Should Unioto join the SCOL?

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Should Unioto join the SCOL?

Post by Jerry Newman »

I was reading the thread about Chillicothe looking to join the SCOL and thought Unioto might look to do the same thing. Looking at the numbers, they would be even a better fit than Chillicothe.

South Central Ohio League
BOYS GIRLS
Hillsboro 302 285
McClain 258 226
Clinton-Massie 221 220
Miami Trace 302 293
Washington CH 265 250
East Clinton 182 160

Unioto 241 249

Chillicothe 339 367
Wilmington 357 361

London 248 217
Madison-Plains 165 166

***London and MP are leaving after this year. East Clinton will be in next year and Wilmington and Chillicothe are under consideration to join in 2013.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Re: Should Unioto join the SCOL?

Post by Jerry Newman »

Now look at Unioto's enrollment when compared to members of the SVC:
Unioto 241 249
Paint Valley 132 123
Southeastern 149 144
Huntington 153 138
Adena 155 153

Looks like the SCOL would be a much better fit than their current league.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

There is no real reason to move currently, but in about 4-5 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see either the SVC add 2 and move to a big school/small school 2 division system or see Unioto move to the SCOL. Unioto is the most central school in the SVC and it has no travel time to any school of more than 35 minutes by bus, while the shortest trip for them in the SCOL would be 30+ miles.

Unioto's enrollment will boom again in a few(4-5) years and that's when I think a move could happen. But, for now, they are still D4 in football(like Westfall, Zane Trace, and Piketon)

Enrollment wise, it would be a better fit, but money wise, it would be an awful fit. More gas, much smaller gates as well. I think it will eventually happen, but I'm still holding out hope for the SVC to expand to bring in an Eastern or a Waverly(wishful thinking there) and go to the 2 division setup.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

I agree danicalifornia, just doesnt make sense for them. Be nice to add a couple of schools and go to a big and small division.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Honestly, if Unioto was dominating anything other than Golf, CC and Track, then I could see a possible force out, but there is no domination in any other sport.

Football, last title, 1998(co with Adena)
Volleyball, last title, 1999(co, with Adena of course)
Boys Basketball, before this year, last title was 94-95
Girls Basketball, they have been very strong recently
Baseball, last title, 2006
Softball, not even sure when the last title was. Not recent though

I know Unioto is bigger, but it hasn't exactly equalled mass league titles. The All Sport Banner dominance comes from the running sports, which Unioto excels at and just being consistent in the others. Heck, the football team just broke a 21 game losing streak in 2009!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Boys cross country and Track they have dominated the last 10 or more years. Golf, take Piketons 3 league championships out and they have dominated that sport. Girls cross country and track, minus ZT last year has been very good. Cant say, from the running sports, that 4 sports! lol

Girls basketball, top of the league for the last 6 or so years, not counting this. Volleyball, always right behind Adena, no one has won a league title since Unioto has in volleyball since 99! lol Softball, always near the top of the pack.

Unioto is not a dominate force in the big 3 of boys sports, as pointed out by dani.

I dont think you can use the all sports banner as a reason for Unioto to leave.

I dont see another team being added to the SVC, most certainly not Waverly if I have anything to say about it! lol That gate is a cash cow for me, it would be diminished if it were added as a league game, the only reason I wouldnt want them in there. We (Piketon) play them in nearly every sport already! The difference is we can stop playing them for a year or two and when we pick it back up, we bring in nearly 3000 people to the football game!

Eastern doesnt have football, no small school in the area has football.

zeb
Waterboy

Post by zeb »

Jerry Newman wrote:Now look at Unioto's enrollment when compared to members of the SVC:
Unioto 241 249
Paint Valley 132 123
Southeastern 149 144
Huntington 153 138
Adena 155 153

Maybe those 4 schools should look for another league. I don't know why it has to be Unioto's responsibility to leave when they seem to be doing fine. If there are schools that can no longer compete, maybe they should look to find a conference where they are a better fit.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

crazymidgets wrote:I agree danicalifornia, just doesnt make sense for them. Be nice to add a couple of schools and go to a big and small division.
This would be ideal. Waverly would be a nice addition to add to the big school side. I do not know who else they would get for the big half. Possibilities could include Greenfield McClain, Vinton County or Logan Elm. Location wise, Beaver Eastern and Latham Western would be nice additions for the small school side. I do not know what the solution would be for football, though.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

zeb wrote:
Jerry Newman wrote:Now look at Unioto's enrollment when compared to members of the SVC:
Unioto 241 249
Paint Valley 132 123
Southeastern 149 144
Huntington 153 138
Adena 155 153

