SE

Re: 2012 Boy's Scores

Post by osumufan »

South Point 3 Ironton St. Joe 0

EHSoccer
Riding the Bench

Post by EHSoccer »

Missing the following games for Sept 13. Help please...

Northwest (McDermott) Glenwood (New Boston)
Belpre Ohio Valley Christian School (Gallipolis)

old_horse
JV Team

Post by old_horse »

Lynchburg Clay 6 North Adams 1

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Flatlander1 wrote:Beaver Eastern 0
Peebles Indians 12
IMO Peebles class of Southeastern Ohio, look for them in the state tourny.
Interesting. Not saying that they won't(I hope they do make it there!) but only 2 SE district teams have every advanced to the Final Four, with neither advancing to the Finals and each of them had multiple great playmakers. I'm interesting in seeing how the Indians progress through the rest of the season!

silverstreak
Waterboy

Post by silverstreak »

9/11
Fairfield-Leesburg 1
Wilmington 2

9/12
Fairfield-Leesburg 3
Adena 0

9/14
Greenfield McClain 2
Fairfield-Leesburg 2

Fairfield-Leesburg now stands at 5-2-1

alexandersoccer
Waterboy

Post by alexandersoccer »

alexander 0 athens 0 great soccer!

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Chillicothe 5
Zane Trace 0

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Athens 3
Waverly 2

Great game by both teams. Hard fought on a hot day on the turf. Both teams should be really proud of their effort. Back and forth game with Athens pulling it out with some clutch plays to get goals.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Waverly and Athens was a very exciting game. Waverly controlled the majority of possession and had the majority of the shots but Athens took advantage of their set pieces and scored twice. I'm not sure Athens had more than 5 shots on goal. Waverly had a goal called back in the 1st half on a very questionable foul call but that is how the ball rolls. It will be a very exciting time come tourney time with so many good teams in SE DII.

old_horse
JV Team

Post by old_horse »

Lynchburg Clay 1 Eastern Brown 3

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

socman wrote:Waverly and Athens was a very exciting game. Waverly controlled the majority of possession and had the majority of the shots but Athens took advantage of their set pieces and scored twice. I'm not sure Athens had more than 5 shots on goal. Waverly had a goal called back in the 1st half on a very questionable foul call but that is how the ball rolls. It will be a very exciting time come tourney time with so many good teams in SE DII.

socman... I don't know if you'll see it on your guys game film depending on the angle, but your player who scored the goal that got called back, hooked his left arm around the defender's right arm while they were running together like they were square dancing and trapped it there. Subtle (and kind of impressive) move, but he got caught by the linesman on that side of the field who was looking right at it. I do appreciate you mentioning it somewhat diplomatically though, rather than blame the result on it. Both teams fought hard and battled fairly.

Darn close game. We had Waverly with 7 shots on goal (meaning literally on the goal frame and not flying over or wide) and Athens with 4. Yup, Athens scored on three of our four shots on goal.

On a side note, I would not like to predict how the sectionals on the side with Athens, Waverly and everyone else will pan out. I think anyone can beat anyone this year and I haven't seen a clear favorite on this side yet. I think Unioto is slightly ahead of the others and has the most experience and firepower up top. Come tourney time though, it could get interesting.

marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

soccerfanatic wrote: On a side note, I would not like to predict how the sectionals on the side with Athens, Waverly and everyone else will pan out. I think anyone can beat anyone this year and I haven't seen a clear favorite on this side yet. I think Unioto is slightly ahead of the others and has the most experience and firepower up top. Come tourney time though, it could get interesting.

Wow I agree with this statement. Many big games yet to play, but so far this year you have a mess of things when it comes to sorting out potential seeding.
Unioto seems to be in control of their own destiny and a #1 seed, but after that you have a jumbled mess - Marietta who beat Warren, but Marietta lost to Chillicothe, but Chillicothe lost to Warren. Marietta beat Athens, Athens beat Waverly. Unioto has 1 goal wins over both Athens and Waverly and according to their schedule still has a game left with Chillicothe which could make things really interesting. Marietta still has a meeting with Warren and a game with Waverly. Seems like in the district this year these teams can beat each other on any given night. Would not want to be part of the decision making process for tournament. Ashame that all of these teams (Unioto, Chillicothe, Athens, Warren, Waverly and Marietta) are in the same sectional.

