John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Post by EasternDspy »

The Muskies closest game in the tourney so far was a 40 point win over Indian Valley in the district final.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Post by EasternDspy »

JG only loss was to Linden another Sweet 16 team.

Rocket Proud
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket Proud »

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

EasternDspy wrote:JG only loss was to Linden another Sweet 16 team.
I thought that Linden team they lost to was from New Jersey? Either way, it's going to be a battle for VC.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Lets keep in mind that Indian Valley was a 10 seed with a relatively easy road.

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

Dundas wrote:
EasternDspy wrote:JG only loss was to Linden another Sweet 16 team.
I thought that Linden team they lost to was from New Jersey? Either way, it's going to be a battle for VC.
Correct, they lost to Linden (NJ)

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/art ... asketball/

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

John Glenn is the clear favorite but the game will still be played on the court. Good luck to our VC friends and neighbors.

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/ ... grows.html

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

John Glenn on paper is better but last year JG struggled on the big court

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Raider6309 wrote:John Glenn on paper is better but last year JG struggled on the big court
This. In their 4 games at the Convo in the past 2 seasons, they have only gotten out of the 40's once, where they scored 53 in an OT win 2 years ago.

They are the favorite, but a VC win wouldn't shock me.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

That fact that they beat Indian Valley a 10 seed is irrelevant because they also beat 2 seed Meadowbrook and 3 seed Morgan in reg season in huge blowouts. I really think you guys are down playing how good JG is. This is a team that went on the road in Akron SVSM #1 team in the state and won.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

EasternDspy wrote:That fact that they beat Indian Valley a 10 seed is irrelevant because they also beat 2 seed Meadowbrook and 3 seed Morgan in reg season in huge blowouts. I really think you guys are down playing how good JG is. This is a team that went on the road in Akron SVSM #1 team in the state and won.
Athens played with ASVSM in Akron, then again with the Irish on The Plains the following year ... And we didn't even make it out of the sectionals that season. Who you played, who you beat means nothing now! Just ask Western Pike and its opponents over the last few weeks.

Good luck Vikes!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Anyone remember that so called awesome, unstoppable St. Clairsville team a few years ago? They came to the Convo and were upset big time in the semi's. I've watched it happen numerous times over the years. Pressure really mounts on the favorite if the underdog is still in the game in the fourth quarter.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

93Bulldog wrote:
EasternDspy wrote:That fact that they beat Indian Valley a 10 seed is irrelevant because they also beat 2 seed Meadowbrook and 3 seed Morgan in reg season in huge blowouts. I really think you guys are down playing how good JG is. This is a team that went on the road in Akron SVSM #1 team in the state and won.
Athens played with ASVSM in Akron, then again with the Irish on The Plains the following year ... And we didn't even make it out of the sectionals that season. Who you played, who you beat means nothing now! Just ask Western Pike and its opponents over the last few weeks.

Good luck Vikes!

Yea but Athens didn't beat ASVSM and John Glenn did. ASVSM also in the sweet 16 after destroying everyone in the district. I honestly think JG wins by 20.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

I don't think anyone is downplaying JG's skill. I think people are just pointing out that they are beatable. VC has been the lower seed in their last 3 games therefore underdogs and have found ways to win. I for one think they have a chance in this game as well. Although, very good, JG is not unbeatable.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

NewEra wrote:Lets keep in mind that Indian Valley was a 10 seed with a relatively easy road.
Could also keep in mind that JG played a game days after losing their AD to cancer and a fellow classmate... pretty rough week at JG.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

When is this game? Is it after Peake and Lynchburg on Wednesday?

ROLL PEAKE
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Double header Thurs 6:15 DeSales vs Steubenville 8:00 John Glenn vs Vinton County

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Watched both teams play. It will be closer than some think but if it's within 25 I'll be surprised. This is the best team I've ever seen come out of the east district

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Keep in mind - no shot clock in high school hoops.

Anyone old enough to remember what coach Joe Garett did at Belpre one year? I'd love to see VC and coach Combs try and duplicate the same strategy.

:mrgreen:

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Holding the ball vs JG will be harder to do, because you have to beat the press first.

Think VC has to hope they struggle to shoot it early in the convo, and it stays close so they make JG start to feel the pressure. Then maybe they press and do things out of character. But I'll be shocked if JG doesn't win by 30.

Return to “Boys Basketball”