigblue
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue »

47-25 Watterson end of 3

jcbigblue
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue »

61-39 final.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Warren coaching staff is ALREADY looking over video/ already looking at Warren weaknesses in this one that need addressed ... corrections WILL be made and TEAM will improve having played Watterson tonight ... play/learn/teach/learn more ... I love this game !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Nothing wrong with going on the road to challenge your team. Nothing but positives should come out of tonight for the Warriors as they head into 2014. Now they know where they stand and their outstanding staff will have a chance to figure out how to get them to where they need to be.

Fighting_Scots1
Freshman Team

Post by Fighting_Scots1 »

We were late getting to the game with some adversity on the way to the game ... Did do a brief trial run on the live broadcast and it appears that it is going to work out nicely. We will post future Links and may also add a few non-Warren games of the week with other big area games. Just wanted to give you all a heads up if you were disappointed that the entire game was not broadcast.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Not surprised Watterson won, but am surprised at the lopsided score.Will this game be like the beating they took last year against UA and get them rolling for the year?

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

A few things I can say 4 sure about tonight's contest. First Bishop Watterson is a wonderful team. They are sound in every phase of the game. They share the ball on offense and they play some very hard nose defense.
The officiating was another thing. I'm not saying it was bad because it wasn't. They called the game fairly. What surprised me was the difference in the amount of contact they allowed. If this game had been officiated by a crew from SE Ohio both teams woulda fouled out every starter.
The Warriors needed this game. It was scheduled at the perfect time. A lot to learn in the coming weeks.

When you start the woulda shoulda coulda's mine would be I'd love to have had the 15 layups we missed. Don't want it to sound like we just missed layups. Watterson challenged EVERYTHING so most of those misses were do to the massive defensive pressure being applied. If 10 of those fall maybe were in the game during the 4th quarter.

Hats Off to Bishop Watferson. They were great host and have a great basketball team. One that looked to me like they weren't ready to give up that state championship any time soon.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

Well said WarriorBlue. The game up there in central Ohio is called differently than down here in Southern Ohio. The physicality is hard to get used to when the game is called differently. Like you said, not in favor of Watterson, just different in general than what Warren is used to. The first half saw at least 3 and probably 4 to 5 shots by Warren that appeared to be good shots, that just fell off the rim the wrong way. If those fall, then the game is a dogfight at halftime. However, take nothing away from Watterson as they were everything you said they were---well coached, fundamental,great defensively, and a great passing team with some strong finishers. This can only help the Warriors for later on down the line. It was also nice to see the crowd that the Warrior faithful brought to the game. A very good atmosphere and very good preparation for down the road.

Return to “Boys Basketball”