John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:
CavalierAlum05 wrote:This is where being Vinton County catches up to them.
They can compete very well in the district year end and out. Regionals are a differnt ball game.
Was there last trip to the regionals in 2008? That year they lost by 47....in the regionals :shock:

JG by 24
Yes, Cavalier Alum. Yes. Just as you stated, we tend to compete at the district year in and year out. However, the regionals are different, because just like that 2008 team, you tend to face teams that are not "homegrown." Chillicothe was the beneficiary of transfers and won the state. It seems that John Glenn may happen to have, fortunately, two Zanesville transfers. In which, if John Glenn does beat Vinton County will probably have to at some point face a selective enrollment school just like Warren did in 2013, or John Glenn in 2014, or John Glenn, again, in 2011, Zanesville in 2010, Chillicothe in 2007 and so on. We at Vinton County, are not suppose to win. We do not get transfers, we do not have a lot of resources, we do not have the premium athlete that will earn those DI scholarships, but what we do have is, is a bunch of kids that will stick their nose in and compete, and but win or lose, we have each other.
Chilli only had one "not homegrown" kid during their runs. Ray Chambers from Cincy. Hump was born and raised in Ross County.
VC will play hard I am sure. But it will not be enough. You will travel better than them though!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Hitchens was from Zane Trace. There's no such thing as home grown talent the closer you get to state
Last edited by Raider6309 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Raider6309 wrote:Yeah Pick North isn't very good. SVSM was a good win but they aren't the same team as last year.
Pick North isn't awful. They play in the occ, are D1, and had wins over pick central and Newark. They're not a great team by any means, but they are better than their record may give the impression of.
ASVSM is still very good and have some very big bodies.
Their only 4 losses are to troy, dematha (baltimore, md, who has put out some big time talents in basketball, JG and St ignatius. Not too shabby for a team who's not the same.

fish82
Waterboy

Post by fish82 »

hateraid wrote: Are they transfers too? :oops:
Sucks that no one wants to move to Vinton County I guess. :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Falcon01 wrote:Pick North isn't awful. They play in the occ, are D1, and had wins over pick central and Newark. They're not a great team by any means, but they are better than their record may give the impression of.
Their only 4 losses are to troy, dematha (baltimore, md, who has put out some big time talents in basketball, JG and St ignatius. Not too shabby for a team who's not the same.
They lost two D1 athletes from a nationally ranked team. This year they go as Baddley goes. They aren't as deep. Athens is pretty familiar with SVSM

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Pick North isn't very good
I have no problem saying they're arguably better than anyone in the southeast district. Pick North may not be a powerhouse at Division 1, but they have a good resume and frankly you're just trying discount how good of a win they are for John Glenn.
fish82 wrote:
hateraid wrote: Are they transfers too? :oops:
Sucks that no one wants to move to Vinton County I guess. :lol:
Careful... (yes, he bit off more than he could chew with that one; and yes, the "we play by X rules even though we agreed to play by Y parameters" [a non-open enroll school playing open-enroll/privates] is really stupid.)

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Raider6309 wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:Pick North isn't awful. They play in the occ, are D1, and had wins over pick central and Newark. They're not a great team by any means, but they are better than their record may give the impression of.
They lost two D1 athletes from a nationally ranked team. This year they go as Baddley goes. They aren't as deep. Athens is pretty familiar with SVSM
Doubt anyone will say they aren't as deep. But discounting them because they lost a couple great players isn't fair either, especially when their resume backs it up.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Glenn reminds me of those loaded Athens football teams. Will they finally get over the regional final hump. If they beat Vinton I hope Glenn wins state

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Raider6309 wrote:Hitchens was from Zane Trace. There's no such thing as home grown talent the closer you get to state
false. but this is way off topic.

i will be rooting for VC in this one. but i dont see it!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

formerfcfan, EasternSpy, Falcon, can anyone answer my question?

I'm just curious if all these boys are John Glenn (New Concord) lifers. This is not an attempt to stir the pot, I'm just curious! Looking like 3 D1 basketball players, a D2 player, and a D1 soccer player. That's an insane amount of talent!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
J_Manziel2
Freshman Team

Post by J_Manziel2 »

Yes Vinton County has a chance. About 1%. No offense but if you haven't seen John Glenn play, I wouldn't make these bold predictions. Might look silly Friday morning.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

If John Glen loses it will go down as a huge choke job (to most folks)
If VC loses, it won't matter because they were supposed to.