newschool
Waterboy

Post by newschool »

danicalifornia wrote:
Peebles Indians 12
Interesting. Not saying that they won't(I hope they do make it there!) but only 2 SE district teams have every advanced to the Final Four, with neither advancing to the Finals and each of them had multiple great playmakers. I'm interesting in seeing how the Indians progress through the rest of the season!
Who were those 2 teams? - Give some history!

newschool
Waterboy

Post by newschool »

Bucknuts wrote:Chillicothe 5
Zane Trace 0
Did you see this game? I am curious to know what happened...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

newschool wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:
Peebles Indians 12
Who were those 2 teams? - Give some history!
Lucasville Valley in 98. Led by Eric Mains (32 goals, 40 assists) and I believe they had an exchange student up top, but were very, VERY good. Lost to Canal Fulton NW 7-2 in the State Semi's.
Unioto in 04. Led by Clifton Brown(15 goals, 25 assists, 4yr starter at Valpo) and Tyler Bryant(39 goals, Nati Champ at Ohio Wesleyen), along with an extremely strong D. Lost 3-1 to Cinci Hills Christian in the State Semi's with some dubious officiating decisions.

We've had some very good teams fall before the Final Four in the past few years.
2011- Minford (Regional Semi's) in D3, Warren (Regional Semi's) in D2
2010- Wheelersburg (Regional Semi's) in D3, Marietta (Regional Semi's) in D2
2009- South Webster(Regional Finals) in D3, Marietta(Regional Semi's) in D2
2008- Minford(Regional Finals) in D3, Athens(Regional Semi's) in D2
2007- Marietta(Regional Semi's) in D2
2006- Zane Trace(Regional Semi's) in D3, Warren (Regional Semi's) in D2
2005- Zane Trace(Regional Finals) in D3, Jackson (Regional Semi's) in D2
2004- Unioto(State Semi's) in D3, South Webster(Regional Semi's, lost to Unioto) in D3, Athens(Regional Semi's) in D2
2003- Athens(Regional Semi's) in D2
2002- Unioto(Regional Finals) in D3, Athens(Regional Finals) in D2, Alexander(Regional Semi's, lost to Unioto) in D3
2001- Athens(Regional Semi's) in D2
2000- Wheelersburg(Regional Semi's) in D3, Minford(Regional Semi's) in D2

I can't find the brackets for before 2000, but I know Minford advanced to the Regionals in 1999, Lucasville to State in 1998 and Alexander made regular trips to the Regionals in the 90's as well.

newschool
Waterboy

Post by newschool »

Considering that most of the other districts have a more urban base available and a host of private (IMO unfair) schools to be involved to those levels is encouraging and speaks to the level of soccer played in our corner of the state. Thanks!

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Newschool.... yes, I watched the Chillicothe / ZT game. I coach at Chillicothe.

Chillicothe scored 3 goals in the first 8 minutes of play and never really looked back It was 4-0 at half... Both teams played very hard and it was a clean match. Not really too much to say, our team seems to be coming together nicely after a tough first 3 games.

Have now won 4 in a row... all shut-outs. Have a big match with Warren Thursday

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

My thoughts exactly on the South D2 Southeast seeding possibilities....

As the Chillicothe HS coach I sent an email to the Southeast District Board president this past week with these exact concerns. Many coaches have mentioned this "balance of power" problem before as it relates to the North and South Divisions. It really creates an inequitable situation.

The South seems loaded this year again with Chillicothe, Marietta, Warren, Waverly, and Unioto having the potential for great years (and solid records) and teams like Athens and Jackson able to step up on any given day and beat anyone.

I know since Chillicothe dropped to D2 in 2005 a team from the South has won the Districts every year. In fact, I believe there was only one year in those 7 team from the North has had a team in the district finals. It is usually two teams from the North.

Not trying to slight the teams and programs from the North, but the fact is it is far tougher to reach the districts if competing in the South Division.

Take Unioto for instance. They are a proud program with a nice tradition of winning and have had great success within the Southeast for years. They have not reached the district finals since going to D2 because of how difficult it is to get through the South Division. It is a very difficult task.

During these past 7 years Warren, Marietta, Jackson, and Athens have all won the Districts. Our Chillicothe team has lost 4 district finals in those 7 years with some great teams. It is a very difficult task....

