Freshman Team

Re: #6 Newark Catholic vs #2 Southern Regional semis

Post by Charlie hustle »

Lincoln County's finest. lol

spectator
Waterboy

Post by spectator »

Are the group of kids from a local community that have went to school together since grade school? Just wondering? From talking to a fan from NC I was told several of the players were not from there area.But outside of Jimmy carrying the team I wasn't real impress. I think a recruiting Catholic School should play all Div 1 schools. I 'm sure that's what they do in Pa. & several other States.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Charlie Hustle wrote:Lincoln County's finest. lol
Where is Lincoln County?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

spectator wrote:Are the group of kids from a local community that have went to school together since grade school? Just wondering? From talking to a fan from NC I was told several of the players were not from there area.But outside of Jimmy carrying the team I wasn't real impress. I think a recruiting Catholic School should play all Div 1 schools. I 'm sure that's what they do in Pa. & several other States.
I went to a public school myself and I always hear about these private schools like Newark Catholic recruiting, however those who cry this never have any proof of this.I would as a public school grad love to see this proven.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2 ... |Frontpage

Newark Catholic baseball wins regional semifinal

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Great season Tornadoes! 27-1 is a great season. Anytime a team goes undefeated in baseball is pretty impressive. Beating good teams like Gallia Academy that was ranked in the top 10 all year in D2, Federal Hocking that only lost 6-0 to power house D3 Wheelersburg, Eastern that made it to the district finals, Wahama that made it to state in WV and class AA Roane Co. to name a few. I watched a game today with only one real hard hit. Both pitchers played well, Southern had an inning with some unearned runs that hurt them. As far as hitting I don't think either team hit the ball very well other than the homerun in the 1st. Southern didn't really get to display their speed much today which I think was one of their main strengths this season. Good luck to the seniors Roseberry, Martin, Taylor, Hill and Custer you will be missed.It was fun watching you guys this season!

defenserules
Riding the Bench

Post by defenserules »

Nc fan
Ok, let's just suppose that NC doesn't recruit....they do have UNLIMITED OPEN enrollment in the whole Newark/zanesville/Granville/?? Area --- and they manage to limit it to only THE best athletes in order to stay div4 in baseball. THAT is what everyone in SE Ohio public schools is pissed about ==== unfair !!!

Defense rules

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:
Charlie Hustle wrote:Lincoln County's finest. lol
Where is Lincoln County?

Don't play dumb.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Valley got beat by Berlin Hiland, does BH recruit too? What happened to losing with class? Southern had a great season and should be proud, no need to badmouth NC.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Recruiting? Do the schools honestly go out and try and get the best to transfer and pursued them to leave? I would say not hardly. But kids have the choice to leave their school and switch to any school they want. This Private school debate is rather comical. Stop making excuses, you had a successful season and ran into a tough Newark Catholic team, give them credit and have some class.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I have met many Southern fans during past baseball seasons and none acted the way some do on here.
Overall Southern fans are very classy and have nothing but respect from me, and for the record I HAVE NO TIES TO NEWARK CATHOLIC.

The reasons I root for them have been posted many of times over the seasons, but do to some past parents from Newark Catholic I no longer post them,only to save them from acting so childish on these sites. :oops:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I can't really say for sure which side of the fence I'm on - but sometimes where there is smoke there is fire ... The article in the Messsenger stated that NC has been to 6 of the last 7 state tournaments? Now, I just don't know of any other 'public' school that can sustain that kind of success ... If a school is located in a city/town as big as Newark - and any kid from that area can go to that school - then yea, it might be a little bit of an advantage.

In order to look at it properly - you would have to look at all the players for NC, where they grew up, how far from the school do they live, how long have they lived their, etc... etc... I know in Racine, you can hold your breath and drive threw the entire town - most kids can probably throw a rock and hit another teamates house - and its been that way since they were in the 1st grade.

For that - I personally think the 6 straight trips to the regionals by Southern is more impressive than Newark Catholic's 6 trips to the state tournament.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

go hiland

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

In this economy and the way kids are transferring out of the private school and back into the public school I say it is a great accomplishment for the Private school, too.

spectator
Waterboy

Post by spectator »

That was well said 93 bulldog! You're exactly right.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

93Bulldog wrote:I can't really say for sure which side of the fence I'm on - but sometimes where there is smoke there is fire ... The article in the Messsenger stated that NC has been to 6 of the last 7 state tournaments? Now, I just don't know of any other 'public' school that can sustain that kind of success ... If a school is located in a city/town as big as Newark - and any kid from that area can go to that school - then yea, it might be a little bit of an advantage.

In order to look at it properly - you would have to look at all the players for NC, where they grew up, how far from the school do they live, how long have they lived their, etc... etc... I know in Racine, you can hold your breath and drive threw the entire town - most kids can probably throw a rock and hit another teamates house - and its been that way since they were in the 1st grade.

For that - I personally think the 6 straight trips to the regionals by Southern is more impressive than Newatrk Catholic's 6 trips to the state tournament.
Wheelersburg - 2012,2011, 2010 (2nd), 2008, 1996 (1st) Nothing against Southern but Wheelersburg has been to four of the last five

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

That's a good run ... 08, 10, 11 and 12 - I'm glad we have a team from southeastern Ohio representing! I'll be cheering for the 'Burg for sure to win one for our region.

Wonder how many times the Pirates had to beat a private school to get out of the regionals? Have they faced or lost to any at the state level?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wheelersburg obstacles to the state tournament:

2012 ... Piketon & St. Clairsville
2011 ... Lucasville Valley & Piketon
2010 ... Westfall & Federal Hocking
2008 ... Indian Valley & Adena

supermama
Freshman Team

Post by supermama »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:That is such a weak arguement and made by one I am sure who has no clue how long the group from Newark Cathoic has played together.
newarkcatholicfan wrote:In this economy and the way kids are transferring out of the private school and back into the public school I say it is a great accomplishment for the Private school, too.
So prove us wrong. Produce a roster with date of enrollment. As for the economy, I know kids personally that attend private schools on "scholarship" money. They just happen to be D1 prospects. And yes, I know this for a fact. Southern, Eastern, and Meigs are all small schools with LOCAL kids that have been together since kindergarten in a rural area. We don't have 10 of thousands of kids to pick from in surrounding cities and surely don't have any industry that would "lure" people with athletic kids to move here to play on our local public school teams. Schools like NC scout kids in surrounding areas and encourage them to transfer into their system. It happens everyday. If violations occur, such as with the Harvest Prep program, the kids just pack up and go to another program, ie-Africentric. Until OHSAA separates public and private schools, there will never be a level playing field. It can be done, other states separate them for playoffs. If this would happen, I don't care if NC wins 20 state titles. At least then the kids in public schools, who get a good group every 20-30 years, would play other public schools in the same situation.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

When they do seperate and the first thing that will occur is the public schools who do not have open enrollment will start crying that it isn't fair for them to play against other public schools that do.

Somebody will whine no matter what.

Return to “Baseball”