Ohio University Team Camp

redskinwitness
Varsity

Ohio University Team Camp

Post by redskinwitness »

The Ohio team camp is this weekend. What area teams will be making the trip to play in the convocation center and the ping center? I know out of the P.V.C. both Caldwell an Shenandoah will be going. Coach said his brother was taking West M down there too. Hope I get to catch a few games when I pick the boys up Sunday.

Lightle04
SE

Re: Ohio University Team Camp

Post by Lightle04 »

Eastern Pike varsity and jv.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Vinton County will be there.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ty Webb wrote:Vinton County will be there.
Are we allowed to watch the games?

Can we put in a request for an Athens vs Vinton game?

Can I sit by you Ty Webb if it goes through?

:mrgreen:

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Cancelled

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I understand they can't do anything about the power going out but fact of the matter was that the power came back on at 7:15 this morning and the first games were scheduled for 8 a.m. why not play them? My biggest issue was that we had kids there with no food in a dorm that was about 120 degrees an were not told the night before that it was going to be cancelled (we were told that some coaches were told this which would explain why some teams left last night). We found out when we went to the first game an there was nobody there, they made no phone calls or anything. We had kids waiting over three hours on rides to show up to take them home. All we were told was that they didn't know if they would be able to refund any money. Each player paid $215 to attend this camp, they received zero meals and played exactly three of the 20 scheduled games. We paid a $645 deposit for three players which we won't get back but they won't be cashing the remaining $2900 check we gave them yesterday.

The sad part is that the basketball aspect of the camp is great. Competition and facilities are outstanding. They need to be more organized, it used to be ran very well but they dropped the ball on this one. Several coaches there were very upset and said they would never go back.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

You "understand", but you are going to bitch anyway? The entire area was hit with a devastating storm, the entire city is without power (90% of Athens County without power), University is closed for emergencies, and you want to bitch about playing basketball?

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I am sure a tough situation for all. The camps are expensive, but they do have bills to pay. I doubt men's basketball had any extra dollars to put in their pockets after refunds and paying the university. It was a shame though. They had a great lineup of teams who I am sure were eager to test themselves against each other. The real tragedy though is the power outage, my 70 year old mother is still without power.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

You are right, the power out sucks for everyone. I am going to be not very happy when kids and families who don't have extra money aren't given refunds for not getting what they paid for. No issue if it is made right but since it was not then yes I have a problem with it, wouldn't you? Everyone was stuck there, the power came back on early in the facilities, they could have just played the games. Since they decided to cancel they should refund the money plain and simple, at least refund the majority of it. How would you feel if you paid that kind of cash and your kid played in three 16 minute long games? Just curious

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Pol Pot wrote:You "understand", but you are going to witch anyway? The entire area was hit with a devastating storm, the entire city is without power (90% of Athens County without power), University is closed for emergencies, and you want to witch about playing basketball?

Why don't you pony the money up and give it back. If they keep their money for no camp they might as well put a mask on because they flat out robbed them.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I did pay, and mine didn't get to play at all. We had a 6 pm start at grover. The camp is at the mercy of Ohio University, Coach Christian will do what he can i am sure.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Refunds will have to go through account receivable and all the appropriate paperwork of a government entity, it's not a mom n pop shop where they simply open the cash register and hand out money. If you are that worried about it, place a stop payment on your check since services were not rendered. It's not that hard, and as I stated there were bigger issues in Athens County than getting some of you playing time. spartan gets it, and as he says JC will do what he can to make it right, some just look for reasons to whine and complain.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

We understand the situation, what was not good was how it was handled. No communication at all. We were not told by anyone from camp that it was cancelled and we were there the whole night. As for the refund situation, I put the stop payment on the check Saturday morning, that's not a problem. They will keep the deposit. As for them making it right for the rest of the teams that did not do that (most teams have their players make the checks out directly to the camp itself, we happen to have our boosters club do it and the parents pay the boosters) we received an email stating that they can't make camp up because of NCAA rules on players being on campus. Also said that now that all of these players stayed on campus over night, albeit with no services rendered, they are now considered prospects according to NCAA rules and OU can not refund their money based on that fact........so pretty much they are saying those teams who couldn't put stop payments on checks are screwed.........

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Anyone who wrote a check can place a stop payment, booster clubs including. And yes, the NCAA rules are extensive and do cover stays on campus and what makes them prospects. There are still ways around this, but it takes time to get the appropriate waivers from the NCAA offices.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Just got a call from OU they are refunding all but $21. Good news.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Glad to see OU could give the money back. When my kids were in high school they attended this camp every year. It was always a good camp where they got to play a lot of ball over a 2 or 3 day period against some very good competition. I would recommend this camp.

Return to “Boys Basketball”