I asked the Southeast District Board to consider seeding all 15 teams. (1 vs 15, 2 vs 14, etc...) This is the way it is done in the Central District and other districts. It is the oly fair soultion. Right now things are set up because of geographical concerns only.

Obviously things are set for this year and cannot be changed, but I was asked to try to get myself (or someone) to one of the boards winter meetings to speak on this issue. I will talk with my colleagues at this years seeding meeting and get their thoughts.

On a side note.....

I believe Chillicothe is in a great situation to control their own destiny for this years seeding. Chillicothe beat Marietta in our only match-up, and we still have games against Unioto, Waverly, and Athens. Chillicothe lost a 2-1 decision to Warren on the road but has them at home this Thursday.

The seeding is difficult, but that is why most teams in the South Division try to play other. Chillicothe and Marietta dont have to play each other and hate the 2 1/2 hour bus ride, but it helps withthe seeding process. I would be much easier (and more economical) to stay close to home and play North Dision teams such as Logan Elm or Miami Trace but that doesnt help our situation during the seeding process.

Some teams play more difficult schedules than others, so the real decider becomes the head-to-head competition. In other words....the head-to-head key match-ups throughout the regular season carry a great deal of weight during seeding. Overall record and strength of schedule are also considerations.

marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

Bucknuts wrote:My thoughts exactly on the South D2 Southeast seeding possibilities....

As the Chillicothe HS coach I sent an email to the Southeast District Board president this past week with these exact concerns. Many coaches have mentioned this "balance of power" problem before as it relates to the North and South Divisions. It really creates an inequitable situation.

The South seems loaded this year again with Chillicothe, Marietta, Warren, Waverly, and Unioto having the potential for great years (and solid records) and teams like Athens and Jackson able to step up on any given day and beat anyone.

I know since Chillicothe dropped to D2 in 2005 a team from the South has won the Districts every year. In fact, I believe there was only one year in those 7 team from the North has had a team in the district finals. It is usually two teams from the North.

Not trying to slight the teams and programs from the North, but the fact is it is far tougher to reach the districts if competing in the South Division.

Take Unioto for instance. They are a proud program with a nice tradition of winning and have had great success within the Southeast for years. They have not reached the district finals since going to D2 because of how difficult it is to get through the South Division. It is a very difficult task.

During these past 7 years Warren, Marietta, Jackson, and Athens have all won the Districts. Our Chillicothe team has lost 4 district finals in those 7 years with some great teams. It is a very difficult task....

I asked the Southeast District Board to consider seeding all 15 teams. (1 vs 15, 2 vs 14, etc...) This is the way it is done in the Central District and other districts. It is the oly fair soultion. Right now things are set up because of geographical concerns only.

Obviously things are set for this year and cannot be changed, but I was asked to try to get myself (or someone) to one of the boards winter meetings to speak on this issue. I will talk with my colleagues at this years seeding meeting and get their thoughts.

On a side note.....

I believe Chillicothe is in a great situation to control their own destiny for this years seeding. Chillicothe beat Marietta in our only match-up, and we still have games against Unioto, Waverly, and Athens. Chillicothe lost a 2-1 decision to Warren on the road but has them at home this Thursday.

The seeding is difficult, but that is why most teams in the South Division try to play other. Chillicothe and Marietta dont have to play each other and hate the 2 1/2 hour bus ride, but it helps withthe seeding process. I would be much easier (and more economical) to stay close to home and play North Dision teams such as Logan Elm or Miami Trace but that doesnt help our situation during the seeding process.

Some teams play more difficult schedules than others, so the real decider becomes the head-to-head competition. In other words....the head-to-head key match-ups throughout the regular season carry a great deal of weight during seeding. Overall record and strength of schedule are also considerations.

Good post! It looks as though Chillicothe also has the possbility to control their own fate in the tournament. I know Marietta is in a tough situation with the move to the ECOL that is comprised of nothing but East District schools, but I know that Coach Morris makes an effort to continue to schedule as many SE District teams as possible on the non league portion of the schedule - this year on the schedule are games with Warren (twice, home and away - GREAT gate and rivalry game!!), Chillicothe, Athens and Waverly.

I like the idea of seeding the whole district 1-16. Hopefully that can happen in the future.

Return to “Soccer”