SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Pioneer Valley Conf Updates

Post by EasternDspy »

River 62 MC 46

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Caldwell beat St. Johns 77-40. Score was 27-2 four minutes in and the starters were pulled for the game after playing only six minutes and leading 33-5. The freshmen and sophomores played the rest of the night. Curious as to who St. Johns has beaten? They have won two games and they are pretty awful. Caldwell never picked up past half court, did help that they hit seven three's in the first four minutes.

As for the game against Shenandoah the other night, it was about as exciting a finish as I've ever seen. Caldwell did a nice job taking away the three guards for the blimps (Hurst, Leasure, Neuhart) but kids like Thompson, Lueyster, Davis were hitting jumpers/three point shots. Caldwell was conceding those shots to those kids and to their credit they were knocking them down. Big third quarter allowed the Zeps to go up by 14 points with about five minutes to go. Caldwell picked up with full court man to man pressure and the Zeps panicked with several turnovers. Wiechman and Svercek came up big for Caldwell, the Zeps had no answer for Weichman as he finished with 23 points and 8 assists by my napkin stats and the less reliable Jeffersonian :) Caldwell tied the ball game with under five seconds to go on a Sawyer lay up off a Weichman assist. Caldwell was hurt in overtime without the use of Croucher (fouled out on a call that was clearly on Sawyer) and a three that put the Zeps back in front by Hurst. Caldwell missed a few free throws in the overtime that could have put them back in front. Still only down one with a minute to go Wiechman gets blatantly tripped coming off a ball screen, instead of a foul call and on the line in the double bonus the official calls a travel, Shenandoah salts it away at the line. As an observer the officiating in this game was really poor, they made bad calls and no calls all night long both ways. The bad part was the big ones in crunch time went against Caldwell (Sawyers foul given to croucher, the travel call on the trip, the non-call on the clothesline screen crum laid on Hesson to free Hurst for the go ahead triple in overtime, Wiechman sitting on the floor after falling down and Leasure sitting down on top of him for which Wiechman recieved his fifth foul with 50 seconds to go ending any chance of a Redskin win). That said, had Caldwell not missed multiple easy looks early in the game they wouldn't have been in that situation. Both teams played very well for two or three quarters and very poorly for one quarter. The finish was exciting and the crowd was huge, great atmosphere. I think the two coaches are both doing very nice jobs bringing some excitement back to hoops in noble county.

*On a side note the Zeps won the reserve game by around ten. They put the junior in junior varsity in Sarahsville haha.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Frontier 26 Fort Frye 74

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Trail 54 MC 52

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Caldwell @ Morgan tonight. Good luck to the Redskins.

Also would like to say congrats to the 8th grade team. Won their tournament at Buckeye Trail, making it 3 years in a row now. Good bit of talent coming up in these classes.

journeyman8675309
Riding the Bench

Post by journeyman8675309 »

I would like to get on here once and not here a Caldwell fan complaining about officiating. I was at the CHS and SHS game. The officials were fine. The game was a great high school basketball game. The crowd was embarrassing.
Good luck to both teams at their tournament draws Sunday!

3 for me
Riding the Bench

Post by 3 for me »

Caldwell beat Morgan last night and are 7-12 going into the tournament draw. Hoping to get the 5 seed to stay away from Rosecrans.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Caldwell will get the 5 and play Beallsville.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

1.Fort Frye- Will face the winner of Martins Ferry (6-11) vs West Muskingum (2-17) on 2/27....2.River- Got a great draw and will play 5-13 Bridgport. 3.Trail got a nice matchup vs Bellaire (2-16). 4.Shenandoah will face 6.MC which susprises me thought MC would want Trail again after just losing 52-54. 5.Caldwell - Has the toughest round 1 match up in Beallsville (17-1). 7.Frontier got the 8th seed and will play Barnesville.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

journeyman8675309 wrote:I would like to get on here once and not here a Caldwell fan complaining about officiating. I was at the CHS and SHS game. The officials were fine. The game was a great high school basketball game. The crowd was embarrassing.
Good luck to both teams at their tournament draws Sunday!
yeah, because no other fan base has done that. :roll:

Ill agree the refs werent that bad, but lets not pretend they were perfect either. A Shenandoah player set a screen knocking a Caldwell player down, which is perfectly fine. When he preceded to walk over and stomp on that players leg, that's what I have a problem with.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Yea I can agree the Shenandoah does have some players that act like goons.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye 64 Zeps 58

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

River crushed Shadyside and will play Linsly sat at 12 or OVAC 2a
A title.Also Caldwell with a really bad 2 OT loss to Wood County Christian.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Oh yea congrats to Frontier on the win over Wirt

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Great year for the conference. It's been awhile since the PVC had this many quality teams.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wheeling Central(2-17) beats Monroe 82-80...Cambridge 67 Trail 43

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

While they may not play top competition, WCC had some pretty decent players. At least 2, possibly 3 that would probably start on most PVC teams. Foul shooting and rebounding killed the Redskins. They had their chances, just couldn't convert. The WCC definitely came out and played with intensity. They improve to 20-4 on the year.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Yes and they have the top scorer in the Mtta. Times weekly results plus another that averages double figures.

Thou they play a soft schedule, they have played some other tough schools, a very good Williamstown H. S. for one.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

rickoshay wrote:Yes and they have the top scorer in the Mtta. Times weekly results plus another that averages double figures.

Thou they play a soft schedule, they have played some other tough schools, a very good Williamstown H. S. for one.
Split with Williamstown I believe. So I wouldn't really consider it a "bad" loss. Is it a game I think Caldwell should have won? Yes. But as we've seen, it seems they have trouble finishing games out. Having no bench can do that to you.

Return to “Boys Basketball”