Maybe those 4 schools should look for another league. I don't know why it has to be Unioto's responsibility to leave when they seem to be doing fine. If there are schools that can no longer compete, maybe they should look to find a conference where they are a better fit.
It is Unioto's reponsibility because they seem to be the one school that is out of place. Look no further than the boy's basketball brackets if you want to see what I mean. 7 SVC teams all playing in the Division 3 tournament, 1 playing in the Division 2 tournament. It's kind of funny that the league champion couldn't win a game in the tournament. Maybe they are playing in the wrong league. It would be like if Ohio State played in the MAC. Sure, as far as location, it would be great. Would it really be the right league, though?
Also, you say these 4 teams should find another league. What are the remaining teams going to do then? Unioto, Piketon, Westfall and Piketon would only have four teams.

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

If Unioto was dominating the league every year, then I would say they are totally out of place in the SVC. So they are obviously not that dominant. And they were co-champs this year, not outright champs. Personally, I think the league is pretty good the way it is.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Merge CHS and Unioto. I say it all the time! Join back with the OCC and start winning titles

zeb
Waterboy

Post by zeb »

All I'm saying is that Unioto has been in the SVC since the beginning. Just because their enrollment has grown, they shouldn't have to uproot and go play in another league, causing them to have to travel further, create less revenue, etc..... To use your example, it would be more like if Ohio State had always been in the MAC. Should they be asked to leave because they got bigger and other MAC schools got smaller. If those small schools could no longer compete, they would have to make a decision. Otherwise, they would have to try to the best with what they had.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

zeb wrote:All I'm saying is that Unioto has been in the SVC since the beginning. Just because their enrollment has grown, they shouldn't have to uproot and go play in another league, causing them to have to travel further, create less revenue, etc..... To use your example, it would be more like if Ohio State had always been in the MAC. Should they be asked to leave because they got bigger and other MAC schools got smaller. If those small schools could no longer compete, they would have to make a decision. Otherwise, they would have to try to the best with what they had.
Pretend that OSU had been in the MAC. Don't you think they would be at the point where they should be looking at other options instead of continuing to play in a league that is clearly too small for them?

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

I know would be way easier to add the bigger schools than the smaller ones.
if your not dominating your league now, what is the call for more competition? 1st svc title in how many yrs and it was shared! How long since a football title? id say wait till you start dominating the smaller schools before you start saying we need better competition. kinda cart before the mule i think. Lol osu and the mac.......

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Rabeanos12 wrote:Merge CHS and Unioto. I say it all the time! Join back with the OCC and start winning titles
HECK NO!!! LOL...we Cavaliers are just fine the way we are!!!

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

I know I know bvm4life. but Can you imagine how good we would be in DI!!>>??? lol. I have just always liked the idea. But it would never happen. Oh well....goin for another title on the 9th. See you there!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Unioto was in the SCOL in 74-76

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

on another site it says that clinton massie is trying to get into swbl with schools around the dayton area. it seems like every time east clinton makes a move it causes problems. they just joined the scol. maybe clinton massie just doesn't want anything to do with east clinton. also wilmington and chillicothe have applied for the scol. lot of bad blood between scol and wilmington . when the scol started back up they ttied to get wilmington to join and wilmington snubbed them.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Nope lets leave the SVC alone.

Great Gates and rivalries plus the travel expense fits well for the SVC schools budgets.

Something to think about:
Im not sure on Unioto's open enrollment numbers but I belive Unioto's open enrollment numbers to be the highest in our county.
Lets say each grade on average has 20 to 30 (i could be way off on those numbers) open enrollment students in it.
If we were to change leagues and in a few years open enrollment policies change (Be it State Policies or School DistrictsWe could find ourselves a very small school in a league where we are not competitive and going broke with the decreased gates and increased travel expenses.

Like I said I'm not 100% sure on our open enrollment numbers but I think they play significant role as to us being a small D2 school or a large D3 school. And Unioto was not a constant D2 school until the current open enrollment policies were in place.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

One more thought...............
The only way I see the SVC changing is if the Public Schools of Ross County (Including Chillicothe) consolidate into just three schools. Then the SVC Could look something like this
Ross North Eastern
Ross South Western
Unioto Central (It would be hard to get use to the Central part)
Westfall
Piketon
Waverly
McClain
Vinton County

Return to “Boys Basketball”