I think Vinton County can make a ballgame of it.

You JG fans better be glad that the muskie coaching staff isn't overlooking the Vikings like yall are.

GO TVC!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

bbjunky81 wrote:formerfcfan, EasternSpy, Falcon, can anyone answer my question?

I'm just curious if all these boys are John Glenn (New Concord) lifers. This is not an attempt to stir the pot, I'm just curious! Looking like 3 D1 basketball players, a D2 player, and a D1 soccer player. That's an insane amount of talent!
Two of their players played 9th grade at Zanesville, may have done 10th grade there as well. They enrolled into JG last year to start the school year. So they're not necessarily "lifers", but they were on last year's team.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

formerfcfan wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:formerfcfan, EasternSpy, Falcon, can anyone answer my question?

Two of their players played 9th grade at Zanesville, may have done 10th grade there as well. They enrolled into JG last year to start the school year. So they're not necessarily "lifers", but they were on last year's team.
I was thinking the Blevins boy was from Zanesville but wasn't sure.

Are the seniors all originally from there? Weir, Blatt, Rackley, Slack? If so that is one LOADED senior class!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Weir, and I think Blatt, are the ZHS kids.

I don't know re: Blevins.

3muskies
Waterboy

Post by 3muskies »

Weir and Blatt are the only kids that weren't already in the east Muskingum(john glenn) system prior to high school. Im pretty sure Weirs family actually moved to new concord a couple years ago. I don't know if blatt is open enrolled or lives in the district.
I have a Zanesville address, live about a mile from a Zanesville school and am still in JG school district.

Fear the fish
JG by 30

ferflog
JV Team

Post by ferflog »

No upset in this one.

John Glenn by 32.

DeSales by 12.

You can take the boy out of the 'ville, but you can't take the 'ville out of the boy!!
Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Coach Combs is a great coach & the Vinton County program is one of the best in SEO.

Coach Woodard is also a great coach & John Glenn is one of the best programs in Southeastern/Eastern Ohio.

With that said, this John Glenn team is a "once in a generation type". It doesn't matter what VC draws up or throws at them. THIS Muskie team is too good. I hope it's a good game but I think JG takes this one something like, 78-43.

Here are some John Glenn Regular Season Statistics...

Drew Rackley - 21.9 PPG, 43 made 3's while shooting 41% from 3. Shooting 54% overall. 79% FT, 6.8 RPG, 3.2 APG, 2.2 SPG

Matt Weir - 15.3 PPG, 47 made 3's while shooting 47% from 3. Shooting 52% overall. 83% FT, 5.0 RPG, 7 APG, 2.4 SPG

Tanner Slack - 15 PPG, 55 made 3's while shooting 52.4% from 3. Shooting 59.5 overall. 5.1 RPG, 2.6 APG, 2.3 SPG

Austin Blatt & Jah Blevins - Both around 10 PPG. Blatt 56% shooter overall, Blevins 54.6%. Blatt 36% from 3. Blevins 74% Free-throws. Both around 5 RPG. Blevins 3.1 APG. Blatt 3.1 SPG, Blevins 2.2.

You can watch some video of John Glenn here..... http://storiedrivals.com/sports/mbkb/jo ... 5-16/index

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I was able to watch a bunch of John Glenn film yesterday since I haven't seen them in awhile, and boy are they fun to watch.

Vinton County typically has the athletes to want to run with teams, I just don't think that's a good idea here. Combs is a solid coach, he will recognize that. They need to break the pressure, get in a half court, reverse the crap out of the ball and find the great shot every time. If they start turning it over or take quick/undisciplined shots, it will get ugly.

My prediction:

John Glenn 66
Vinton CO 42

ThatVikingsGuy
Waterboy

Post by ThatVikingsGuy »

ferflog wrote:No upset in this one.

John Glenn by 32.

DeSales by 12.
32? Highly doubtful. JG is good and will when this game but they play awful in the convo historically. The Vikings are not a bad team. They will come within 15

Return to “Boys Basketball”