DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

bman
SEO

Re: DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

Post by bman »

CavsFan08 wrote:
nickle back wrote:This was a big cluster from the start with the two idiots that tried to dictate the seedings. the entire seeding process for this sectional was a joke, starting with river valley not only voting themselves the 1seed but, then Alexander, Wellston & River Valley voting Southeastern the 6. I predict this will be even a bigger mess next year when WF, SE, & Crooksville start playing the game. if I were these 3 teams I know who my 8,9,& 10 seeds would be but like others have stated it is good thing they don't let fans vote. It is set, so good luck to all.

See this really shows what you know because everything will change next year with the SE district only having 2 sectionals again instead of 3. Also, OHSAA will be re-aligning all divisions next year as well. So many of these teams may not be in the same sectional or division even. Maybe Westfall, and SE will be put with Hunt. and Piketon so they can 'team up' just like you say the TVC did against the might SVC this year.

Not saying I agree with what the RV coach did, but in the end she voted the way she thought would give her kids the best chance to win a tournament game. She wanted to avoid playing NY or Alex a 3rd time in a season. I know coach Evans-Moore and I am sure she doesn't think her team is the best team in the sectional by any means, but giving her team 10 points helped them jump down to the 6 seed instead of 7. Her team now has to play 1 game to get out of sectional instead of 2.

The problem is the way the SE district tallied the votes with giving points for places. So the RV coach gave herself a 1 seed? If they happen to upset Westfall and get out of the sectional, will people see it as a smart move? I think I would.

So then every team should throw out what happened in the regular-season and just vote themselves No. 1 so they get the best matchup? I mean, according to your logic, it's their job to try and get their team the best matchup and to get the deepest in the tournament. Screw honesty and doing what is right. Great example for the kids.

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

What's getting overshadowed here is the teams that put a RV over SE, what was the justification for that? And we're they not from the same league, if what an above poster mentioned.

sportsfan_mov
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsfan_mov »

"Thats comparing apples and oranges..Trimble has a new coach (maybe best in SE Ohio). Belpre has same coach, played similar schedule. I could see your point if they would have went out in the off season and beefed up their non league schedule with some of the teams in the sectional but they didn't, they continue to play D4 schools in their non league. It is comparable but I am sure you will be right and me wrong simply because you run a web site and are on the radio"

Belpre does not have the same coach. They have a new coach for girls AND a new coach for boys. As for Belpre's schedule, they have 16 conference games... they have no control over that. Next year's schedule does have some changes though with the addition of Fairland, Meigs, a holiday tournament at Parkersburg High School, and a head-to-head with River Valley.

I do find it a shame that the same coaches who are supposed to be teaching morals, character, ethics, and integrity go into the seed drawing and vote themselves and 1 seed when they aren't even a top 5 team, and vote a team who has a 16-5 record as the 9 seed. Ludicrous and asinine to say the least...

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The only way you'll get "Honesty and Integrity" is to go to a point system like football. Coaches will vote their own self interests---to think otherwise is naive. All most all coaches will consider the hard work, sweat, and tears of their players over that of others.

And.... to be completely realistic---like someone above mentioned---their jobs are sometimes on the line.

You have dedicated years of work to get to where you are----there are rumblings about your job---now you can "Wheel and Deal" to put yourself in a position to win a Sectional or you can meekly go into the draw and get a team that beat you by 40 twice this year.

There is a difference in losing by 40 and losing by forty after you cut down the nets in the game before.

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

sportsfan_mov wrote:"Thats comparing apples and oranges..Trimble has a new coach (maybe best in SE Ohio). Belpre has same coach, played similar schedule. I could see your point if they would have went out in the off season and beefed up their non league schedule with some of the teams in the sectional but they didn't, they continue to play D4 schools in their non league. It is comparable but I am sure you will be right and me wrong simply because you run a web site and are on the radio"

Belpre does not have the same coach. They have a new coach for girls AND a new coach for boys. As for Belpre's schedule, they have 16 conference games... they have no control over that. Next year's schedule does have some changes though with the addition of Fairland, Meigs, a holiday tournament at Parkersburg High School, and a head-to-head with River Valley.

I do find it a shame that the same coaches who are supposed to be teaching morals, character, ethics, and integrity go into the seed drawing and vote themselves and 1 seed when they aren't even a top 5 team, and vote a team who has a 16-5 record as the 9 seed. Ludicrous and asinine to say the least...

Belpre has a new coach, he was at Warren last season.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Helped got the better end of this. RV gets Westfall. Good luck with that!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Fortdawg wrote:The only way you'll get "Honesty and Integrity" is to go to a point system like football. Coaches will vote their own self interests---to think otherwise is naive. All most all coaches will consider the hard work, sweat, and tears of their players over that of others.

And.... to be completely realistic---like someone above mentioned---their jobs are sometimes on the line.

You have dedicated years of work to get to where you are----there are rumblings about your job---now you can "Wheel and Deal" to put yourself in a position to win a Sectional or you can meekly go into the draw and get a team that beat you by 40 twice this year.

There is a difference in losing by 40 and losing by forty after you cut down the nets in the game before.
I'd argue that if you are in high school coaching for just winning then you are in the wrong profession. Sure we want to win, but there is a lot more that goes with it, such as developing character and dignity in our young people, which helps building winners. I could see if your team is 14-5 and another team is 15-4 for voting for your team. That's two similar records. But when we have teams that are 8-11 and 9-11 being voted above teams that are 16-5, 16-4 and 18-3 to manipulate the system, that is beyond ridiculous. It's saying we didn't earn something but we are going to take it anyway. Great lesson for the young folks. I can't believe we actually have people trying to rationalize the absurd.

