Pioneer Valley Offseason BUZZ

Phoenix
JV Team

Re: Pioneer Valley Offseason BUZZ

Post by Phoenix »

frontier is too small. there is no way they will compete.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

When and where are the scrimmages for PVC teams this month? Caldwell has the following scrimmage schedule:
Saturday Nov. 19 home vs. Waterford
Tuesday Nov. 22 home vs. New Lexington
Saturday Nov. 26 @ West Muskingum with River View and Fairfield Christian
Tuesday Nov. 29 @ Crooksville with Trimble

*They are also playing a preview @ Shenandoah on Friday Nov. 25th, personally I feel like previews are a waste of time, and honestly what coach wants to play their league rival an extra time before season starts?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Merckle and Jefferson are better downlow then anything FF has.Frontier lacks guard skills bad.

Phoenix
JV Team

Post by Phoenix »

seems like you're switching teams kapono

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Yea cause I said Frontier is a year away and have horrible guard play.You're a moron Smith go read the rest of my stuff.

Phoenix
JV Team

Post by Phoenix »

i've read all of this. now lets be real. frontier was basically the fickeisen show last year. yea jefferson was the 2nd best, and there were a few other guys that stepped up at times. But now their leader is gone. to me its pretty much a brand new start for this team. you say jefferson is best down low, but do you really think thats where he will be played? you said the same thing about football, and everyone knows how that was. you think jefferson is the best athlete in washington county.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Caldwell should be improved from last season. They've got some good athleticism and guys that will get after it on defense. Depth could be an issue though. Not sure they'll go more than 7 deep maybe. Offensively still not sure who the "go to" guy will be, but they shouldn't be to bad. Weichman will only get better and Sawyer is pretty athletic for a big man and has a nice outside shot.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye had a scrimmage at Meadowbrook.They won 7 of 8 qts.Beat West M 41-21 in 4.Beat Meadowbrook 43-20.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Saw some great things out of the core 4(Smith,Eddy, Schwendeman,and Lang).All can really shoot and play defense. All you can hope for is they stay out of foul trouble.Not much on the bench but those 4 are excellent.Smith is going to have a great season.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Frontier beat Bellaire today 57-43.Jefferson scored 27.

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

Watch about about winning scrimmages. I think sometimes coaches are experimenting with things or are looking at different things. Not every coach "wins" scrimmages.

Not saying your boys didn't look good, but maybe things.....

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Always better to win then to lose for confidence reasons.

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

If they have confidence issues then maybe they are no as good as advertised.

Maybe the opposing coach sees what he likes and changes things up in middle qtr to work on something else.

Just saying, to many people (fans) put to much in scrimmages and their outcome.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

While it's true some coaches do try different things in scrimmages or use lineups they wouldn't necessarily use in the regular season, make no mistake about it, that they still play to win. If you're a coach and you go out there without the desire to win every time your team steps on the floor, you're in the wrong profession.

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

I know successful coaches that work on things in scrimmages. Maybe their half court trap, zone defense, full court defense needs work. I know they work on those no matter if opponent beats them or not. The team needs to work on things they work on them.
I drain 3's wrote:While it's true some coaches do try different things in scrimmages or use lineups they wouldn't necessarily use in the regular season, make no mistake about it, that they still play to win. If you're a coach and you go out there without the desire to win every time your team steps on the floor, you're in the wrong profession.
Are you a coach? My desire would be to do all I can to get team ready for real games.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

pitt87fan wrote:I know successful coaches that work on things in scrimmages. Maybe their half court trap, zone defense, full court defense needs work. I know they work on those no matter if opponent beats them or not. The team needs to work on things they work on them.
I drain 3's wrote:While it's true some coaches do try different things in scrimmages or use lineups they wouldn't necessarily use in the regular season, make no mistake about it, that they still play to win. If you're a coach and you go out there without the desire to win every time your team steps on the floor, you're in the wrong profession.
Are you a coach? My desire would be to do all I can to get team ready for real games.
And be okay with losing? You can work on things in scrimmages, and still try to win. It's not like it has to be one or the other. No coach should be okay with losing, whether it's a real game or a scrimmage.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Scrimmages don't mean jack. Real coaches experiment with different combinations, try different things, work to improve weaknesses in their team. Do you expect your kids to compete? Hell yes you do. Do you do everything you can to "win" a scrimmage, that's laughable. Am curious as to where you get the stats for a scrimmage that you weren't at? I've never seen a coaching staff keep scrimmage stats and I've been around a lot of good programs. You also have situations where certain kids aren't there playing for certain reasons, I know West M's best player Shey Herd was not there for West yesterday, neither was another starter for non-basketball related reasons. Just get a kick out of this, you see it in football too.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Nowhere did I say they do "everything" to win a scrimmage, but to think that it doesn't matter whether they win or lose, is laughable, imo. Maybe i'm more competitive than other people, but from the ones i've been around, they try different things at the beginning, and then once it gets later on into the scrimmage or whatever it may be, that's when things get serious.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Wasn't directed at you dude, it was directed at EDSpy.......i hate stats, especially from meaningless scrimmages. Scrimmages are chances to put kids in different situations, see how they react. I think your last scrimmage should be treated as a game situation but those prior are practice sessions.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

That's just what I was told about the Frontier game just reporting did not mean to offend so many.

Return to “Boys Basketball”