Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Prime Time
S

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by Prime Time »

Not suprising with a top tier Coach. Coach Lisath is one of top talent developers in the State of Ohio. Look at his resume, winner wherever he goes and he demands 100 percent and kids love him. Portsmouth should be honored to have him as Head Basketball Coach.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

All I'm going to say is that the Trojans will have a much different look than what was projected at the end of this past season. Wasn't feeling particularly optimistic at that time, but now that optimism is back. There is a possibility that PHS could end up a D4 school now that the 7 division system will be in place for 2024-25. Before all this, the Trojans were a projected D5 school, but only 7 boys from D4.

On another note, I figured out the math that if Portsmouth did not win a single game for the next 30 years, our all time record would still be .500. Amazing stat.

The Trojans are scheduled to go to the Rio Grande Shootout on Sat.June 15, and then will play in the Shawnee State Shootout at the end of the month.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:52 am All I'm going to say is that the Trojans will have a much different look than what was projected at the end of this past season. Wasn't feeling particularly optimistic at that time, but now that optimism is back. There is a possibility that PHS could end up a D4 school now that the 7 division system will be in place for 2024-25. Before all this, the Trojans were a projected D5 school, but only 7 boys from D4.

On another note, I figured out the math that if Portsmouth did not win a single game for the next 30 years, our all time record would still be .500. Amazing stat.

The Trojans are scheduled to go to the Rio Grande Shootout on Sat.June 15, and then will play in the Shawnee State Shootout at the end of the month.
Aren't the divisions locked in as of now regardless of who comes in after the recent count?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

FalconFever02: After reading the guidelines for the new divisions for next season, I believe you are correct in your statement, with the exception being that there are some schools that could opt into D1 based on the passing of a referendum. Obviously, that won't affect anybody in the SE district.

So right now it looks like PHS will stay D5.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

This year's divisions are figured from last year's count.. next year's from this coming year.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

How did the Trojans look this past weekend with the new additions?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I didn't go to the Rio Grande Shootout, but my source told me that the varsity Trojans went 3-1, losing to S.Webster, then beat Cabell Midland, Fairland, and Coal Grove. Good showing considering that PHS was playing some new additions that haven't had much time playing together. The JV Trojans went 1-2.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Trojandave I saw Fairland play at the Ashland Summer league. Buchanan had half their points and Ashland handled them pretty easy. The Peake played and beat Russell and Lucasville Valley. They will play at Marshall Fri. and Sat.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Correction on the Rio shootout.......the PHS JV beat the Fairland JV, and the varsity went 2-1.

Peake71: Your OVC defending champion Panthers should be a contender once again in 2024-25. Of course they will have to replace the OVC POY Danny Maynard.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Who all has transferred? I have been told Thomas from ND and Adkins from Wheelersburg.

Who else?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I've been told D. Woods from ND as well.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

As far as transfers, Connie Thomas, Daquan Woods from ND, Logan Adkins from Wheelersburg, another incoming freshman (first name CreShawn), I believe he was at ND, and and Manny Thomas, Connie's brother, who will be an 8th grader. C.Thomas, D.Woods, and L.Adkins will all be juniors.

Of course things can change over the course of the summer, but as of right now to my knowledge these players have transferred in.

Might as well bring this info out, as everyone knows you can't keep a secret in a small town, especially when it comes to transfers.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Some nice additions to go along with the returning Malachi Loper.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Portsmouth going to be decent again next year with these additions. Adkins and Thomas makes them so much better offensively. Rebounding/interior defense still looks like an issue though.

Also, that 8th grade class for Portsmouth was already nasty. Adding the younger Thomas to the mix just makes them even better. That group could do big things for PHS a few years from now.*

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

It's summer ball so it's hard to tell anything,but I went to the scrimmage today against northwest and seen some good things ,the woods kid looked really good today and is great on defense, hi moter.

Everyone had some high points, Jayden Brewer has gotten into great shape and can help this team a lot .

Adkins had a great showing as well.

Northwest lost a lot from last year but they are still a solid team,the kid they got from Valley will help them a lot.
Not sure if northwest had every one or not ,but Portsmouth had about everyone except Thomas who is nursing a ankle issue.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Good points by biggdowgg about yesterday's scrimmage, and I am excited about the potential of this group. I see a well rounded team, whereas last year the Trojans relied heavily on DeAndre Berry to carry the load.

Yet another move-in from West Portsmouth (don't know his name) will join the already loaded 8th grade group. Talked to Coach Kevin Monroe and he is really excited about getting him.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Watched The Peake play Marshall 's camp today. They beat a revised Beckley team that had mix between varsity and jv to field two teams. Won fairly easy. Beat Wahama , hard to tell about Wahama they got freshman that can light it up. Last game they beat a good St Albans team that had some size and quickness. Best game we saw all day, won by 6 playing on Marshall floor with both team nailing several college 3's.
Tomorrow will play Westside, Herbert Hoover and North Marion.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Think you're on the wrong thread old timer.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Sorry about that.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I want to give a shout out to Coach Aaron Smith, who did a great job coaching the Trojans at the Northwest scrimmage. He had the kids playing hard, and all the kids got PT. Also want to mention Jerald Gordon, who not only coaches but does a lot for the program outside of the X's and O's, as does Tom Bailey.

Return to “Boys Basketball”