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Belpre does have a new coach and they are a better team, CavsFan.

They own wins over Wood County (15-4), Southern (16-4), Caldwell, twice, by more than 20 points - who beat No. 5 Crooksville. And Belpre lost 69-68 to (15-6) Eastern on a last second shot.

Belpre has no bad losses either.
Waterford (19-1) x2
Hoover (13-4)
Southern (16-4)
Eastern (15-6) x2

River Valley on the other hand has ZERO quality wins and losses to Vinton County (6-12), Eastern by 16, who Belpre nearly beat, and Tolsia (6-11).

The seeding should have been ... IMO

5. Belpre (16-6)
6. Croksville (9-11)
7. River Valley (9-11)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Figured it would get to here

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Bman, so according to you, your school should get Mother Teresa to coach. There would be plenty of integrity and I have no doubt she would always vote to be fair.

Now all you have to do is convince your Community, Administration, and Board that all that winning stuff is overrated.

Point out to me if you will the school that has fired a coach for being really successful (that winning stuff again)---you can come up with a few where a coach didn't play the right kids or broke the law maybe but not the coach that wins year after year and is let go.

I've seen schools keep coaches that recruited kids in to play solely for their athlete ability. I've seen schools hire coaches that they know will leave as soon as the talent level drops. I've seen a lot of guys/gals put their program ahead of others---I would imagine they had the Community's support when they did so.

If you are looking for purity---it doesn't exist. Coaches look for an edge for their players----the ones who don't usually don't last.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I'm old so I'll repeat myself--you want fairness and integrity? Go to a point system like football---there's no other way.

A lot of this is a tempest in a teacup---the 1 and 2 seeds matter and the 4 and 5 are competitive. There will be upsets but I'll ask again---When was the last time someone seeded 6th thru 11th won a District?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Fortdawg wrote:Bman, so according to you, your school should get Mother Teresa to coach. There would be plenty of integrity and I have no doubt she would always vote to be fair.

Now all you have to do is convince your Community, Administration, and Board that all that winning stuff is overrated.

Point out to me if you will the school that has fired a coach for being really successful (that winning stuff again)---you can come up with a few where a coach didn't play the right kids or broke the law maybe but not the coach that wins year after year and is let go.

I've seen schools keep coaches that recruited kids in to play solely for their athlete ability. I've seen schools hire coaches that they know will leave as soon as the talent level drops. I've seen a lot of guys/gals put their program ahead of others---I would imagine they had the Community's support when they did so.

If you are looking for purity---it doesn't exist. Coaches look for an edge for their players----the ones who don't usually don't last.
Great solution! Now all we need is for Dean Smith to give Mother Teresa coaching lessons and we'll have the best of both worlds. :-D :-D :-D :-D
Last edited by bman on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:Belpre does have a new coach and they are a better team, CavsFan.

They own wins over Wood County (15-4), Southern (16-4), Caldwell, twice, by more than 20 points - who beat No. 5 Crooksville. And Belpre lost 69-68 to (15-6) Eastern on a last second shot.

Belpre has no bad losses either.
Waterford (19-1) x2
Hoover (13-4)
Southern (16-4)
Eastern (15-6) x2

River Valley on the other hand has ZERO quality wins and losses to Vinton County (6-12), Eastern by 16, who Belpre nearly beat, and Tolsia (6-11).

The seeding should have been ... IMO

5. Belpre (16-6)
6. Crooksville (9-11)
7. River Valley (9-11)
Facts are stubborn things.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

thebearupthere34 wrote:Image

Easy solution - strip the right for River Valley and Wellston girls coaches to vote next year because they flunked the sectional examination with flying Fs. :122249

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Bman we aren't ever going to agree but your last comment intrigues me. :)
I like it but I don't see how it is administered---who gets to say who is punished? Another question I have----does the punishment go with the coach or school?

Everybody, but me, seems pissed at the RV coach---what if we punish them and then they leave the school---even better what happens if they move to a new school in the Sectional?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I wouldn't say I was pissed at the coach Fortdawg ... maybe a little I guess ... I just can't stand stupidity and voting the Raiders No. 1 was down right ignorant.

:mrgreen:

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Fortdawg wrote:There will be upsets but I'll ask again---When was the last time someone seeded 6th thru 11th won a District?
Wheelersburg boys were the 7 seed last year and were district champs.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Fortdawg wrote:Bman we aren't ever going to agree but your last comment intrigues me. :)
I like it but I don't see how it is administered---who gets to say who is punished? Another question I have----does the punishment go with the coach or school?

Everybody, but me, seems pissed at the RV coach---what if we punish them and then they leave the school---even better what happens if they move to a new school in the Sectional?
I was saying that as a half-joke. I disagree with how some of the teams voted, but the ones that are ridiculous are River Valley and Wellston. Frankly, it would have been easier when RV voted itself No. 1 to ask them to revote or have their ability to vote discarded for this occasion due to being ridiculous. I don 't know the process you go about to establish something like that but it would be interesting.

I get teams that are similar, like Alex, SE and Westfall working to get the best seed they can, or similarly Crooksville and RV doing the same thing at where they are going to be. But when RV and Wellston make ridiculous votes, like RV voting itself one, it sends a bad signal saying we are going to game the system and take something we didn't earn. I would hope the ADs at both RV and Wellston would just take their coaches aside for a moment and say pulling stunts like this is embarrassing to our school and we aren't going to do it again and let that be that.

Or maybe if a below .500 team votes itself No. 1 the next time they get a pie thrown in their face. :122249

Return to “Girls Basketball”