Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Preseason 13-14

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Preseason 1

Post by pfloyd »

Can "Previews" be 4 quarter games? or are they limited to 2 quarters only? ...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Floyd, did you ever witness a game at the old Valhalla (VCHS)? Nicknamed, "The Balcony".

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:Floyd, did you ever witness a game at the old Valhalla (VCHS)? Nicknamed, "The Balcony".
I just watched an old game between VC and Trimble on Nelsonville T.V. cable in McArthur ... that place looked sooooo cool!

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Dundas, do the biddy teams still play at "the Balcony" outside MacArthur ? if THAT is the school gym you are talking about I HAVE watched games there ...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The old school is right in the middle of town. They do play biddy league games there but you may be thinking of the old Jr high which was a pretty cool place too. The old Jr high gym looked just like the pit at Zane Trace.

The old high school gym had about 10 rows of bleaches on both sides of the court, a stage at one end like at Meigs, and on the other end was a balcony with two sets of steps on both sides with, I'm guessing, 500 seats up there. It was a crazy setup! The players shooting on that end were literally staring into hundreds of fans through the backboard. It was a cool place to watch a game from, even though the view from the near side wasn't very good. Lol

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The foundation game is a scrimmage that raises funds for the OHSAA foundation. This is the scrimmage that would be closest to a game. Also previews, which are also a scrimmage, will be very similar to a game.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

pfloyd wrote:..... the Warrior Dome - old, small BUT that all adds up to a loud atmosphere, exciting basketball games - I love that place for watching a game - everyone gets to know everyone by games end LOL ... WarriorBlue I KNOW about Fort Frye but I only looked at teams that play in the Southeast District from the counties ... adding FF to Washington County WOULD move them UP the list absolutely! Marietta is an unknown product in the preseason - I again agree with you that Coach Duckworth WILL have the Tigers believing and playing contending basketball by seasons end - Duck's Tigers has all kinds of size, I need to see if the BIGS are able to play the type of defense Duck will demand for 4 quarters ... I also have questions about the Marietta PG position ... Duck WILL get things going in the right direction for the Tigers, I'm going to make sure I get to Sutton to watch Coach Duckworth's boyz this coming season, lend my support to Coach Duckworth, coach has ALWAYS supported me, I will definitely provide MY support to Coach Duckworth - right now I have Marietta sitting on the end table in the preseason poll (that was before Coach Duckworth was hired at MHS) Marietta will move up into the Treehugger rankings with the first season opening ranking just on the Coach Duckworth hire - he will make that much difference in what we will see from the Tigers ...

PFloyd and our dear deluged friend 93Dog scoffed at my mention of "Ducks" OHSAA DII JV COY AWARD. Sometimes I think he has seen so much green that it discombobulates his cranium. Lol

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

11. Pike County (13) ... Piketon/Eastern Pike/Waverly

Im going out on a limb, and say that Western will be taking the 2 spot by Decembers Holiday Classic. Seen some very good ball played by the Indians this summer..... The youngsters who were so mistake prone last year, have been playing D2 and D3 schools all summer, and have improved dramatically. Dont get me wrong, still improvements to be made, and I am not naive to think that they will WIN THE STATE or anything. But, everyone should see an improved Western team this year.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Since we're talking old school...pfloyd, you need to make it up to the Mill Street Gymnasium here in Circleville for one of the last games before the new high school opens in January. The Mill Street Gym is the old home of the Tigers. It has the balcony on both sides with the poles, very little parking, so you park along the street and walk in. Has a great old school feel. One of my favorite spots to watch a game.

Friday, December 13 - Logan Elm at Circleville
Thursday, January 2 - Washington CH at Circleville

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Jim's Gym is nice at Logan but I gotta admit I liked going to the Katie as well. Logan Elm could really fill up that big home side for sectional games, and also got to watch some good district/regional volleyball there with Westfall.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Jim's Gym is nice at Logan but I gotta admit I liked going to the Katie as well. Logan Elm could really fill up that big home side for sectional games, and also got to watch some good district/regional volleyball there with Westfall.
Jim Myers or Katie Smith Gymnasium doesn't hold a candle to the stage in Logan ... that place had charisma and character like no other ... lol

frog
Waterboy

Post by frog »

The "stage" in Logan became quite the delight. It was used by the freshmen teams to practice in before the "new" building was built.
Practicing hoops on warped floors, puddles when it rained, no heat, (ever practiced with gloves and hats on) lol It DID have a great deal of
character. :122249

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

frog wrote:The "stage" in Logan became quite the delight. It was used by the freshmen teams to practice in before the "new" building was built.
Practicing hoops on warped floors, puddles when it rained, no heat, (ever practiced with gloves and hats on) lol It DID have a great deal of
character. :122249
Someone correct me if I'am wrong. Was it the stage in Logan or am i thinking of Lancaster where the toilet in the restroom sit right out in the middle of the floor with no stall walls around it. That visual saw by a young child may be whats wrong with 93bulldog still to this day.............

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LOL!

I always knew something was wrong with ol 93Dog ... way to bring suppressed memoires to life G.W.A ...

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Looks like the menu for NEW Head Coaches for 2013-14 is now complete with the filling of the McClain position by Joe Wisecup ... approximately 20% or 1/5 of schools Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line will have New court side leaders this season ...

Marietta High School - Mark Duckworth
Alexander - Jim Kearns
Wheelersburg - Coach Ater
Southeastern -Jaren Cox
Circleville - Joe Goodyear
Lynchburg Clay - Matt Carson
Gallia Academy - Gary Harrison
Jackson - Phil Howard
Eastern Reedsville - Jeremy Hill
Huntington - Todd Kellough
South Webster - Ryan Fenton
Chillicothe: Eric Huffer
Westfall - Trevor Younkin
Piketon - Bud Brabson
Greenfield McClain - Joe Wisecup
River Valley - Aaron Quinn (is this correct?)

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Didn't River Valley get a new coach too? Quinn?

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

unch of changes on the sidelines this off season

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Well, I hate to say it, but hoops is about to be put on hold as 'football hysteria' takes over southeastern Ohio ... I have my fingers crossed that no basketball players from any teams get hurt playing on the gridiron this fall!

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

WarriorBlue wrote:Didn't River Valley get a new coach too? Quinn?
Yes Aaron Quinn. Played at Rio and helped coach there for a couple seasons I think.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tubby - thanks for confirming the RV hire being Aaron Quinn ... wishing nothing but the best for ALL of the NEW Hires that will pacing court side this winter in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ...

Looks like the menu for NEW Head Coaches for 2013-14 is now complete with the filling of the McClain position by Joe Wisecup ... approximately 20% or 1/5 of schools Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line will have New court side leaders this season ...

Marietta High School - Mark Duckworth
Alexander - Jim Kearns
Wheelersburg - Coach Ater
Southeastern -Jaren Cox
Circleville - Joe Goodyear
Lynchburg Clay - Matt Carson
Gallia Academy - Gary Harrison
Jackson - Phil Howard
Eastern Reedsville - Jeremy Hill
Huntington - Todd Kellough
South Webster - Ryan Fenton
Chillicothe: Eric Huffer
Westfall - Trevor Younkin
Piketon - Bud Brabson
Greenfield McClain - Joe Wisecup
River Valley - Aaron

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”