DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

indianabuck
All State

Re: DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

Post by indianabuck »

Can Westfall get number 1 over Nelsonville?

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

I would still have
1. Nelsonville
2. Westfall. 18-3
3. Southeastern16-4
4. Alexander 14-6
5. Crooksville
6. Belpre. 16-5
7. River valley

I think the 2 looks better than the 1, that's why Alexander wants it so bad, but no way that should happen with 6 losses , not after tonight

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

If Westfall had three losses at the draw and Alex four, I could justify putting Alex ahead of Westfall due to head-to-head. But Westfall's win over Unioto and having three losses compared to six for Alexander should give Westfall the leg up.

If we based seedings just on head-to-head meetings we would have some awkward seedings.

My top six seeds would be:

1. NY
2. Westfall
3. Southeastern
4. Alexander
5. Belpre
6. Crooksville
Last edited by bman on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Belpre (16-5) beating (15-4) Southern last night was a nice win for the Golden Eagles ... tough sectional when a team with 16 wins is a projected 6 seed.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Westfall knocked off league leader DII Unioto last night. The will take the 2 seed. To many TVC teams for NY not to be the 1 seed. Belpre did have a nice win but Southern is DIV and they lost to Southern away earlier. You're right though tough being a 6 seed. I think the top 4 seed are good as bman has listed but don't be shocked if 4,5 and 6 are mixed with Alex possible dropping to 5 or 6. It will be interesting.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

athens78 wrote:Westfall knocked off league leader DII Unioto last night. The will take the 2 seed. To many TVC teams for NY not to be the 1 seed. Belpre did have a nice win but Southern is DIV and they lost to Southern away earlier. You're right though tough being a 6 seed. I think the top 4 seed are good as bman has listed but don't be shocked if 4,5 and 6 are mixed with Alex possible dropping to 5 or 6. It will be interesting.
I'll say Belpre gets the five now. Crooksville is 9-11 and three of the wins are against Millersport and Grove City Christian. If it was a little more even I'd go with Crooksville, but not a seven-win gap.
Last edited by bman on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Crooksville also lost to Caldwell ... Who Belpre beat 70-47 and 80-58 ... That is enough to put a (16-5) Belpre team over Crooksville.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

All I have to say is thank goodness they do not let fans vote for it. It is shocking how blind most of you are to the actual thought process of coaches in this voting. I have been there, you cannot convince me that coach Blue would ever vote herself over Alexander after losing by 20 to them. Yes, she may feel that at this point in the season that Westfall is better, but she will never vote herself over Alex. You guys sit on here an play out all these scenarios of who beat who and when they beat them and if it was over Christmas break or on a Monday night....coaches do not look into excuses or he said/she said stuff. Thank goodness.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Coaches look out for their team. Westfall will be the 2 seed even without voting for themselves. Alex mad a lot of teams mad running up the score on them with starters in late. They will see what Karma is all about Sunday when the get their seeding.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

This has already been done, online by noon yesterday I believe. I would almost guarantee Westfall voted themselves ahead of Alexander or at least they should have. Have to wait and see Sunday when they pick up their packets if all the phone calls helped. I think Southeastern is a year away from being really good but I wouldn't mind seeing an Alexander Southeastern rematch From last year (Alex won by 2) in the 4/5 slot, would be a good game

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

CavsFan08 wrote:All I have to say is thank goodness they do not let fans vote for it. It is shocking how blind most of you are to the actual thought process of coaches in this voting. I have been there, you cannot convince me that coach Blue would ever vote herself over Alexander after losing by 20 to them. Yes, she may feel that at this point in the season that Westfall is better, but she will never vote herself over Alex. You guys sit on here an play out all these scenarios of who beat who and when they beat them and if it was over Christmas break or on a Monday night....coaches do not look into excuses or he said/she said stuff. Thank goodness.
According to that logic, Va Tech should have made the NCAA championship football tournament before Ohio State did. You know, sometimes the better team doesn't always win. I'd say Alexander upsetting Westfall was an example of that.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

How in the hell is (9-12) Crooksville a 5 seed ... and (16-5) Belpre a 7 seed?

That is the most ridiculous seeding I think I have ever seen.

Crooksville 39, Caldwell 42
Crooksville 51, Miller 36

Belpre 70, Caldwell 47
Belpre 80, Caldwell 58
Belpre 72, Miller 34
Belpre 65, Miller 30

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog, you seem to have the early news. Share them with the rest of us, so we can see when/who the girls will be playing.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

SEODAB or wkkj.com will have brackets up soon. I just got a few texts from coaches who are in Jackson.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I heard River Valley got a vote for the #1 seed lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I will be in Jackson next Sunday for the boys draw and will post results as soon as I am handed the brackets.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

You think she voted for herself, what a joke

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bulldog.....it is possible Belpre thought the #4 seed and the #2 seed would be about the same and maybe the figured #2 seed is a slightly better matchup than the figured #4 seed.....and the next round is where it gets more important as they would face the #3 seed instead of a #1

No idea but this is a possibility and coaches do this math. (Not in any way saying they did but it's feasible)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:I heard River Valley got a vote for the #1 seed lol
I received multiple messages saying the same thing, I92.

That is ridiculous.

It throws off everything. Not only did Belpre get screwed, IMO ... How would you like to be rewarded with the No. 2 seed and have to face a (16-5) team?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:Bulldog.....it is possible Belpre thought the #4 seed and the #2 seed would be about the same and maybe the figured #2 seed is a slightly better matchup than the figured #4 seed.....and the next round is where it gets more important as they would face the #3 seed instead of a #1
No, not possible ... Belpre did not want to be a seven seed ... I'm pretty sure of that. I've had a few conversations with coach Murray and he felt his team was a top five team in this sectional.

Return to “Girls Basketball”